Dessert

Caramel Topped Flan [TWD]

Most flan recipes that I have made have turned out to be what they call Crema Volteada here in Peru. This recipe is the more traditional flan topped with a homemade caramel syrup.

caramel topped flanCaramel-Topped Flan

Ingredients

For the Caramel:
1/3 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of water
squirt of fresh lime juice

For the Flan:
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1 1/4 cups of whole milk
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of toffee extract

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9-x-13-inch baking dish with a double thickness of paper towels. Put a metal 8-x-2-inch round cake pan (not a nonstick one) in the oven to heat while you prepare the caramel.
    2. Stir the sugar, water and lime juice together in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Put the pan over medium-high heat and cook until the sugar becomes an amber-colored caramel, about 5 minutes.
    3. Remove the cake pan from the oven and pour the caramel into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the caramel evenly over the bottom; set the pan aside.
    4. Bring the cream and milk just to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, yolks and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk vigorously for a minute or two, and then stir in the vanilla. Whisk in about one quarter of the hot milk to temper the eggs. Then slowly whisk in the remainder of the milk mixture. Using a large spoon, skim off the bubbles and foam.
    5. Put the caramel-lined cake pan in the roasting pan. Pour the custard into the cake pan and slide the baking dish with the cake pan into the oven. Pour boiling water baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake the flan for about 35 minutes (mine took over an hour) or until the top puffs a bit and is golden here and there. A knife inserted into the center of the flan should come out clean.
    6. Remove the roasting pan from the oven, transfer the cake pan to a cooking rack and run a knife between the flan and the sides of the pan to loosen it. Let the flan cool to room temperature on the rack, then loosely cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
    7. When ready to serve, once more, run a knife between the flan and the pan. Choose a rimmed serving platter, place the platter over the cake pan, quickly flip the platter and pan over and remove the cake pan. The flan will slide out and the caramel sauce will coat the custard.

Yield: Serves 6-8
Source: Adapted from Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Caramel-Topped Flan was chosen by Steph of A Whisk and A Spoon for Tuesdays With Dorie.

50 Responses to “Caramel Topped Flan [TWD]”

1. Too bad that this recipe didn’t live up to your expectations, but there is always next week!

Posted by noskos | March 25, 2008, 7:24 am
  2. At least you have a fall-back flan type dessert; I stick with something more like creme brulee personally. Either way, it looks amazing!

Posted by Engineer Baker | March 25, 2008, 7:31 am
  3. We didn’t like the runny sauce either, but your flan looks great. And I know, that I don’t like the next week’s recipe: It’s dense, moist and underbaked, nothing for the North European palate :-)Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Posted by ostwestwind | March 25, 2008, 7:55 am
  4. it looks like creme caramel! Very yummy looking! Hope you had a great Easter! x

Posted by bbaking | March 25, 2008, 9:05 am
  5. Looks just perfect! And delicious.

Posted by Shari | March 25, 2008, 9:16 am
  6. It looks wonderful! Not my fav, either, but it was fun to make.

Posted by Annemarie | March 25, 2008, 9:51 am
  7. I think your flan looks really nice. I especially like picture number 2. I had been hoping for a thicker caramel sauce not the runny one that it ended up having. My husband sucked it back though, He loved it!

Posted by Marie | March 25, 2008, 9:52 am
  8. Beautiful photos! Your flan looks perfect…like the kind that I love!

Posted by Karen | March 25, 2008, 10:12 am
  9. Noskos – True, I think i will like next weeks!Engineer Baker – I like the creamier kind best!Ulli – Too bad you won’t enjoy the molten cakes, I think they will be a favorite of mine!Bev – Thanks! Nice Easter, and you?Shari – Thanks!Annemarie – It is good we try things even though they are not our favorite!Marie – Thanks so much! The caramel was just not as i expected either.Karen – Thanks girl!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 25, 2008, 10:29 am
  10. your flan looks really smooth and silky. Too bad that it was not up to your expectation. Well, I know that I won’t like the recipe for TWD next week and I’m now contemplating whether I should give it a miss! :-)

Posted by Piggy | March 25, 2008, 11:50 am
  11. Your pics look great! Much better than my flan turned out.

Posted by Heather | March 25, 2008, 12:10 pm
  12. Flan equals childhood for me. So many memories. This one is perfectly baked too, I can tell. So smooth! Well done!

