Birthdays are always special days. A friend of mine is a chocolate coffee addict. I wanted to make her day special by creating something especially for her! By combining my traditional brownie recipe with filling from a café con leche pie, I served a decadent treat to which she exclaimed, “This is the best cake I have ever eaten!” Who wouldn’t be prouder?
- 1 cup of dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of extra strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups of prepared whipped cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- For brownie base: Melt chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Add eggs to chocolate mixture (temper eggs if necessary). Add sugar and vanilla, stir to combine. Add flour and baking soda, beat to mix completely. Pour into a springform pan, coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes. Brownies will be slightly sticky when tested. Cool brownies completely before adding coffee layer.
- For coffee filling: Pour brewed coffee in a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle gelatin powder over coffee and let stand for 10 minutes. Combine cream cheese and condensed milk in a blender, process until smooth. Add coffee mixture to cheese mixture, process until well combined. Pour coffee filling over brownie base. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Spread whipped cream over filling and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Chill 1 hour before serving.