Main Dish

WHB – Breakfast Acelga Squares

Breakfast Acelga SquaresAfter a week in the Andes mountains, eating potato after potato, I had been once again craving vegetables. The very same night I returned, I visited a very busy grocery store and bought lots and lots of fruits and vegetables. I had one recipe in mind for my first morning back in Lima.

I had seen an interesting recipe on The Wednesday Chef and wondered how I could make it work here in Peru. She made a recipe for collard squares based on a recipe from Regina Schrambling. I decided to make some substitutions in the recipe with ingredients a bit more accessible here in Peru and slight changes in the preparation.

Besides the lettuce and spinach, acegla is the other green which is used frequently here in Peru. Acegla in Spanish is Swiss chard in English. It looks to me almost like a wide celery stalk with fan like leaves on both sides.

Acelga does not just taste good, it is good for you! According to World’s Healthiest Foods, “If vegetables got grades for traditional nutrients alone, Swiss chard would be one of the vegetable valedictorians.” Their rating system declares “excellent marks for its concentrations of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron, vitamin E, and dietary fiber.”

Breakfast Acelga Squares

• 250grams of acelga, chopped
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup of bread crumbs

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a skillet, heat butter and olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until transparent. Add mushrooms, red pepper and salt; then cook for 3 more minutes. Add soy sauce and acelga; cooking until the acelga is wilted. Cool slightly.
  3. In another bowl, mix the eggs, cheese and bread crumbs. Add the acelga mixture. Stir to combine.
  4. Add acelga mixture to a square baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Remove and cool slightly before serving.

Notes

Kitchen Tip: The acelga can be substituted with spinach or other leafy greens. I served my acelga squares with halved cherry tomatoes that had been sprinkled with salt and splashed with lime juice and olive oil.

These delicious Breakfast Acelga Squares are this weeks’ entry for Weekend Herb Blogging, originally created by Kalyn at Kalyn’s Kitchen and this week is hosted by (corrected 23Jan08) Anna from Anna’s Cool Finds.

12 Responses to “WHB – Breakfast Acelga Squares”

1. These look so excellent for breakfast or brunch! Super-yum!

Posted by Cakespy | January 23, 2008, 1:33 am
  2. Those images are divine! LOVE that first one of the squares. Very nice and they look so tasty.

Posted by Eikon Photography | January 23, 2008, 1:41 pm
  3. Looking good! Great breakfast idea.

Posted by Karen Downing | January 23, 2008, 3:51 pm
  4. This is my kind of breakfast! I would make them in muffin tins, so they’d be pre-portioned and ready to take to work.

Posted by Lydia | January 23, 2008, 4:34 pm
  5. Those look so good! I wish I could have that for dinner tonight.

Posted by eatme_delicious | January 23, 2008, 7:52 pm
  6. I’ve actually had that recipe from Luisa printed out for the longest time, meaning to try the collard squares! They do look good here too, just what I thought when I saw them on Wednesday Chef.

Posted by Kalyn | January 23, 2008, 11:52 pm
  7. Cakespy – These were a great breakfast and would definitely make a good brunch idea!Caryn – Thanks so much – again, the compliments mean so much from you!Karen – I hope you try this one, it was delicious!Lydia – What a great idea! I used a square on toast as a sandwich the next morning.EatmeDelicious – Sorry, they are all gone!Kalyn – I do hope you try them, I am sure you could help with some low fat tips for them!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | January 24, 2008, 10:05 am
  8. These look fabulous and SO healthy for breakfast! I’ll have to give them a try!

Posted by Anna Haight | January 26, 2008, 2:46 pm
  9. Gretchen, these sound wonderful. I love swiss chard in just about anything (and am not big on collards, so your substitution seems just about right to me!). Your pictures of the breakfast squares are lovely.

Posted by Laurie Constantino | January 28, 2008, 3:51 am
  10. Anna – These were delicious and just the right balance with a peice of whole grain toast. You should try them!Laurie – Thanks! I hope you get a chance to try these, they were tasty!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | January 29, 2008, 12:17 am
  11. I’d love to try this one. Thanks for the idea.

Posted by A scientist in the kitchen | January 30, 2008, 6:30 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] came across a salad of just swiss chard. Swiss chard? I use that in a variety of other things like Breakfast Acelga Squares and poultry stuffing. But an entire salad of just swiss chard? I was game to try it but not to sure [...]

Swiss Chard Salad | Provecho Peru - September 14, 2012