Posted by Aran | March 25, 2008, 12:26 pm
  13. Gretchen, this looks sooo delicous! I love flan! I am printing out the recipe ASAP. Now I have a bunch of printouts of yummy stuff from my favorite blogs including yours, and hopefully I’ll try all of them. Thanks for posting!

Posted by farida | March 25, 2008, 12:57 pm
  14. yours looks good, despite the caramel water. Did you serve yours the same day, or later? I’m curious if I’d have gotten caramel water without the wait as well.

Posted by Katrina | March 25, 2008, 1:15 pm
  15. It looks great. Sorry you didn’t care for it though.

Posted by Dianne | March 25, 2008, 1:59 pm
  16. Yours looks beautiful. But there are flans I like and some I don’t.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | March 25, 2008, 3:09 pm
  17. I’m not sure why you got caramel water instead of syrup. When I cooked the caramel it took nearly 10 minutes rather than 5; I watched it carefully so I could remove it from the heat at the right moment.Now, after a few days in the refrigerator, the caramel syrup is still fine. It could be the cooking time or the kind of sugar; hard to say.Would be willing to post your version as a comparison?

Posted by Judy | March 25, 2008, 3:13 pm
  18. super beau et super réussi! bravo :)

Posted by Isabelle | March 25, 2008, 3:34 pm
  19. Glad you have a fallback. It wasn’t my favorite either. But, it sure looks pretty!

Posted by Bumblebutton | March 25, 2008, 3:39 pm
  20. Sorry you didn’t like it all that much. It still looks great- you have a beautiful presentation!

Posted by Erin | March 25, 2008, 3:43 pm
  21. Your flan looks gorgeous. Its too bad you didn’t like it but I guess you can’t like them all right? ;)

Posted by CB | March 25, 2008, 4:16 pm
  22. Flan … meh. I don’t like it, either. But your pics are lovely.

Posted by Rebecca | March 25, 2008, 4:58 pm
  23. I love flan! Though I get the texture and runny caramel thing, but I’m going to try your recipe anyway! (this is the Rebecca of From Argentina With Love!)(Though I agree with the other Rebecca that your photos make the flan look lucious!)

Posted by Rebecca | March 25, 2008, 5:03 pm
  24. It looks delicious! Great pictures!

Posted by Heather | March 25, 2008, 5:41 pm
  25. Your flan looks great, too bad you didn’t enjoy it. Hope you could make some others happy with it.

Posted by Mevrouw Cupcake | March 25, 2008, 5:45 pm
  26. Caramel water is a perfect name for it! Yours looks great though.

Posted by Melissa | March 25, 2008, 5:49 pm
  27. Hi – the flan looks great! Good on you for having a go – I didn’t even get that far! Here’s to next week! Hx

Posted by Helen | March 25, 2008, 7:38 pm
  28. Sorry to hear it didn’t come out exactly as you’d hoped — I know the feeling. :) But I’m glad your guests liked it, and at least you’ll be on to a new recipe next week! The pictures look great, btw.

Posted by Amy | March 25, 2008, 7:48 pm
  29. Sorry to read you weren’t thrilled with the results. It does look good, though.j

Posted by jasmine | March 25, 2008, 7:54 pm
  30. Yours looks absolutely stunning! Just like flan should look!

Posted by kimberleyblue | March 25, 2008, 9:36 pm
  31. This is wicked!!!! Your recipe is also so simple that even I as a novice can make it, thx

Posted by Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) | March 26, 2008, 2:14 am
  32. This is wicked!!!! Your recipe is also so simple that even I as a novice can make it, thx

Posted by Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) | March 26, 2008, 2:14 am
  33. This is wicked!!!! Your recipe is also so simple that even I as a novice can make it, thx

Posted by Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) | March 26, 2008, 2:14 am
  34. This is wicked!!!! Your recipe is also so simple that even I as a novice can make it, thx

Posted by Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) | March 26, 2008, 2:14 am
  35. Hi!My name is Jasmine and I’m from Quebec, Canada. I have juste discovered your blog and I love it! I’m going to Peru in 3 weeks and I wanted to try some peruvian recipes before I go. There are so many delicious recipes here, I don’t have to look no more.

