Christmas Cookies

Bolas de Manjar y Mani // Peanut Caramel Bites

Bolas de Manjar y Mani // Peanut Caramel Bites

Visiting others in their homes is an important part of friendship and relationship here in Peru, and maybe much of Latin America. It is not uncommon to have people drop by for a few minutes or a few hours. Typically I have something freshly baked to offer and occasionally I have to run down to the tienda, the corner store, to buy some coke and cookies.

When I lived in the United States, I thought of myself as hospitable. I enjoyed inviting people over and even hosted Secret Wednesday Night Dinners for the few and the chosen. (That’s for another day and another time though.) Dinner parties at my apartment were both formal and informal, but always fun.

Since moving to Peru, I have learned that hospitality is not always on my terms. In fact being truly hospitable often means attending to guests when I have several things to do and I am somewhat forced to stop and sit with them. Here, it is not uncommon for your guest to arrive bearing some sort of gift. I have gotten bread, trinkets and ice cream from visitors.

Recently, I had the opportunity to meet the new wife of a pastor that we have worked with for awhile. She is Colombian and has been here in Peru for only three months. We were invited to their home for lunch and I was happy to have an opportunity to make and take something to share. As a guest, I did not want to arrive with empty arms.

Since this was my first time meeting her and her Colombian friend, I wanted to be sure what I made was not too complicated. I hate to arrive at a home and ask for a lot, “Can you put this in the fridge?” “Do you have plates to serve this on?” “Can you lend me a knife?” and on and on. Especially when going to a house for the first time, I like to share something that comes in individual servings – cupcakes, cookies. In this case, I chose to combine a sweet treat, manjar blanco, with salty peanuts.

Bolas de Manjar y Mani // Peanut Caramel Bites

Yield: 36 bites

Source: Adapted from Nestle

Ingredients

• 400 grams of manjar blanco
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of Nesquik
  • 1 cup of chopped peanuts

Preparation

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the manjar blanco, butter and Nesquik. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture you begin to see the bottom of the pan while stirring, about 20 minutes.
  2. Pour the mixture into a square baking dish, coated with cooking spray to cool until pliable, about 20 minutes.
  3. Form small balls with wet hands and roll in chopped peanuts.

Peanut Manjar Balls are being served up for Sugar High Friday – Sweet Gifts, this month hosted by Habeas Brulee.

13 Responses to “Bolas de Manjar y Mani // Peanut Caramel Bites”

1. Thanks for stopping by my site. I am glad your comment led me here, to this wonderful site on Peruvian food. I only tried it once in a restaurant in the US, and I loved it. I am sure eating authentic Peruvian back makes difference. These peanut manjar balls look delicoius! I think I am going to try to make it for my daugther:) Hasta luego!

Posted by Farida | March 24, 2008, 12:50 pm
  2. These look like the perfect combination of sweet and salty, all wrapped up in a cute little ball.

Posted by Karen | March 24, 2008, 3:27 pm
  3. YUM! I would like to sneak a bag of these into the movie theater with me. I enjoyed reading about Peru’s hospitality differences-hosting Argentinian friends was a lesson for me (they stay for hours!)

Posted by Rebecca | March 24, 2008, 6:16 pm
  4. These look like dulce de leche truffles! What a great idea.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | March 24, 2008, 7:59 pm
  5. You’ve made so many yummy things since the last time I’ve looked at your blog! These look especially good. :)

Posted by Sarah | March 24, 2008, 8:22 pm
  6. These are beautiful – the perfect thing to bring!

Posted by Deborah | March 25, 2008, 10:15 am
  7. Farida – Glad we are now in contact!Karen – They were a great combo!Rebecca – These were good. Oh yes, there are certainly differences. I have learned a lot!Lydia – Yes, they are like DDL truffles!Sarah – Hehe! Thanks!Deborah – Thanks!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 25, 2008, 10:21 am
  8. Holy Moly: sounds fairly simple to make and gorgeous to eat, easy on the eyes too! Excellent.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | March 25, 2008, 3:15 pm
  9. ñum ñum! Suena riquisima la combinación de sal y manjar…me imagino que se usar dulce de leche argentino (tipo caluga, Sarcor, que me encanta) en vez de manjar blanco, funcionará?saludos desde el vecino Chile! Muy bueno tu blog ;)

Posted by Anodien | March 25, 2008, 9:52 pm
  10. Tanna – They were easy to make, simple to roll and ridiculously delicious to consume!Anodien – Muchisimas gracias por la visita! Use manjar de nestle pero se puede usar otros tipos de DDL…es una question de textura para calcualar el tiempo necesario para cocinarlo. Puede ser que otro DDL necesita mas o menos tiempo. saludos a chile! :)

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 8:12 am
  11. they looks so delightful and tasty. a perfect gift recipe.

Posted by bee | March 27, 2008, 4:15 pm
  12. You are a woman after my own heart! Peanut butter is one of my all time favorite foods! I may have to go get the ingredients to cook this up this weekend! Stop by for a visit. I’ll even save a piece for you! :DConfessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

Posted by The Apron Queen | March 28, 2008, 3:43 pm
  13. A little bite of heaven and looks easy too. I hope looks aren’t deceiving. I’m going to make this. I can’t wait. Other nuts would be great too.

Posted by Joy @ Joy Of Desserts | March 28, 2008, 11:31 pm