WHB – Baby Brussels Sprouts with Pecans

Baby Brussels Sprouts with PecansThe market was bustling when I arrived this morning. Each of the stands is full to almost overflowing with delicious produce, grains and other healthy items. One of the first stand had a large basket of baby Brussels sprouts. I wanted to buy them all! I restrained myself, wanting to take it all in before making purchase decisions. By the time I made it back to that first stand, the Brussels were scarce, but there was still enough for me!

As a child, I remember the plastic bags of frozen vegetables and Brussels sprouts were tucked inside one of those bags. I was never very impressed with them. They had such a strong smell and taste. In my home, they were (over)boiled and served. How revolting!

Eating healthier has encouraged me to look to some of those vegetables of my past. I absolutely love cabbage. I buy lettuce for salads and I never seem to eat it all before it starts to go bad. But, I have learned that cabbage is just durable. It waits for me and doesn’t force me to pay attention to it right away. Brussels sprouts are a miniature form of cabbage but as all things miniature, they cry out for attention a bit sooner.

Their origins are unknown but are thought to originate in Belgium, from a region near Brussels for which they are named. I am proud to say that in the US, almost all Brussels Sprouts are grown in California. Brussels sprouts can be found on the list of World’s Healthiest Foods! They truly are miniature cabbages, both belonging to the brassica family and they grow in bunches of 20-40 on the stem of a plant that grows 2-3 feet high.

If you are lucky enough to find them this weekend at your market, you can keep them unwashed and untrimmed in the vegetable drawer of the fridge, inside of a plastic bag for 10 days. If you can wait that long…

Baby Brussels Sprouts with Pecans

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Source: Adapted from Gourmet

• 1 pound of baby Brussels sprouts, trimmed
  • 1 tablespoons of butter
  • splash of olive oil
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt, divided
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of toasted, chopped pecans

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, add Brussels sprouts and boil for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
  2. In a skillet, heat butter with the olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook until until slightly browned. Next add lime juice, pepper pecans and remaining salt. Serve.

Baby Brussels Sprouts with Pecans are being served up for Weekend Herb Blogging. WHB was created by Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen and this week hosted by Lia of Swirling Notions. Check out the round-up soon at Swirling Notions!!

1. Aran Goyoaga says:

I love brussel sprouts with almonds so I’m sure I will love this recipe with pecans!

2. Karen says:

Yum! Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies! I usually roast mine, but your recipe sounds great! I’m going to try this one for sure!

3. Amy says:

These look delicious — I love sauteed brussel sprouts; I’m going to try throwing in some pecans next time. Yum!

4. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I’m trying to learn to love Brussels sprouts. Thus far, roasting them seems to work best for me. I like to cook them until they caramelize, and toss them in some grated parmesan cheese.

5. Cakelaw says:

Hi Gretchen, You have managed to make the much maligned brussel sprout look delicious.

6. SteamyKitchen says:

I loooove brussels sprouts, but I’m the only one in my family who does. I was thinking about growing them in the garden, but since I’d be the sole consumer, I’m afraid I’d get sick of eating them all the time.

7. gal writer says:

beautiful brussels sprouts! i never had to eat them as a child and i love them now. i mean LOVE!i’m going to make these and then when my husband and i have our once a month bacon indulgence, i’ll steam them and cook some delicious uncured stuff then saute all together with the nuts. but they’ll be just as good without.

Aran – I think almonds sound great for this too! The pecans were delicious though!Karen – This was delicious!Amy – Do try it, it was tasty!Lydia – Caramelized and with parmesan…that sounds yummy!Cakelaw – So glad I could help!Jaden – You either love them or hate them! Glad to know you are a fan!Gal – I am certain a bit of bacon with these would be scrumptious!

9. Julie says:

I am already a huge fan of brussel sprouts so I will be adding this to my list of ways to prepare them.

10. Deborah says:

I never grew up with Brussels sprouts, and only had them for the first time when my husband introduced them to me a few years ago. Now we have them all of the time! This recipe sounds delicious!

11. swirlingnotions says:

Aren’t Brussels sprouts the best? I love their diminutive look.

12. Kalyn says:

Sounds wonderful. I’m intrigued by the idea of pecans, and lime juice.

Julie – I think you will really enjoy them like this!Deborah – This was delicious, I hope you try them this way!Lia – Love them!Kalyn – I do hope you try them, it was scrumptious!!

14. Leng says:

Two of my fave ingredients–pecans AND brussels sprouts! I think I’ll have this tonight. Thanks for the recipe. 🙂

15. Leng says:

This was delicious! Thanks again.