Brownies & Bars

Snickery Squares [TWD]

Snickery SquaresRumor has it that when my mother was pregnant with me, she asked my father to bring her a Snickers bar every afternoon on his lunch break. It was all she craved. I grew up watching my mom eat an occasional Snickers bar. It never interested me much. I preferred peanut butter cups and Twix bars. Oh, Twix bars! I love the creamy goodness those bring rather than the bite and crunch of large nuts. I do have an affinity for chocolate and peanut flavors together, but I admit I had a bit of trouble with these bars.

Mind you, I should have known. I made Britsh Caramel Shortbread back in October. I made a version of the recipe as is and a version with Manjar Blanco, the Peruvian version of Dulce de Leche. The original recipe won out by far, not just for taste but also for durability and texture. You see the manjar never “set” so when cut through the chocolate topping, it was as if the pressure caused a cave in and a ooze out. Why didn’t I remember this episode before I made these Snickery Squares? Call it selective memory. Call it hope. But, these in actuality came out just the same. Don’t get me wrong, I like ooey, gooey sweets. But I was hoping for something more durable.

Am I the only one who ran across this problem? I have used the Peruvian Manjar Blanco as well as the Argentinean Dulce de Leche. Both had similar results. Does the DDL you find outside of South America harden and set when chilled?

I will make these again. But, I will try another method. I think I must cook the Manjar down, maybe with a little butter. Here in Peru, many things are cooked and stirred “until you can see the bottom of the pot.” This is what I need to do: cook and stir until I can see the bottom of the pot. I think that will help the Manjar or DDL to set in a way that prevents the cave in and ooze out. I think I will also chop up all the peanuts, not just those on top; I imagine I will like it that way a bit more!

I will let you know the new outcome when I do. Deal?

Snickery Squares

• 100 grams of butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
  • 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
  • Filling:
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of water
  • 200 grams of salted peanuts
  • 200 grams of Manjar Blanco (Dulce de Leche)
  • Topping:
  • 200 grams of dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 100 grams of butter, cut into small pieces at room temperature

Preparation

1. CRUST: Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the flour, sugar, powdered sugar and salt in a medium sized bowl. Cut in the pieces of cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the egg yolk and stir until clumps form. Add dough to a square baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Gently press the dough across the bottom of the pan and prick with a fork. Place the square baking dish on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, or until it takes on just a little color around the edges. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool to room temperature before filling.
  2. PEANUTS: Place a sheet of wax paper, lightly coated with cooking spray, onto a baking sheet. Combine the sugar and water in the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook the sugar at medium-high heat, without stirring, until it just starts to darken in color. Add the peanuts and stir immediately to coat the peanuts with sugar. Continue to stir as the peanut turn white in color from the sugar, then turn caramel in color. Spread the peanuts out over the wax paper spreading them out. Cool the nuts to room temperature. Once the peanuts are cooled, separate them or break them into small pieces. Leave them whole or chop them coarsely or finely, depending on your preference.
  3. Spread the Manjar Blanco over the shortbread base and sprinkle half the peanuts over the top.
  4. TOPPING: In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Over medium heat, melt the ingredients, stirring constantly. Pour the chocolate over the manjar blanco.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining peanuts on top. Slide the pan into the fridge to set the topping, about 20 minutes. Cut into 16 bars. Serve or chill longer.

Snickery Squares¬†were chosen by Erin of Dinner & Dessert. Enjoy more Snickery Squares by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesday’s With Dorie website.

40 Responses to “Snickery Squares [TWD]”

1. Gretchen those look wonderful! My mouth is watering!! I’d have one even for “breakfast”!*smile*

Posted by Priscilla | March 4, 2008, 9:48 am
  2. They look delicious!

Posted by April | March 4, 2008, 10:11 am
  3. Thanks, yours look great too! Those peanuts were So good!If you have any traditional Peruvian recipes I’d love to use them when I do Peru in my country challenge!

Posted by Ashlee Wetherington | March 4, 2008, 10:12 am
  4. oh my sweet goodness, those look incredible!

Posted by Karen | March 4, 2008, 10:55 am
  5. hmmm. I didn’t make these this week for TWD, but I totally understand your problem. Two different consistencies creating the ooze factor. They came out lovely nonetheless.