Posted by Jasmine | March 26, 2008, 5:52 am
  36. Mine wasn’t everything I dreamed it would be either. At least it looks nice!

Posted by Carrie | March 26, 2008, 9:14 am
  37. Very nice!!

Posted by nicisme | March 26, 2008, 10:18 am
  38. It still came out beautifully even though you weren’t that crazy about it. Great photos too!

Posted by cruisingkitty | March 26, 2008, 11:01 am
  39. your flan looks beautiful. kind of like there is an amber colored glass on the top of it. what is crema volteada style flan?

Posted by The Frosted Bake Shop | March 26, 2008, 11:29 am
  40. I make lots of things I don’t like but that my family or guests, do. Oh, the sacrifices we make for those we love! Great job!

Posted by Rachel | March 26, 2008, 12:24 pm
  41. i didn’t love it either but your pics look great! :)

Posted by smellslikehome | March 26, 2008, 2:12 pm
  42. Piggy – Thanks! Too bad you won’t like the chocolate cakes, I am really looking forward to them!Heather – Thanks!Aran – Memories, really? (Hopefully good ones!) Thanks!Farida – Cannot wait to hear what you think!Katrina – I served mine a day later. With other flans, I know it typically has gotten thinner, but it remained syruppy no matter what day.Dianne – Thanks!Tanna – True, some I am learning to love…maybe to much!Judy – I am really not sure how long I cooked the caramel…it was dark and boiling for some time, certainly not just 5 minutes! But, maybe in an effort not to burn it I pulled it away too soon. I followed the recipe on the caramel part though, with white sugar and everything!Isabelle – Merci!Bumblebutton – I have enjoyed others more, but I am pleased I tried another recipe!Erin – Thanks!CB – You are so right!Rebecca – Thanks!Rebe – Glad you are going to try it, but you may want to attempt more of a Latin style one, that may over better in your home!Heather – Thanks!Mevrouw – Yes, others did enjoy it!Melissa – True…caramel water topped flan!Helen – Thanks! Hope you enjoy the chocolate cakes for next week!Amy – I am looking forward to next weeks recipe!jasmine – Thanks!Kimberlyblue – Thanks!Nina – Flan is rather simple to make, I have learned that!Jasmine – Visiting Peru? That is so exciting! I hope you enjoy the recipes here, please let me know if you have any questions!Carrie – It is a stunning dessert all around, but the taste and texture don’t always match up!Nicisme – Thanks!Cruising Kitty – Thanks!Frosted Bake Shop – Thanks! The crema volteada style is the latin style of flan using condensed milk. It seems to produce more of a creamy flan rather than a jiggly flan!Rachel – So true!!!Smells Like Home – Thanks!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 7:51 am
  43. You did a fabulous making it even though it was exactly to your liking. I love the Peruvian name for flan, so poetic!

Posted by Tartelette | March 27, 2008, 12:08 pm
  44. Even though the caramel was more like syrup when I was distributing it around the bottom of the baking pan, I was very surprised the caramel was so watery when I served the flan. I didn’t mind the texture so much, but, now that you’ve mentioned it, maybe the flan would have been better with a caramel syrup rather than water.I wished my flans came out creamier; my parents felt that it was little too hard.

Posted by Cecilia | March 27, 2008, 1:42 pm
  45. Yes, I would love to love flan too….but it just ain’t happening! I’m with you all the way

Posted by The Baker's Lamb | March 27, 2008, 3:16 pm
  46. Yes, I would love to love flan too….but it just ain’t happening! I’m with you all the way

Posted by The Baker's Lamb | March 27, 2008, 3:16 pm
  47. Yes, I would love to love flan too….but it just ain’t happening! I’m with you all the way

Posted by The Baker's Lamb | March 27, 2008, 3:16 pm
  48. Yes, I would love to love flan too….but it just ain’t happening! I’m with you all the way

Posted by The Baker's Lamb | March 27, 2008, 3:16 pm
  49. Tartelette – I am just glad others got to enjoy it!Cecilia – Syrup would have been much nicer and creamy is delicious when it comes to flan. I think.Baker’s Lamb – Next time…next time.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 27, 2008, 9:42 pm
  50. sorry you didn’t really like it. it looks PERFECT though – so shiny and smooth!

Posted by Jaime | April 14, 2008, 2:47 pm