Main Dish

Not Just For Winter Anymore

Crockpots make you think of winter, don’t they? A wonderful stew, delicious soup or hearty chili is delightful to come home to after a long day. I feel like it is my duty to make plea on behalf of Crockpots everywhere…don’t hide them away just because the sun is coming out. You could make delicious tacos this spring with this tasty, delectable dish!

spicy pulled pork

• 1 teaspoon ground oregano
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
  • 2 1/2 pound pork shoulder, trimmed
  • 1/2 cup of water

Preparation

1. In a large bowl, combine onion, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Add pork, turning to coat completely with sauce. Transfer pork and additional sauce to a 5-quart slow cooker. Add water to thin sauce, if needed.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. Transfer meat to a large bowl and shred with two forks, discarding any gristle. Return meat to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.
  3. Serve with black beans, tortillas and guacamole for some delicious springtime tacos!

Now, go get that crockpot out…

18 Responses to “Not Just For Winter Anymore”

1. Oh, MMM, I am definitely making this!! I love pulled pork tacos; making it in the crock pot is a great idea. Our last place had no central air, and it was brutal in the summertime with the oven on…a crock pot is a good solution. :)

Posted by Amy | March 26, 2008, 9:27 pm
  2. Oh what wonderful tacos you can make with that. You are so right with the crock pot: it’s good in winter and summer!

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | March 27, 2008, 3:22 am
  3. Spicy pulled por in a crock pot! You just described meaty heaven for me!

Posted by Aran | March 27, 2008, 6:01 am
  4. Oh yum!! We love pulled pork, Gretchen! This is a fantastic recipe – and a fantastic way to make it in the crockpot!Thank you so much for participating, sweetie. :)xoxo

Posted by Lis | March 27, 2008, 6:29 am
  5. This looks wonderful! I will definitely have to try this because I really love pulled pork! I use my crockpot any time of the year too!

Posted by Erin | March 27, 2008, 7:40 am
  6. Amy – I hope you try this, it was really delicious!!!Tanna – Yes, they were delicious! Aran – Ha! Glad you like!Lis – It was a great and easy recipe!Erin – It was tasty and good anytime of the year!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 8:06 am
  7. i really like pulled pork. why haven’t i ever thought of spicing it up with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and eating it taco-style with black beans and guacamole? i’d like to thank you for pointing out what should’ve been an obvious combination!

Posted by A. Grace | March 27, 2008, 9:32 am
  8. I love you! I love pulled pork!! This is a great recipe! I’ll have to try it in a Dutch oven since I don’t have a crockpot (no room left).

Posted by Tartelette | March 27, 2008, 12:10 pm
  9. Looks great, but I haven’t heard of adobo sauce before. You’ve just made me visit wikipedia :))

Posted by Lore | March 27, 2008, 2:37 pm
  10. I love using my crockpot year round for that very reason!! This pork recipe sounds delicious!

Posted by Deborah | March 27, 2008, 3:43 pm
  11. I tend to forget about my crockpot because it lives in the back of a closet under the stairs. This looks so delicious that it’s worth excavating my pot to try it.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | March 27, 2008, 3:44 pm
  12. Oh how I love pulled pork. I tried making Mexican carnitas recently and was shocked by the amount of lard needed. This looks like a more sensible though no less tasty option.

Posted by Annemarie | March 27, 2008, 4:15 pm
  13. You know what… heck yeah! You’re right! Crockpots are not just for winter. We make pulled pork (bbq) on the grill every summer but this is a great way to cook it if you don’t have a grill (esp. for us in NYC).Great blog. I’ll be back!amy @http://www.weareneverfull.com

Posted by We Are Never Full | March 27, 2008, 7:20 pm
  14. There’s a burrito shop in town that makes the most amazing pulled pork burritos! Perhaps I’ll try making my own burritos at home. I don’t have a crock pot, but I’m sure I could find a way to adapt your recipe to stove top use. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Karina | March 27, 2008, 7:38 pm
  15. A Grace – You are welcome! It was delicious!Tartelette – I am sure it will be great in a Dutch oven. You are very welcome!Lore – Glad I could help!Deborah – Yeah! A year round crockpot user! This was delicious, I hope you try it!Lynn – Oh, I hope you do. It was delicious!Annemarie – No lard! This had enough with the meat itself. It was perfect!We Are Never Full – Glad I could persuade you! This was a simple, delicious meal. So glad you dropped by and i do hope you come back for a visit!Karina – You could certainly make this even without a crockpot. It could go into your oven, covered, for a long cook.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 9:48 pm
  16. I make carnitas in my crockpot with pork roasts too and love it! This recipe looks really delicious too!I just wanted to mention for the marshmallow creme recipe that I just used some on a banana split last night and it was great. It does tend to get foamy again after it has been sitting in the fridge for a while, just give it a quick little heat and a good stir and you are good to go. It kills the volume, but it makes it more like creme instead of meringue.: )

Posted by PheMom | March 28, 2008, 10:07 am
  17. i can’t wait to try this recipe w/the spicy black beans!

Posted by Jaime | April 14, 2008, 2:45 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] is true, the spicy pulled pork from yesterday was amazing. I have made a variety of pulled pork recipes and this one by far was [...]