Dessert

Spicy Apple Raspberry Crisps

Spicy Apple Raspberry CrispsSome people love fruit, some love vegetables. I think I am more of a vegetable person. Don’t get me wrong, if there is a plate of washed and cut fruit laid before me, I will surely enjoy it. But it is really hard for me to take the time with fruit to wash, cut, peel, prepare, etc. But now with vegetables, it is just a different story.

So, sometimes I must trick myself into eating more fruit. I have eaten fruit in the form of morning shakes, occasionally I will add it to my salad or granola. But I have sound a way to convince myself that fruit is worth preparing and eating. I won’t call it dessert because too often I eat the leftovers for breakfast. Instead, it is fruit baked under a blanket of crunch and spice.

This recipe is very flexible. At times, I am in more of a ginger mood, so I use ground ginger in the topping. You could also use nutmeg. Really, it is whatever suits you. Remember, this is the way I convince myself to eat more fruit, so I have to enjoy it. You do too! If certain fruits are more to your liking, use those. A pear and blueberry combination. Maybe I will try this with quince also?

What fruit combinations are your favorite when they are “baked under a blanket of crunch and spice?”

Spicy Apple Raspberry Crisps

• 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, diced

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and cardamom in large bowl. Add apple slices and raspberries and toss to coat. Transfer apple and raspberry filling to 4 (1 cup capacity) ramekins.
  3. Mix remaining sugar, remaining cinnamon and remaining flour with oats, and salt in medium bowl. Add chilled butter, cutting it in the mixture with a pastry cutter or with two butter knives. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over apple mixture.
  4. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake crisps until apples are tender and oat topping is golden brown and firm, about 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes. Serve crisp warm or at room temperature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spicy Apple Raspberry Crisps are my submission for Master BakerCinnamon hosted by Nikki from Crazy Delicious, also the creator of Master Baker.

24 Responses to “Spicy Apple Raspberry Crisps”

1. I’m with you on the fruit. I do love it, but I just don’t take the time to cut it up and eat it much! I can just smell how cinnamony this little dessert is!

Posted by RecipeGirl | February 27, 2008, 8:58 am
  2. Lovely bake…I do love my fruit though…never lazy to cut ‘em up :-D

Posted by sunita | February 27, 2008, 9:21 am
  3. This post made me wish for fall and we haven’t even had spring and summer yet! I love blackberries, peaches, and blueberries mixed in my crumbles!

Posted by breadchick | February 27, 2008, 9:52 am
  4. Ooooo, I love recipes from Epicurious! I would have never chosen a crisp with raspberries and apples, but this looks great! Love that second photo.

Posted by Karen | February 27, 2008, 10:59 am
  5. Ooh… that looks so good! Roll on summer raspberries!

Posted by Ann | February 27, 2008, 12:02 pm
  6. ooohhh yummy pictures! Looks like I got some stiff MB competition! Great job! ;)-Clara

Posted by CB | February 27, 2008, 12:51 pm
  7. I have really been craving a crisp lately, but with just apples. The raspberries would add so much, though!

Posted by Deborah | February 27, 2008, 2:04 pm
  8. Great pictures! I absolutely love cinnamon.

Posted by Jessy and her dog Winnie | February 27, 2008, 3:41 pm
  9. apple and cinnamon or pear and ginger are my favorites. not exciting and new, i know, but damn tasty.

Posted by michelle @ Us vs. Food | February 27, 2008, 4:02 pm
  10. These look sooooo good. Gotta try it. Love the pictures too!I did my meme for you, thanks bunches for tagging me darling! :)

Posted by Nemmie | February 27, 2008, 8:02 pm
  11. Mmmm… I love crisps (and crumbles… and cobblers)! These look wonderful!

Posted by culinography | February 27, 2008, 8:51 pm
  12. Those look so delicious! What a great way to sneak more fruit into your day. :) My favorite is just good old classic apple crisp, but second to that is fresh peach and raspberry. Yum!

Posted by Amy | February 27, 2008, 9:40 pm
  13. My favorite combination is apple and nectarine — but almost anything baked under a cinnamon crust appeals to me. If I had to choose between eating only fruit, or only vegetables, I’d definitely choose fruit!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | February 27, 2008, 11:22 pm
  14. Looks fantastic! I will go right along with you and not call it a dessert. Brown sugar and lots of butter sound like breakfast to me too :PThanks for the entry.

Posted by Nikki57 | February 28, 2008, 12:18 am
  15. I love crisps and cobblers of any kind and I especially love apples and cinnamon. Who wouldn’t eat fruit this way right? Great job!

Posted by Aran Goyoaga | February 28, 2008, 5:46 am
  16. Hi Gretchen, I am the opposite – I love my fruit, but it takes a bit more persuasion for me to cook up veges. (I have a nasty habit of nuking frozen veges for 3 minutes just so that I can say I have had my veges for the day.) These crisps look delicious, and raspberries are a favourite of mine.

Posted by Cakelaw | February 28, 2008, 6:28 am
  17. This is my first time to your blog and I must say – I am a vegetable person, too. But this fruit recipe is my kind of dessert. Right up my alley. Can’t wait to try it!

Posted by Michelle | February 28, 2008, 7:03 am
  18. RG – Amen! I know it is good for me, but it is too much work in my mind!Sunita – Good for you!Mary – Aaahhh, and I am sure fall in your area is beautiful!! We are just heading into it now!Karen – This was a delicious combo as the apples were well baked and it turned out delicious!Ann – Yeah! Thanks!Clara – Thanks!! Hehe!Deborah – Apple crisps are standard but I enjoy the extras at times!Jessy – Thanks! I love cinnamon as well!Michelle – Sometimes those standards are best!Nemmie – Thanks! Thanks!Michelle – I love all of those as well. They are just delicious!Amy – Thanks! Yes, sometimes it is my only solution for myself!Lydia – Apple and nectarine?!? I *love* nectarines but they only come from Chile so we don’t have them often. I will have to try that if I see them!Nikki – Thanks! Definitely breakfast food!Aran – Exactly! Thanks!Cakelaw – Oh so sad! I love veggies! How funny that we all have our preferences!Michelle – Fruit for dessert is an excellent way to fulfill the food group!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 28, 2008, 7:59 am
  19. how lovely! I also eat the leftovers for breakfast! *rhubarb and strawberry or apple and blackberry or peach and raspberry. they are my fave flavours!

Posted by bbaking | February 28, 2008, 10:01 am
  20. anyone see a parrot? ;)

Posted by bbaking | February 28, 2008, 10:03 am
  21. Hi Gretchen! Your crisp looks absolutely delicious! I can taste it with vanilla ice-cream…oh yummy!

Posted by Priscilla | February 28, 2008, 3:31 pm
  22. funny how we both posted our MB Challenge at around the same time! :)i am JUST like you…. put a fruit plate in front of me and i will eat it all up…but i rarely have the motivation to prepare my own fruits. still, i consider myself a fruit lover more than a veggie lover :)i love fruit crisps and this looks fabulous!

Posted by Jaime | February 28, 2008, 11:01 pm
  23. Bev – I am glad I am not the only one eating sweet treats for breakfast! Your flavor combinations sounds delicious!Priscilla – Thanks! Oooh, I bet it would be good with ice cream. Jamie – Thanks so much!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 28, 2008, 11:14 pm
  24. I made a cinnamon gelato as part of my cinnamon master baker dish. I dare say that my gelato and your cinnamon crisp would look mighty fine together.

Posted by Kirstin | March 9, 2008, 12:20 pm