Tomato Lentil Soup

Tomato Lentil SoupLentils are a large part of the vegetarian diet due to their high protein content. So I hear. They are commonly combined with a grain such as rice to form a complete protein (a protein containing all essential amino acids). Apart from protein, lentils are beneficial due to their dietary fiber, vitamin B1 and minerals such as folate and magnesium. High soluble fiber serves as a blood sugar stabilizer.

Although lentils come in all colors: brown, black, red, green and white, their shape remains the same. Here in Peru, we have one color which comes in two sizes, Lentejon (large lentil) and Lentejita (tiny lentil). I used to go on long outrageous searches for the tiny sized lentils, claiming that they tasted oh-so-much-better. Now, they are sold packaged at the supermarket!

Intriguingly, lentils are named after the word lens, whose shape they also resemble.

Tomato Lentil Soup

• 2 bay leaves
  • 1 dried red chile pepper
  • 1 (8-ounce) can of tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add water, dried lentils, bay leaves, and chile. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
  2. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, salt, and black pepper; discard bay leaves and chile.

Tomato Lentil Soup is my submission for No Croutons Required – Simply Vegetarian Soups. NCR was inspired by Holler from Tinned Tomatoes and this month is hosted by Lisa’s Kitchen.

1. Karen says:

Great photos! You lentil soup looks so comforting and good.

2. ~Madeline~ says:

This soup looks fantastic! I plan on making it tomorrow. I just know it will be a huge hit at my house, thanks!

3. Cakelaw says:

Hi Gretchen, your soup looks hearty and delicious. Iy would be perfect for a chilly winter’s day with some crusty bread.

4. Susan from Food Blogga says:

I always used brown lentils, then I hooked on black lentils which retain their shape better when cooked. Now I can’t find them anymore. It would be better if I had only large or small to choose from! Your soup looks like it would warm the belly and the heart. Lentil soup is ultimate comfort food for me.

5. Deborah says:

I don’t use lentils nearly enough. This sounds so tasty!

6. rebecca says:

Yum! This looks great-I just made lentil soup last night, but can’t wait to try yours!

Karen – The soup was indeed comforting and tasty! Thanks!Madeline – Hope you enjoy it!Cakelaw – I was thinking that crusty bread would go fabulously with this!Susan – I too loved black lentils. But I cannot fill my suitcases with them! I love the baby sized ones they have here now. Deborah – I never used a lot of lentils before moving to Peru, now I really do enjoy them. A lot!Rebecca – Hope you enjoy this recipe as well!

8. Suzana says:

That sounds yummy – I love soup! And I have some lentils in my pantry.

9. Aran Goyoaga says:

Lentil soup is for sure my favorite soup of all and as a matter of fact my mom and I are making it tomorrow. We are using the small petit pois lentils (sp??) but everything else looks very similar to the ingredients you are using here. Delicious!

10. Sarah says:

Mmmmmm….looks so yummy! Too bad my boyfriend won’t touch anything resembling tomato soup…maybe I can trick him (green food dye?) into this delicious lentil soup.

11. Anonymous says:

Thank you for posting this recipe, it is very delicious, filling, and simple to make.I have made it twice now, and modified it. The second time I made it was the day my Grandpa died (some people grief clean, I cook). I took the pot over to my Grandma’s house and we (the whole family, about 10 people) had it for lunch the next day.My modifications are as follows; added 2 tbsp butter (adds to the flavor), used dried chili flakes instead of a whole pepper (makes it spicier), added a can of diced tomatoes, didn’t have sauce so I used tomato paste + 1 extra cup of water. Next pot I’ll be adding zucchini and red potatoes diced/chopped. Just 1 cup is very filling. The rest freezes well and is an easy grab from the freezer for lunches. It is also nice served over rice.Again thank you for posting this recipe, I am really enjoying it.Peace, M – from California