Posted by Joy the Baker | March 4, 2008, 11:38 am
  6. They look fantastic Gretchen! Let us know when you do give them another go. Can’t wait to see the goo update. :)

Posted by slush | March 4, 2008, 12:01 pm
  7. your bars look good. your dulce looks so gooey.

Posted by The Frosted Bake Shop | March 4, 2008, 1:27 pm
  8. Oh man… I have to comment and leave FAST before I look at this recipe any longer! Snicker’s bars are a real weakness of mine and I am proud to say I have not had one in over two years. If I made these I’d eat the entire batch! Your photo is gorgeous!

Posted by Ann | March 4, 2008, 3:24 pm
  9. That looks great! I love snickers!

Posted by Jessy and her dog Winnie | March 4, 2008, 3:52 pm
  10. I think these look great!! yum I could eat one right now!!

Posted by bbaking | March 4, 2008, 4:48 pm
  11. I had similar gooey problems. Probably I could have avoided them if I had cooked the dulce de leche down a little further, but I decided it just added to the fun of eating these. What’s the point of having a decadent treat like these if you aren’t going to get a little messy?!

Posted by Karina | March 4, 2008, 4:49 pm
  12. Gretchen, I am literally drooling…looks great…loved your quinoa flan too :-)

Posted by sunita | March 4, 2008, 5:31 pm
  13. Ils sont vraiment beaux ! bravo :)

Posted by Isabelle | March 4, 2008, 5:37 pm
  14. Why-oh-why do you you tempt me with your delicious looking Snickery Squares?Those are perfect for me.I wonder if my mom ate a Snickers bar when she was pregnant with me, too? Rumor has it that she spent quite a bit of time in Burger King.Sorry about the gooey leakage, but who cares! Those look great.

Posted by Emiline | March 4, 2008, 5:54 pm
  15. Hey! these look perfectly delicious Gretchen! I’m not a big fan of snickers by itself, but these are really tempting:)

Posted by Mansi Desai | March 4, 2008, 6:57 pm
  16. I had the oozing problem as well. Next time I make them I think that I might make them in mini muffen cups and have it like a little gooy candy.

Posted by Michelle in Colorado Springs | March 4, 2008, 7:21 pm
  17. Priscilla – Starting at breakfast could be dangerous!April – Thanks!Ashlee – I have plenty of Peruvian recipes, just let me know!Karen – Thanks! :)Joy – Yes, but they were tasty.Laurie – Thanks! I will work on them one day!Frosted Bake Shop – Thanks! It was really gooey!Ann – ha!!! Two years!?!Jessy – Thank you!Bev – They are all gone, sorry!Karina – True, true!Sunita – Thanks! and Thanks! :)Isabelle – Merci!Emiline – Hehe! Gooey sometimes does mean good. Mansi – Thanks!Michelle – Great idea!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 4, 2008, 7:26 pm
  18. These look really scrumptious! I have to tell a quick story: As a newlywed, my hubby bought me a Snickers bar every single day to support my addiction (sometimes twice a day!). Then, one day, my husband went to the nearby quickstop and found the shelf empty. He went to the counter and asked the man, “where are all the Snickers bars?” The man simply replied, “Your wife ate them.” True story.

Posted by Michelle | March 4, 2008, 7:46 pm
  19. Mine crushed and oozed everywhere too. I’m thinking that if you make the dulce yourself and cook it down really thick that might solve the problem. The storebought stuff tends to be more like caramel than a thick spread. Either way, they look amazing!

Posted by Engineer Baker | March 4, 2008, 8:27 pm
  20. There is a cake which is common in teashops and grandmothers’ kitchens here in New Zealand, called “tan square”. It has shortcake on the bottom, then caramel, then crumbled shortcake and walnuts on top. The thing is, the caramel is cooked WITH the shortcake, therefore sets and goes nice and chewy. This is how I have always made the “English Caramel Shortcake” you mention – press the shortcake into the pan, spread over that the mixture of condensed milk, butter, golden syrup etc, then cook it all together in the oven (much easier than stirring for goodness knows how long). Then you ice it with the chocolate icing when it’s cooled. I’d try doing that with your snickery bars.

Posted by Bronwyn | March 4, 2008, 8:41 pm
  21. Hi Gretchen! You know.. when I was reading your recipe and you mentioned using your Manjar Blanco, my first thoughts were how I thought it might be too soft for this. The gooeyness looks pretty, but I can imagine it made the slicing difficult. Especially if you wanted it to look pretty. Why not give the boiling of the can of condensed milk recipe for dulce de leche a try? Perhaps you can do a comparison this way? I know I would!

