Dessert

Beautified PBandJ

Peanut Butter and Jelly Mini TartsSo many kids pulled out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread for lunch. It was the infamous brown paper bag lunch. The PB&J, an apple, Capri Sun juice and a pre-packaged dessert.

I wasn’t fond of the PB&J. I mean, it was alright. I never hated it. Although I have never thought much of white bread. My lunch consisted of other sandwiches, not commonly favored by children, things like liverwurst and mustard; pastrami; or egg salad.

Now I live in a country where peanut butter is loathed or loved. These kids did not grow up on PB&Js nor do they even know what that means. Lunch here is rice and stew in a square plastic containers. Everyone has one. Workers take a break, usually between 2-4pm, and everyone pulls out their plastic container. There are even people who collect the containers in the morning, fill them and deliver them to workers who are too busy to have prepared something the night before.

I use peanut butter a lot now. It goes into cookies, stews, frostings and now, into miniature tarts. This is meant to celebrate the PB&J that you may have all loved as kids.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Mini Tarts

Yield: Makes 12

Source: Adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients

• 24 wonton wrappers
  • 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup of crunchy peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoons of butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup of chilled heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup of strawberry jam (9 1/2 oz)
  • 2 cups of fresh strawberries, quartered lengthwise

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Criss cross 2 wonton wrappers to form a star-like shape. Place each pair of wrappers gently but firmly into muffin tins. Bake at 325F until they lightly brown, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from muffin tins and cool on a wire rack. (Note: I would try a cookie or pastry crust next time, I did the graham one that epicurious suggested only to achieve burnt butter graham puffs, so the wontons were the quickest solution for me!)
  2. In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, peanut butter, and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add brown sugar and beat until incorporated.
  3. Beat cream with vanilla in another bowl until it holds soft peaks, then fold into peanut butter mixture gently but thoroughly. Fill pastry bag (or a plastic bag in my case!) and refrigerate if not using immediately.
  4. Distribute 1/3 cup of jam (about 1/2 tablespoon each) into bottoms of the wonton cups. Pipe peanut butter mixture on top of jam. Chill mini tarts, loosely covered with plastic wrap, until firm, at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir strawberries with remaining 1/2 cup of jam with a rubber spatula until coated. Spoon over mini tarts. Serve immediately.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Miniature Tarts are my submission for the Mini-Pie Revolution #2: Small Tarts Have Big Hearts! hosted by Ann and Karyn. Check out the Round-Up!!!

15 Responses to “Beautified PBandJ”

1. What a great idea for a tart. I would have never thought of wonton wrappers. Uh oh, I think I have some in my freezer. I may be making tartlets tonight!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | February 12, 2008, 7:05 pm
  2. That is inspired! I love traditional foods with a new twist. Looks great.

Posted by Karen | February 12, 2008, 7:26 pm
  3. This is such a beautiful and original recipe!! I’ll have to try it!! And, haha, I haven’t even thought of a Capri Sun in years!! :)

Posted by Robin | February 12, 2008, 7:40 pm
  4. Ooooh — I have to add this to my “101 Things to Do with a Wonton Skin” list!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | February 12, 2008, 8:12 pm
  5. Ooooh! I have wonton wrappers hanging out in my fridge waiting to find their purpose in life…Hmmm…. :)

Posted by culinography | February 12, 2008, 8:21 pm
  6. These look amazing!

Posted by Maryann | February 12, 2008, 8:31 pm
  7. I didn’t love PB&J as a kid, but oddly, I really like it now, usually in different forms, like these tarts!

Posted by Brilynn | February 12, 2008, 9:02 pm
  8. SGCC – The wonton wrappers are a bit thick, I may try rolling them out a bit before I do a next go around.Karen – Thanks!Robin – So glad I am not the only one who knows capri sun!Lydia – What else do you do with wonton skins??Michelle – Glad to give them a purpose! :)Maryann – Thanks!Brilynn – The flavors are wonderful together. The PB mousse is delicious!!!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 12, 2008, 10:37 pm
  9. That is some amazing PB&J

Posted by Nikki57 | February 12, 2008, 10:53 pm
  10. egg salad for lunch as a kid?! oh no! I think the one time my mom tried to sneak in an egg sandwich, I refused to eat it and went all day starved. I required a PB &J everyday, along with my cheese stick an apple and some oreos :) funny enough, that’s basically what I eat now too! these tarts look like they are right up my alley. mmm now i’m off for a midnight snack aka a pb and j

Posted by amanda | February 12, 2008, 11:32 pm
  11. These are too cute!! I’m a PB&J lover, so I’m sure these would be a hit!

Posted by Deborah | February 13, 2008, 11:17 am
  12. Awesome! Thanks so much for participating in The Revolution!

Posted by Ann | February 14, 2008, 8:10 am
  13. I love the wonton wrapper idea. Brilliant.

Posted by chou | February 14, 2008, 1:01 pm
  14. Nikki – The PB mousse part was my favorite!Amanda – The lunchtime memories we have are funny! Hope you enjoyed your PB&J!Deborah – Thanks!Ann – You are very welcome, it was a joy!Chou – I plan to play with the idea even more.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 17, 2008, 7:29 am
  15. what a great idea to use with my tart shaper!

Posted by Cara | February 20, 2008, 2:50 pm