Creating New Memories

1. Karen says:

Heart-wrenching post. A very honest and real glimpse into your life. I’m glad that scalloped potatoes don’t leave you with that lonely feeling…these look great! I’m going to check out more of Nigella’s recipes.

2. Cakelaw says:

Sorry to hear about your early loneliness. Hope things are much better now. Although you said your scalloped potatoes didn’t work that well, they look lovely.

3. Deborah says:

I am embarrassed because I almost made some of the boxed ones the other night. I was in a coupon clipping phase awhile back, and now I have a pantry full of items I don’t usually use, but were cheap!! I’m working on clearing them out, but now I want to make these instead of using up that box!!

4. ley says:

Brilliant! I’ve never made my own, either…I’ll definately have to give that recipe a try! (Well…maybe the second recipe, because I don’t want milk puddles, either.)

5. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I love the fact that you are changing your memories by cooking — that is a lovely thing. Keep trying until you find a recipe you love (Ina Garten has a potato-fennel gratin in one of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks that’s become one of my favorites). After all, you are living in Potato Heaven now!

6. Mansi Desai says:

The potato gratin still looks inviting girl!:) so don’t fret too much:)

7. Rebecca says:

Noelia-:)I’m una hija unica, too!! And taught myself to cook to avoid family crisis, too-but I still sometimes love Ramen(aka sodium bomb)So glad you have found solace in cooking. This recipe looks great-I can’t wait to try it. xo

8. Francesca says:

these potatos look delicious :-PFrancesca

9. Aran Goyoaga says:

No child should ever eat alone.. I’m sorry you had to go through that. I’m glad you found real food and cooking in your life. Such a gift!

10. Emiline says:

I’m sorry that many of your meals growing up, were alone. That just doesn’t seem fair. It makes me sad…but you got through it.This is how you learned to cook! The boxes and mixes were your training.Too bad about the recipe. Darn Nigella! Looks good though.

11. Bellini Valli says:

Potatoes are my favourite food group Gretchen. Through all of life’s struggles your love of food bloomed in a big way!! I have tagged your for a MEME. I realize there are a lot of these going around these days and you can participate only if you care to.Check out my answers when you have a moment :D

12. michelle @ Us vs. Food says:

i’m sorry you had to eat alone – that was a beautiful but sad post.i’m also sorry the gratin didn’t work out the way you’d hoped! one of my next kitchen purchases will be a mandoline, and that is specifically so i can learn to make a killer gratin or dauphinois.i love potatoes.

13. Toni says:

Scalloped potatoes are one of those dishes that just speaks to everyone’s childhood, somehow. And the fact that you took the recipe and tweaked it to make it work means you’re creating your own memories now.

14. Brilynn says:

Evil Nigella strikes again! She’s a two face I tell you! Sometimes her recipes are wonderful and other times they’re just off… it’s too bad these didn’t work out for you because homemade scalloped potatoes are wonderful. You’ve got me thinking I should make some now too!

15. Dana says:

I remember those boxed Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes too!! Sorry this recipe was such a pain :(.

16. Paz says:

Looks really good. Very memorable. Yum!Paz

17. Gabi says:

I have known what it’s like to be lonely and eat alone. Even though I had 2 sisters my childhood was very tumultuous and I learned to cook for myself too. I’m glad loneliness is more of a memory for you now. I hope new memories of better things outweigh the old sad ones. I think the scalloped potatoes are a good step in that direction. xoxo

Karen – Thanks…I didn’t mean for it to be! Cakelaw – Thanks. What’s passed is past.Deborah – Well, clear those out and then enjoy some that are homemade!Ley – Thanks! Yeah, check out Simply Recipes. Stay away from this recipe!Lydia – Thanks for the tip on Ina Garten. I will see if I can look that up!Mansi – Thanks!Rebe – Que bueno! Haha! Thanks!Francesca – Thanks!Aran – Thank you. All is well now. Living in a latin country means i don’t often eat alone now!Emiline – You are absolutely right! I did learn some things during that process.BV – Love them too! Thanks for the tag!Michelle – Thanks! I will try another one sometime. They are totoally worth trying again!Toni – Absolutely true!Brilynn – Not sure if and when I will try another nigella…hope to find another good potato recipe!Dana – Isn’t that funny! Yes, it was a pain…but I tried!Paz – Thanks!Gabi – Thanks so much. Sorry that you too experienced loneliness.

19. Jaime says:

mmmm, i love potatoes :) you should try the scalloped parmesan potatoes in my blog…they’re like the ones you made, but cheesier!

20. Sarah says:

I was just at the store & my bf commented how much he loves betty crocker scalloped potatoes, & at that moment I decided I’d have to make them myself sometime soon. I love that you turned your (maybe not so amazing) experiences with the boxed scalloped potatoes into something delicious (despite milk puddles) for all of us to share in!

Jaime – Thanks for the tip!Sarah – You shall have to make them sometime. I have a feeling they could be oh so much better than the box!

22. Sara says:

Great post. Thank you so much for taking part in WCC this month. I hope you’ll join us again!

Thanks, I plan to!