Snickery Squares [TWD]

1. Priscilla says:

Gretchen those look wonderful! My mouth is watering!! I’d have one even for “breakfast”!*smile*

2. April says:

They look delicious!

3. Ashlee Wetherington says:

Thanks, yours look great too! Those peanuts were So good!If you have any traditional Peruvian recipes I’d love to use them when I do Peru in my country challenge!

4. Karen says:

oh my sweet goodness, those look incredible!

5. Joy the Baker says:

hmmm. I didn’t make these this week for TWD, but I totally understand your problem. Two different consistencies creating the ooze factor. They came out lovely nonetheless.

6. slush says:

They look fantastic Gretchen! Let us know when you do give them another go. Can’t wait to see the goo update. :)

7. The Frosted Bake Shop says:

your bars look good. your dulce looks so gooey.

8. Ann says:

Oh man… I have to comment and leave FAST before I look at this recipe any longer! Snicker’s bars are a real weakness of mine and I am proud to say I have not had one in over two years. If I made these I’d eat the entire batch! Your photo is gorgeous!

9. Jessy and her dog Winnie says:

That looks great! I love snickers!

10. bbaking says:

I think these look great!! yum I could eat one right now!!

11. Karina says:

I had similar gooey problems. Probably I could have avoided them if I had cooked the dulce de leche down a little further, but I decided it just added to the fun of eating these. What’s the point of having a decadent treat like these if you aren’t going to get a little messy?!

12. sunita says:

Gretchen, I am literally drooling…looks great…loved your quinoa flan too :-)

13. Isabelle says:

Ils sont vraiment beaux ! bravo :)

14. Emiline says:

Why-oh-why do you you tempt me with your delicious looking Snickery Squares?Those are perfect for me.I wonder if my mom ate a Snickers bar when she was pregnant with me, too? Rumor has it that she spent quite a bit of time in Burger King.Sorry about the gooey leakage, but who cares! Those look great.

15. Mansi Desai says:

Hey! these look perfectly delicious Gretchen! I’m not a big fan of snickers by itself, but these are really tempting:)

16. Michelle in Colorado Springs says:

I had the oozing problem as well. Next time I make them I think that I might make them in mini muffen cups and have it like a little gooy candy.

Priscilla – Starting at breakfast could be dangerous!April – Thanks!Ashlee – I have plenty of Peruvian recipes, just let me know!Karen – Thanks! :)Joy – Yes, but they were tasty.Laurie – Thanks! I will work on them one day!Frosted Bake Shop – Thanks! It was really gooey!Ann – ha!!! Two years!?!Jessy – Thank you!Bev – They are all gone, sorry!Karina – True, true!Sunita – Thanks! and Thanks! :)Isabelle – Merci!Emiline – Hehe! Gooey sometimes does mean good. Mansi – Thanks!Michelle – Great idea!

18. Michelle says:

These look really scrumptious! I have to tell a quick story: As a newlywed, my hubby bought me a Snickers bar every single day to support my addiction (sometimes twice a day!). Then, one day, my husband went to the nearby quickstop and found the shelf empty. He went to the counter and asked the man, “where are all the Snickers bars?” The man simply replied, “Your wife ate them.” True story.

19. Engineer Baker says:

Mine crushed and oozed everywhere too. I’m thinking that if you make the dulce yourself and cook it down really thick that might solve the problem. The storebought stuff tends to be more like caramel than a thick spread. Either way, they look amazing!

20. Bronwyn says:

There is a cake which is common in teashops and grandmothers’ kitchens here in New Zealand, called “tan square”. It has shortcake on the bottom, then caramel, then crumbled shortcake and walnuts on top. The thing is, the caramel is cooked WITH the shortcake, therefore sets and goes nice and chewy. This is how I have always made the “English Caramel Shortcake” you mention – press the shortcake into the pan, spread over that the mixture of condensed milk, butter, golden syrup etc, then cook it all together in the oven (much easier than stirring for goodness knows how long). Then you ice it with the chocolate icing when it’s cooled. I’d try doing that with your snickery bars.

21. leafy bombshell says:

Hi Gretchen! You know.. when I was reading your recipe and you mentioned using your Manjar Blanco, my first thoughts were how I thought it might be too soft for this. The gooeyness looks pretty, but I can imagine it made the slicing difficult. Especially if you wanted it to look pretty. Why not give the boiling of the can of condensed milk recipe for dulce de leche a try? Perhaps you can do a comparison this way? I know I would!

22. Sweet and Savory Eats says:

I am in the States and had the same problem with the filling oozing when I cut the bars. I made my own dulce de leche, so I’m not sure if I just didn’t let it cook long enough to thicken as much as I thought it should. Sounds like a good excuse to try this recipe again. ;-)

23. Aran says:

oh my!!! Those look so gooey… Yum!!

24. noskos says:

Nice looking squares!! I boiled my condensed milk in the can for 4 hours and it has the perfect thickness for these squares.

25. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

26. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

27. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

28. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

29. culinography says:

I’d be happy to help with taking those off your hands. :)

30. steph- whisk/spoon says:

hey–they look good to me! i’m with you on twix and PB cups (also love kit-kat)being favorites! don’t know if you made your own manjar, but i made my own DDL from sweetened condensed milk using the boil-in-the-can method. i boiled mine for 3 hours, which i knew would give me a firm caramel. i think doing it 2 hours gives you a sauce-like caramel.

31. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

Whoa! Those look so deliciously decadent! Nice pictures that really bring out the ingredients!

32. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

Who cares if the caramel is a little soft! It looks fabulous! The gooier the better, I always say. :D

33. Amy says:

These look so delicious! I’ve had this bookmarked in BFMHTY to try — at least I’ll be prepared for some gooey dulce de leche. :)

34. Jaime says:

mine was a little gooey too but i thought that was b/c i had not cooked my dulce long enough? either way it was still tasty in my opinion! yours look fantastic!

35. Cakelaw says:

OMG – I really, really want to try these. My tongue has just hit the floor – caramel, nuts and chocolate in one – oh, too much to bear!

Michelle – That is funny! Oops!Engineer Baker – Yes, I think it must be cooked down, way down!Bronwyn – I think the British version I made did in fact cook the caramel with the shortbread. And yes, it was a mixture of a few things which helped that one thicken up. I am sure that filling would be delicious here.Leafy Bombshell – Good idea.Sweet & Savory – Definitely. “Just testing recipes.” Right? ;)Aran – Thanks, they were yummy & gooey!Noskos – Great idea, I will see how to get the manjar thicker here.Rosa – Thanks!Michelle – I already pawned them off on a friend! Sorry!Steph – Ah, kit-kat…I liked that too!! Good to know your method.Jenn – Thanks!SGCC – Thanks! Amy – Great to hear you want to make them. And what is BFMHTY?Jaime – Yes, I think the longer cooked, the firmer it comes out.Cakelaw – You should try them, they are rich & delicious!

37. Cookie baker Lynn says:

Looks totally scrumptious. I’ve always been a Snickers fan, so I”m all over this one!

38. Erin says:

These look delicious! I enjoyed them, but they were definitely very gooey! I love Twix too…maybe there’s a bar cookie variation we can try on that? =)

39. Claudia says:

Your snickery squares look so delicious! Everywhere I look around the twd-blogroll I see fantastic snickery squares!

Lynn – This was delicious! You will love it!Erin – Ooohhh….let’s! I love twix and it would be incredible as an entire dessert!Claudia – Thanks!