Caihua Rellena // Stuffed Caigua

1. Simona says:

How interesting! I had never heard of this vegetable, so I am glad you wrote about this tasty recipe. I wonder if it is sold in the US.

2. Nora B. says:

Gretchen, that looks and sounds so unique. One of the things I love about blogging is learning about food from other countries, so thanks for teaching me about caigua. :-)Norap/s: your beetroot cake sounds delicious – how did you manage to keep it golden?

3. Madam Chow says:

Gretchen Noelle,I’ve posted the maracuya recipe, as I promised! This is the first time I’ve visited your blog, and it’s wonderful!

Simona – I have never seen this in the US, but wikipedia lists several names by which its known…maybe with one of those names it would be easier to find?Nora – You are welcome! I will be posting about the beetroot cake in the next week so check back soon for the recipe!Madam Chow – Thank you! I love maracuya and would love to try it as a curd.

5. Gay Carrillo says:

Haven’t come across this veggie yet. It certainly looks yummy with all that stuffing!

6. Kalyn says:

I’ve never seen or heard of this vegetable, and love reading about it. I’m wondering though, just what is aji panca? Haven’t heard of that either. Wish I could taste this, it sounds quite intriguing.

7. Kalyn says:

BTW, just checked Wikipedia and I’ve never heard of any of the other names either, so I don’t think we have this in Utah.

8. swirlingnotions says:

Wow, this looks fantastic! Is it really hollow like that? It reminds me of the inside of a calla lily stem.

Gay – These are delicious and may even be tasty in a bell pepper if those are available where you are.Kayln – Too bad these are not available where you are, I had never seen them before moving here. But I do think they are exported now. Aji Panca…I am working on a post all about it. Essentially it is a paste made from a dried spicy pepper and is a crucial part of Peruvian food. Swirling notions – It is in fact hollow inside and I was rather surprised when I first saw one and now ever so thankful when I prepare them since they are so easy to clean out!

10. Laurie Constantino says:

This week’s WHB has been amazing — a whole collection of plants i’ve never used or never heard of, including this one. Fascinating post, and I’m so glad you introduced us to cuigua!

Laurie, you are very welcome and i hope to get out a couple more recipes with caihua as it is a very delicate and delicious vegetable!

1. January 1, 2013

[…] 30. Arroz Tapado 31. Asado de Res 32. Bistec a lo Pobre 33. Butifarra 34. Cabrito a la Norteña 35. Caihua Rellena 36. Carapulcra 37. Cebiche 38. Chicharrón 39. Chilcano 40. Escabeche 41. Espesado 42. Estofado de […]