Russian Grandmothers Apple Pie Cake [TWD]

1. lemontartlet says:

How neat is it that we poasted our pire today? Thank you for the information, I’ve always loved him and it was fun to read more accurate information. Your pie looks so nice, and I like your idea of using lime juice in the filling. Added more flour because of the humidity here too, it worked very well.

2. Annemarie says:

Great info..I had no idea! Your pics look wonderful!

3. Amy says:

Thanks for sharing the story. I had no idea. And your pics look wonderful!

4. Mevrouw Cupcake says:

What a great little history lesson, I haven’t thought about Johnny Appleseed in years. Your pie-cake looks great!

5. Marie says:

Happy Johnny Appleseed day to you too! I always loved watching the Walt disney cartoon about him. Love yoru piecake. It looks delicious! Great idea to use cranberries. I thought the crust a tad sticky as well. I served ours with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.

6. Aran says:

I always enjoying reading your stories right before trying to sink my teeth into whatever you made. Lovely!

7. Joy the Baker says:

That looks beautiful! I take apples for granted and never think of Johnny Appleseed! Thanks for sharing!

8. smellslikehome says:

Great job hunting down the Johnny Appleseed story and how appropriate that our March 11th TWD involves apples!! Great job with your pie-cake!

9. chelley325 says:

Thanks for the little history lesson – how neat!! Your crust looks like it set up absolutely perfectly – wonderful job :)

10. ostwestwind says:

I always learn something new! Johnny Appleseed and a cake that’s totally different from all apple cakes I baked before.Great work!Ulrike from Küchenlatein

11. noskos says:

Thanks for the history lesson!! Nice looking pie-cake!!

12. CB says:

What a cowinky dink! Great addition to your post about Johnny Appleseed. Your pie-cake look yummy!-Clarahttp://iheartfood4thought.wordpress.com

13. Katy says:

YUM! that looks so great!

14. Erin says:

Yours looks so good! I love how your crust looks. Thanks for sharing the Johnny Appleseed story. This was a good week for this recipe!

15. slush says:

Awesome story, I just love the wiki! And your pie-cake looks perfect too. Great job!

16. Dianne says:

I didn’t know it was Johnny Appleseed Day! This was a great recipe to celebrate that though.

17. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

This is lovely Gretchen! I marked this recipe when I first got the book and have yet to bake it.

18. Jessy and her dog Winnie says:

That looks great! I love apples. Great history on johnny Appleseed!

19. Carrie says:

Nice little bit of info on Johnny Appleseed!Great pie-cake!

20. Cara says:

this looks *so* good.I need an occasion to make it!

21. Judy says:

Thanks for the story on Johnny Appleseed — how appropriate. I’m going to try cranberries next time along with currants. I like those fruits better than raisins except in a few things.

22. Claudia says:

Never heard of Johnny Appleseed Day before. Thanks for introducing it to me!

23. Dolores says:

What a wonderful way to commemorate an American folk hero… AND tie it into TWD. Beautiful job!

24. Melissa says:

Great info on Johnny Appleseed!

25. Jaime says:

wow, what a huge coincidence that today is johnny appleseed day! your pie-cake looks great!

26. Nikki57 says:

I love the Johnny Appleseed tie in! I can’t believe our posts coinsided so perfectly. I haven’t heard about Johnny Appleseed in years, so it was nice to get an adult version refresher!Your pie-cake looks great

27. eatme_delicious says:

Yum looks like it turned out really well for you. :) I love that browned crust!

28. Cakelaw says:

Gretchen, in a word – YUM.

29. Rachel says:

That was an interesting post..I would forego raisins cos I ain’t a big fan of them….The pie looks lovely

LT – Perfect day, no? I use lime due to the lack of lemon!Annemarie – Thanks!Amy – You are welcome, and thank you!Mevrouw – Thanks! Me either! Marie – :) Your serving idea sounds fantastic!Aran – Thank you.Joy – Thanks! and you are most welcome!Smells like home – It was a perfect day!Chelley – You are welcome! I would have preferred the crust less cooked, actually.Ostwestwind – Ha! Thanks!Noskos – You are welcome. CB – Thanks!Katy – It was tasty!erin – Thanks! It was a perfect week!Laurie – Yes, me too! thanks!Dianne – Perfect pie-cake celebration!Tanna – Definitely worth a try!JEssy! – Thanks! Hope you try the recipe!Carrie – Thanks!Cara – Do find a reason to make it, so worth trying!Judy – Very appropriate! Cranberries are so much better in my book than raisins!Claudia – Me neither, but I got tipped off and thought it was perfect!Dolores – Thanks so much!Melissa – Thanks!Jaime – Lovely way to celebrate, no?Nikki – It was a perfect day! Thanks!Ashley – Thanks!Cakelaw – :) Try it, you’ll like it!Rachel – Thanks! I am not a raisin fan either!

31. Tartelette says:

Yum Yum Yum! Looks delicious! I think I’ll make it this weekend!

32. Piggy says:

thanks for sharing the story! your apple pie-cake looks awesome!

33. toni says:

Just the phrase “apples are bubbling up through the slits” makes my mouth water! And I never knew that much about Johnny Appleseed….Thanks for sharing!

34. Warda says:

Gretchen, the tart looks scrumptious. Especially the crust on top. Great way to celebrate pie day!

35. kellypea says:

I’m loving these little appley, cakey, pie thingies! Apple is one of my very favorite flavors in anything baked. Simply scrumptious looking!

36. Brilynn says:

There’s a Dorie recipe for every story, looks great!

37. LyB says:

That looks so absolutely delicious! I love the cranberries in there, it’s a nice colorful touch.

38. Rebecca says:

This looks wonderful! i like the addition of cranberries instead of raisins. I thought of you today, Gretchen! I went to the local Latin market-thay have so many Peruvian things! And not so many Argentinian, but enough. :)

39. Karen says:

Yum! This looks like the perfect autumn dessert, although I would enjoy it any day of the week!

Tartelette – Hope you do!Piggy – Very welcome! thanks!Toni – Ha! really, I didn’t either. I love learning about history thru food.warda – Thanks! Very delicious too!Kellypea – They are one great pie cake!Brilynn – True, true!LyB – Thanks. Cranberries are tasty!Rebe – Thanks! I love that they have Peruvian things at the market. You will have to let me know what kinds of things are there. How fun!Karen – This certainly will be a great fall dessert. Or breakfast.

1. November 2, 2014

[…] have made pies. Fruit pies, cream pies, pumpkin pies, even pies in the form of cupcakes! But I can tell you with all honesty, […]