Dessert

Creamy Coconut Quinoa Pudding

Here is a tropical adaptation of rice pudding. The milk includes coconut milk and the rice is replaced with quinoa. Please do not assume this is the traditional recipe for Peruvian Rice Pudding, because it is rather different. But, it has a lovely similarity. The coconut is subtle and the nuttiness of the quinoa comes through. If you’d like, you may serve with other tropical fruits or toasted coconut.

coconut quinoa puddingCreamy Coconut Quinoa Pudding

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of milk (can use lowfat)
1 cup of coconut milk (can use lowfat)
3/4 cup of quinoa, sorted* and rinsed (can be substituted with rice or barley)
1/2 cup of sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon of salt
toasted coconut for garnish

Preparation

1. In the top of a double boiler set over hot water, combine milk, coconut milk, quinoa, 1/4 cup of sugar and salt. Simmer until the quinoa is tender and most of the milk has been absorbed, about 1 1/2 hours; stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining sugar and set aside to cool. Just before serving, garnish with shaved coconut.

*When I say sorted, I mean to be sure you go through the quinoa to be sure there are no damaged grains, small pebbles or other such items to remove and discard. I am not sure if this is a problem in other countries, because I have only bought quinoa here in Peru. Nothing is worse than enjoying a creamy dessert only to find a tiny pebble in it!

Yield: Serves 4
Source: Adapted from 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans and Grains

22 Responses to “Creamy Coconut Quinoa Pudding”

1. This sounds very interesting. I haven’t tried quinoa yet!

Posted by RecipeGirl | March 14, 2008, 8:51 am
  2. Looks delicious! I love the pictures lol.

Posted by Jessy and her dog Winnie | March 14, 2008, 10:11 am
  3. Now that looks GOOD.

Posted by Cakespy | March 14, 2008, 10:28 am
  4. Yum! Coconut would be an amazing flavor in this pudding. I have yet to find a pebble in my quinoa, but I’m fortunate to get mine from Trader Joes!

Posted by Karen | March 14, 2008, 11:53 am
  5. This sounds wonderful. I need to pick up some quinoa to try it with, I would also love to try it with brown rice. Sounds delicious! I can’t wait to give it a try :)

Posted by stephchows | March 14, 2008, 1:17 pm
  6. As a Peruvian-American, I love this blog and enjoy all the recipes. I enjoy your perspective on Peruvian culture as well.

Posted by bellissima_romy | March 14, 2008, 1:20 pm
  7. I’m not usually a big rice pudding fan, but I really am wanting to try this out! Maybe because I love coconut so much…

Posted by Deborah | March 14, 2008, 1:51 pm
  8. that looks fantastic. Love the quinoa instead of rice. should try that soon.

Posted by Aran | March 14, 2008, 4:41 pm
  9. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar, divided. Where is the other 1/4 cup used? Did I miss something? I’m definitely going to try this soon.

Posted by Cindy | March 14, 2008, 4:55 pm
  10. Another delicious use for Quinoa, I love it.

Posted by Julie | March 14, 2008, 5:48 pm
  11. That looks great, I would love to have fresh coconut!

Posted by Brilynn | March 14, 2008, 6:33 pm
  12. More quinoa! I love it. What a fantastic idea! And insurance for political demonstrations!? That’s both funny and troubling…

Posted by Joy the Baker | March 14, 2008, 8:37 pm
  13. This looks sensational Gretchen. I love rice pudding, and this reminds me a lot of that.

Posted by Cakelaw | March 15, 2008, 5:14 am
  14. Using quinoa to make a pudding is a great idea. Especially for a coconut pudding. Bookmarked.

Posted by Kevin | March 15, 2008, 4:31 pm
  15. RecipeGirl – You really must try quinoa in both sweet and savory dishes.
    Jessy – Thanks!
    Cakespy – Thanks! It was delicious!
    Karen – I am glad to hear that the quinoa there may be better cleaned.
    Stephchows – Yes, with rice I think it would be delicious and may even get creamier.
    Romy – I do apologize if you found my comment offensive. It certainly wasn’t meant with the intention you read it with.
    Deborah – I love rice pudding a lot but this was a nice change to have the coconut flavoring.
    Aran – The quinoa may not end up as creamy but I love knowing I am eating a healthy grain.
    Julie – Thanks for pointing that out! The extra 1/4 cup is stirred in after it simmers and most of the liquid is absorbed. I will update it right now!
    Brilynn – Me too!
    Joy – Yes, more quinoa! Insurance…yes, well…it is necessary!
    Cakelaw – Thanks! It is a lot like rice pudding, just with a different grain and with coconut flavor. nice change!
    Kevin – Thanks! I loved the nutty flavor in quinoa paired with the coconut. Delicious!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 15, 2008, 8:40 pm
  16. I love quinoa, but haven’t had it in a sweet dish yet. This sounds delicious! I’m not sure if I’d like the idea of driving though violent demonstration, though! I don’t get that kind of excitement.

Posted by kellypea | March 16, 2008, 3:41 am
  17. I’ve never tried quinoa, but your pudding looks great. I love the toasted coconut, it looks yummy!

Posted by Half Baked | March 16, 2008, 8:03 am
  18. This looks great! I’m going to try some quinoa pudding soon!

Posted by Anali | March 16, 2008, 9:59 am
  19. ooh yummy scrummy! I love coconuts, there is nothing like fresh ones and I never realised how good they were until I tried them in Thailand.

Posted by bbaking | March 16, 2008, 2:30 pm
  20. What an interesting way to use quinoa! I recently bought quinoa flakes and haven’t yet figured out what to do with them. I do love the flavor combos in this.

Posted by Annemarie | March 16, 2008, 4:55 pm
  21. i love fresh coconut! and i wish i had pretty star fruit to garnish my dishes too :)

Posted by Jaime | March 17, 2008, 8:20 pm
  22. Kellypea – I hope you try quinoa with something sweet, it adds a nice nutty flavor!
    Half Baked – Oh, do try quinoa it is delicious and so good for you!
    Anali – Hope you do!
    Bev – Sad there are not fresh coconuts there!
    Annemarie – Flakes? As in similar to oat flakes? Or more like bran cereal flakes? I use the flakes (similar to oats) as a oatmeal replacement in recipes.
    Jaime – Fresh coconut is delicious. Sorry about the star fruit. We have them in abundance here. I have picked them off trees. :)

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 18, 2008, 10:29 pm