Posted by leafy bombshell | March 4, 2008, 9:49 pm
  22. I am in the States and had the same problem with the filling oozing when I cut the bars. I made my own dulce de leche, so I’m not sure if I just didn’t let it cook long enough to thicken as much as I thought it should. Sounds like a good excuse to try this recipe again. ;-)

Posted by Sweet and Savory Eats | March 5, 2008, 1:37 am
  23. oh my!!! Those look so gooey… Yum!!

Posted by Aran | March 5, 2008, 4:11 am
  24. Nice looking squares!! I boiled my condensed milk in the can for 4 hours and it has the perfect thickness for these squares.

Posted by noskos | March 5, 2008, 4:30 am
  25. Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 5, 2008, 4:59 am
  26. Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 5, 2008, 4:59 am
  27. Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 5, 2008, 4:59 am
  28. Those “dirty” bars look almighty gorgeous! I’m drooling!Cheers,Rosa

Posted by Rosa's Yummy Yums | March 5, 2008, 4:59 am
  29. I’d be happy to help with taking those off your hands. :)

Posted by culinography | March 5, 2008, 5:25 am
  30. hey–they look good to me! i’m with you on twix and PB cups (also love kit-kat)being favorites! don’t know if you made your own manjar, but i made my own DDL from sweetened condensed milk using the boil-in-the-can method. i boiled mine for 3 hours, which i knew would give me a firm caramel. i think doing it 2 hours gives you a sauce-like caramel.

Posted by steph- whisk/spoon | March 5, 2008, 8:56 am
  31. Whoa! Those look so deliciously decadent! Nice pictures that really bring out the ingredients!

Posted by JennDZ - The Leftover Queen | March 5, 2008, 11:35 am
  32. Who cares if the caramel is a little soft! It looks fabulous! The gooier the better, I always say. :D

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | March 5, 2008, 4:52 pm
  33. These look so delicious! I’ve had this bookmarked in BFMHTY to try — at least I’ll be prepared for some gooey dulce de leche. :)

Posted by Amy | March 5, 2008, 6:03 pm
  34. mine was a little gooey too but i thought that was b/c i had not cooked my dulce long enough? either way it was still tasty in my opinion! yours look fantastic!

Posted by Jaime | March 5, 2008, 8:57 pm
  35. OMG – I really, really want to try these. My tongue has just hit the floor – caramel, nuts and chocolate in one – oh, too much to bear!

Posted by Cakelaw | March 5, 2008, 11:29 pm
  36. Michelle – That is funny! Oops!Engineer Baker – Yes, I think it must be cooked down, way down!Bronwyn – I think the British version I made did in fact cook the caramel with the shortbread. And yes, it was a mixture of a few things which helped that one thicken up. I am sure that filling would be delicious here.Leafy Bombshell – Good idea.Sweet & Savory – Definitely. “Just testing recipes.” Right? ;)Aran – Thanks, they were yummy & gooey!Noskos – Great idea, I will see how to get the manjar thicker here.Rosa – Thanks!Michelle – I already pawned them off on a friend! Sorry!Steph – Ah, kit-kat…I liked that too!! Good to know your method.Jenn – Thanks!SGCC – Thanks! Amy – Great to hear you want to make them. And what is BFMHTY?Jaime – Yes, I think the longer cooked, the firmer it comes out.Cakelaw – You should try them, they are rich & delicious!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 6, 2008, 8:00 am
  37. Looks totally scrumptious. I’ve always been a Snickers fan, so I”m all over this one!

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | March 6, 2008, 4:21 pm
  38. These look delicious! I enjoyed them, but they were definitely very gooey! I love Twix too…maybe there’s a bar cookie variation we can try on that? =)

Posted by Erin | March 6, 2008, 10:38 pm
  39. Your snickery squares look so delicious! Everywhere I look around the twd-blogroll I see fantastic snickery squares!

Posted by Claudia | March 10, 2008, 6:20 am
  40. Lynn – This was delicious! You will love it!Erin – Ooohhh….let’s! I love twix and it would be incredible as an entire dessert!Claudia – Thanks!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | March 12, 2008, 8:05 am