Cake

Going Bananas?

Banana Cake with Spiced Rum Glazed PlantainsSomehow I always seem to have bananas and plantains here. After almost every visit to the jungle, I return with a bunch or with 100 pounds of them (LITERALLY!!!). Sometimes I wonder if this blog should instead be called “Going Bananas!”

Whenever I see a banana recipe that looks tasty, I cut it out or bookmark it. Not long ago, I had a few recipes piled up and at the same time, some plantains were at the point of needing to be cooked or thrown away. I spent one Saturday morning making recipe after recipe with plantains, often substituting bananas for boiled and mashed plantains.

It hadn’t crossed my mind to put these two recipes together, but once they were made, they seems like they were made for each other! I couldn’t resist topping the moist banana cake with the sweet, spicy & syrupy sauce over the cake to enjoy.

Spiced Rum Glazed Plantains

• 1/2 teaspoon of grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons of chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Peel plantains; diagonally cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange plantain slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
  3. Combine orange juice, brown sugar, rum, lime juice, ginger, and nutmeg in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour juice mixture over plantains. Dot with butter, and sprinkle with salt.
  4. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Gently turn plantains over using tongs; bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Banana Cake

Yield: Makes 2 8” cakes or 1 large cake

Source: Adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups of cake flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup of mashed very ripe bananas (or boiled, mashed ripe plantains)
  • 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon of dark rum
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed bananas, sour cream, rum, and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients in 2 additions just until combined. Spoon batter into pan.
  3. Bake cake at 350F until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pan.

Banana Cake & Spiced Rum Glazed Plantains are being served up for the St. Paddy’s Day Pub Crawl hosted by Emiline at Sugar Plum.

37 Responses to “Going Bananas?”

1. I love bananas! This looks incredible, Gretchen!

Posted by culinography | March 16, 2008, 7:26 pm
  2. Goodness- you continue to amaze me. This sounds fabulous. I haven’t yet cooked with plantains but it’s definitely on my to do list. I’m going to recommend your blog to my Peruvian friend who lives here in San Diego near me. I think she might enjoy…

Posted by RecipeGirl | March 16, 2008, 7:33 pm
  3. Wow, I love anything banana, and this sounds doubly delicious with the plantain topping! The only way I’ve ever had plantains is fried…I would love to try these. Thanks for the recipe!

Posted by Amy | March 16, 2008, 8:28 pm
  4. Banana Cake! Yum, one of my favorites!

Posted by Karen | March 16, 2008, 8:36 pm
  5. That looks so tasty! I’ve never had plantains before, but that looks like it would be a lovely introduction. One of the grocery stores I shop at stocks them pretty frequently, I’ll have to pick some up and try them out.

Posted by Karina | March 16, 2008, 9:39 pm
  6. This looks so delicious! I love anything with bananas!

Posted by Erin | March 16, 2008, 9:42 pm
  7. So interesting! I love it! Did you know bananas are my favorite fruit? I also like plantains. I’ve been experimenting with plantains lately.This is a great entry, and you did a wonderful job.

Posted by Emiline | March 16, 2008, 11:05 pm
  8. Gretchen- This looks so delicious! Bananas and plantains are two of my favorite foods. It’s a perfect combination!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | March 17, 2008, 12:35 am
  9. Yum yum yum yum!! We once had a banana shortage in Australia a few years ago and they were so expensive and scarce. They were around $18 Australian a kilo!This looks superb. Delicioso!

Posted by Linda | March 17, 2008, 12:40 am
  10. That cake looks gorgeous! A great way of preparing plantains!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 17, 2008, 4:28 am
  11. That cake looks gorgeous! A great way of preparing plantains!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 17, 2008, 4:28 am
  12. That cake looks gorgeous! A great way of preparing plantains!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 17, 2008, 4:28 am
  13. That cake looks gorgeous! A great way of preparing plantains!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 17, 2008, 4:28 am
  14. Gretchen, I am a great fan of both bananas and plantains…lovely recipe…loved your tropical dessert too :-)

Posted by sunita | March 17, 2008, 6:29 am
  15. that looks so moist and gooeyv with the sugary glaze… beautiful!

Posted by Aran | March 17, 2008, 6:45 am
  16. Ooh…! That looks fabulous!

Posted by Ann | March 17, 2008, 11:51 am
  17. this looks delicious, i love plantains!

Posted by Cara | March 17, 2008, 12:04 pm
  18. I am going to go on a hunt for plantains here, because your recipe looks amazing.

Posted by nicisme | March 17, 2008, 12:38 pm
  19. Can I come over for a slice? Looks soooo good! And only 3 steps to making it, I love it.

Posted by Rebecca | March 17, 2008, 1:13 pm
  20. What a great sounding recipe for the pub crawl…yum!

