Biscuits & Scones

Pecan Yogurt Biscuits [TWD]

Pecan Yogurt BiscuitsIt is funny how our tastes change over time. I remember years when my roommate and I stocked our refrigerator for everything Mexican. Not a day went by when you could not find salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese. Guacamole was common, but it never lasted long.

After years living outside of the US, there are some things which before I considered impossible to live without. Now, I cannot remember why I liked them! Sour cream is one of those things. I used to use it on tacos, baked potatoes and in dips of every kind. Sure, the first year or two I searched the grocery store for that familiar white cream. After years of looking and finally realizing I no longer miss it, I do think at times you may find a container of imported sour cream on the shelves.

But, now…I don’t miss it, don’t long for it and really, don’t need it! I have learned other means of baking. Here we have drinkable yogurt. The creamy, stick you spoon in, kind of yogurt has not taken Peru by storm. I always have a bottle of plain pourable yogurt (or three) in my fridge.

Here is my Peruvian adaption of Dorie Greenspan’s lovely biscuits, flecked with toasted pecans. I found them to be delicious and made two half batches this week because I enjoyed them so! I hope you enjoy them as well!

Pecan Yogurt Biscuits

Yield: Makes 12

Source: Adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours

Ingredients

• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/4 cup of panela or light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup of finely chopped toasted pecans
  • 5 tablespoons of cold butter, cut into 10 pieces
  • 3/4 cup of natural drinkable yogurt

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar and pecans; whisking together to combine. Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until it reaches pea size pieces.
  3. Pour the yogurt over the dry ingredients, gently stirring together with a fork until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 12 equal squares then transfer them to a baking sheet. Bake for about 14 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer them to a serving basket.

Notes

Dorie note: The biscuits can be frozen on the baking sheet before baking, then wrapped airtight and kept for up to 2 months. Bake without defrosting - just add a couple more minutes to the oven time.

Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits was chosen by Ashley at Eat Me, Delicious. Enjoy more Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesday’s With Dorie website.

20 Responses to “Pecan Yogurt Biscuits [TWD]”

1. They look perfect. So glad you liked them! I, too, loved them so. I will def be making them again.

Posted by slush | February 26, 2008, 9:05 am
  2. Your biscuits are beautiful! Great job!

Posted by chelley325 | February 26, 2008, 9:08 am
  3. Love the last picture. A pile of biscuits… so cute! -Clara

Posted by CB | February 26, 2008, 12:48 pm
  4. They look so good! Great adaptation of the recipe given what was available. I missed creme fraiche so bad from home that I now make my own…the things we do for food!!

Posted by Tartelette | February 26, 2008, 1:16 pm
  5. These would be lovely with afternoon tea!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | February 26, 2008, 3:54 pm
  6. more lovely food! mmmps I awarded you back, you’ll see what I mean…

Posted by bbaking | February 26, 2008, 4:16 pm
  7. You’re so right… tastes change all the time. Now I can’t take things that before I thought I coudn’t live without and love the things I used to hate! Your biscuits are adorable.

Posted by Isa | February 26, 2008, 5:24 pm
  8. These look really light and tasty! I am enjoying reading the TWD entries.

Posted by nicisme | February 26, 2008, 5:25 pm
  9. Great looking biscuits! I saw someone else’s today too and it made me want to try them. Yours look perfect!

Posted by Aran Goyoaga | February 26, 2008, 7:39 pm
  10. I’m so impressed at your adaptation! It looks like your biscuits turned out really well. Lovely pictures!

Posted by theflouredapron | February 26, 2008, 9:04 pm
  11. great job! i love your little biscuit squares :)

Posted by Jaime | February 26, 2008, 11:34 pm
  12. they look awesome! I think I’m gonna try these soon:)

Posted by Mansi Desai | February 27, 2008, 12:04 am
  13. Well done! Found this on Tastespotting, nice work!

Posted by Karen | February 27, 2008, 1:36 am
  14. Gorgeous! I’ll join you in a Peruvian Dorie-biscuit *any* time.

Posted by Dolores | February 27, 2008, 1:46 am
  15. urie – Thanks and yes they were delicious!Chelley – Thanks!Clara – Thanks, I enjoyed photographing them…and eating them!Tartelette – Thanks! It is a wonder what we miss and make in its place! How do you make creme fraiche?Lydia – Oh, yes they would!!Bev – Thanks! You are too cute!Isa – Glad you can relate. And thank you!Nicisme – Thanks! They were delicious!Aran – You should make them, they were delicious!!!Floured Apron – Thanks! I really enjoyed them!Jaime – Thanks!Mansi – You really should try them, they are delicious!Karen – Thanks for letting me know! You saw these there and not in your reader??Dolores – Thanks! You are welcome to them!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 27, 2008, 8:41 am
  16. Beautiful biscuits!

Posted by eatme_delicious | February 27, 2008, 9:00 am
  17. What a great sub! I love the idea. Make me think it might not be a bad sub for cupcakes too. Thanks for the thinking cap!

Posted by Tempered Woman | February 27, 2008, 10:32 am
  18. Gretchen, these look great. The yoghurt is an excellent substitution.

Posted by Cakelaw | February 28, 2008, 6:29 am
  19. Thanks Ashley!TW – Yogurt is my go to ingredient for tons of things!Cakelaw – Thanks!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 28, 2008, 7:48 am
  20. They look just tall and fluffy and everything that biscuits should be. But I think I would soundly die in Peru… no sour cream?! Wow… I may never gripe about PR again. I can get sour cream by the gallons, I love the stuff. Of course, in light of being without, one must adapt. And of course, our tastes evolve. It truly is interesting to notice.

Posted by leafy bombshell | March 1, 2008, 1:44 am