Celebrate delicious hot cocoa with an adorable idea of Hot Cocoa Cupcakes! These may not warm you up inside, but they sure will make you smile!
2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of shortening
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 1/3 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening on high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beating until well combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add water and flour mixture to the shortening mixture, stirring after each addition. Pour batter into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Frost with Marshmallow Chocolate Frosting. Add miniature marshmallows and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
Yield: Makes 24
Source: Adapted from Kraft
Marshmallow Chocolate Frosting
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1 small can of evaporated milk
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 cup of small marshmallows
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk and cocoa powder. Cook to 230F on a candy thermometer, or until soft ball stage.
- Remove from heat and add small marshmallows, stirring until melted. Cool slightly and frost cupcakes.
Source: Adapted from Cooks.com.