Posted by Mrs. L | March 17, 2008, 1:45 pm
  21. Thanx for the recipe. I made banana nut bread over Christmas that was awesome! http://dangerouslydeliciousrecipes.com/blog/?p=144By the way I tagged ya!

Posted by Jasmine31 | March 17, 2008, 2:46 pm
  22. Looks great! I love banana desserts!

Posted by Jessy and her dog Winnie | March 17, 2008, 3:13 pm
  23. I haven’t had plantains a lot, but there is a market here that sells them. I really need to try them out more often, and your blog is the place to find recipes!!

Posted by Deborah | March 17, 2008, 3:53 pm
  24. I’ve been amassing banana recipes lately too! I just can’t stop baking with them.

Posted by Brilynn | March 17, 2008, 4:27 pm
  25. Oh, my gawd! I lurve me my plantains. This is some recipe!Paz

Posted by Paz | March 17, 2008, 6:20 pm
  26. I’m crazy over plaintains, and with a rum glaze? Yowza! My problem is I can never find them ripe enough at the market, and they take sooo long to ripen. Yours must be fabulous!

Posted by Susan from Food Blogga | March 17, 2008, 7:19 pm
  27. Banana bread is one of my favorites. Now I can’t wait to try banana cake.

Posted by Kevin | March 17, 2008, 7:29 pm
  28. mmmm, i love bananas..and i love plantains even more! i would love to have a slice of that! :)

Posted by Jaime | March 17, 2008, 8:19 pm
  29. ay que rico!! yum yum!plantains are my fave; i just wish they weren’t so high in cals… but who cares! nice post and recipe.

Posted by Flanboyant Eats | March 17, 2008, 10:37 pm
  30. Sounds wonderful! I’m crazy for bananas. This cake with this topping looks amazing! Any chance I get a slice of it? ;)Thanks for the “No Croutons Required” hint. :)

Posted by Suzana | March 18, 2008, 4:55 am
  31. I love bananas and banana bread/cake (and also rum!)! This looks fantastic! :)

Posted by ChichaJo | March 18, 2008, 10:26 am
  32. Michelle – Thanks!Recipe Girl – Thanks, what a compliment! I would love to hear what your Peruvian friend thinks!Amy – There is so much more than frying that you can do with plantains. I hope you look through some of the recipes on here.Karen – It was delicious. Still talked about by the gal I gave one to!Karina – Please pick some up, if you need ideas let me know. One of my favorite things to do was baked them in a sweet lime sauce.Erin – It was tasty! Emiline – I did not know bananas were your favorite fruit. If I did know, and i made this for your event, that would be a bit like sucking up. And I wouldn’t do that! :)SGCC – Thanks! Glad you like it!Linda – A banana shortage?? Our prices have risen over the past year unfortunately.Rosa – Thanks! Sunita – Glad to hear you liked them both!Aran – Thanks, it was delicious!Ann – Thanks!Cara – Thanks! Me too!Nicisme – Please, hunt down some plantains, I have a bunch of recipes!Rebecca – It was all given away. Sorry. I have plenty of other treats here though! Come on by!Mrs. L – Thanks!Jasmine – Always love finding more banana recipes! Thanks for the tag!Jessy – Thanks!Deborah – I hope you pick some up! I have plenty of ideas for you!Paz – Thanks!Susan – I never seem to have the “take so long to ripen” problem. My problem is that i wish they stayed green longer!!! i have several recipes with green plantains too!Kevin – Thanks!Jaime – Love that you love plantains!Flanboyant Eat – Gracias, gracias! Yes, I hate that I like plantains, but that I shouldn’t eat them.Suzanna – Sorry, it is all gone! ChichaJo = Thanks! It was rather tasty all around!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 18, 2008, 10:46 pm
  33. Those look amazing!

Posted by Anne | March 19, 2008, 12:19 am
  34. Oooh, rum and bananas – a dangerous combination ;) We don’t have plaintains here – or at least, I have never noticed them.

Posted by Cakelaw | March 19, 2008, 8:28 am
  35. Ooo wow those spiced rum glazed plantains look and sound amazing!! I’ve only had plantains once but really want to try cooking with them.

Posted by eatme_delicious | March 23, 2008, 6:34 pm
  36. Mmmmmm…I heart bananas…and plantains! I ate so many plantains when I was in Brasil, but haven’t had them at all since then! How sad.

Posted by Sarah | March 24, 2008, 8:27 pm
  37. Anne – Thanks!Cakelaw – This was tasty! I wonder if there are plantains somewhere there?Ashley – I use an abnormal amount of plantains here. :)Sarah – Brazil? What in the world were you doing there? You should get some plantains to cook with!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 8:16 am