Bill’s Big Carrot Cake [TWD]

1. dobetter says:

All of these carrot cakes look yummy! I love how you made two small cakes. What size pan did you use? They look like a perfect size.

2. Vicarious Foodie says:

I love carrot cake!I’ve tagged you for the six-word memoir, by the way. If you’d like to play along, the rules are on my blog. :)

3. CB says:

Love the mini-cake! Great job!Clara @ I♥food4thought

4. Dolores says:

Oooh… buttermilk carrot cake. If you find a recipe let me know!And I think you’re doing just fine in the cake decorating department. Your little cake is beautiful!

5. Melissa says:

Buttermilk carrot cake sounds great! Beautiful mini cake!

6. Engineer Baker says:

What are you talking about?!? Your frosting job looks awesome, and your mini cakes are adorable!

7. Gigi says:

I am loving the exposed layers! Your little big cake is too cute. Well done!

8. Erin says:

I love your mini cakes! You did a great job. I’d like to be better at cake decorating too, and I’m going to take a cake decorating class this summer!

9. Mary says:

mini is so much fun! yours look great !

10. LyB says:

With a cake this good, it doesn’t need any decoration, it gets gobbled up too fast! You cakes look adorable! :)

11. slush says:

Constant learner here too. Thats always a good thing. Your cake is gorgeous, great job babe!

12. Tammy says:

Your cake looks gorgeous! Mine is going to be posted tomorrow as I am making it tonight – better late than never!

13. Jaime says:

your cake looks great! though i’m with you – i am still very much learning how to decorate cakes! it doesn’t matter though…because in the end, as long as it tastes good, right? :)definitely give the pastry queen recipe a try!

Karen – The cakes were a great size. I used ramekins which nicely fit a cup with room at the top. I used 3/4 cups of better in each but would do 1/2 cup next time.Vicarious Foodie – Thanks! I will see to it soon!Engineer Baker – Thanks for your kind words!

15. Rebecca says:

I’m with you on the decorating. I’ve always taken the side of flavor, because it gets left out of so many pretty-but-bland commercial baked goods. But lately I’ve been thinking it’s time to raise the game in decorating. I’m here to cheer you on!

16. steph- whisk/spoon says:

baby cakes are adorable! one of the many great things about carrot cakes is that minimal decoration is fine…they are supposed to look deliciously homemade!

17. Anne says:

Mini cakes were a great idea- it looks wonderful! Great job!

18. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

A good carrot cake is truly a thing of beauty! I think yours came out lovely. It is one of my fave cakes. I’ve never tried Dorie’s recipe, but I’m sure it is great!

19. CupcakeLady says:

Your cake looks delicious. I will have to try a daring bakers challenge one of these days!

20. ostwestwind says:

I love your cake it looks lovely. I think this was one of the easiest baking until now!Ulrike from Küchenlatein

21. Claudia says:

Great job! For me the small cakes are much better – you can even take them with you to work.

22. Aran says:

Nothing beats a good carrot cake in my book and you did such a fabulous job!

23. Mevrouw Cupcake says:

Gretchen, I think your cake is pretty as a picture!

24. Cakelaw says:

This cake looks lovely – I think that simple decoration is just fine. A large slice please – I am a fan of carrot cake!

25. Carrie says:

I think decorating is tough for a lot of people, frosting can be a fickle fellow! ;)I frosted mine the same as you, just kind put it on there and sprinkled some stuff over top, nothing wrong with that at all!

26. Sarah says:

It’s a baby cake! I didn’t even realize until I saw it next to the fork. Looks adorable & delicious! I’m with you on the cake decorating…I just slap on some frosting & go! And I’m ok with that right now. :)

27. Shari says:

I love the mini cakes people are doing. Looks great!

28. Sarah says:

Your cake looks great! You have nothing to worry about with the decorating! Good job!

29. Katrina says:

The looks great! It almost looks like a full sized cake with quite tall layers in the first picture, then I saw it with the fork. So cute!

30. Christina says:

Beautiful! I’m beginning to like mini cakes more than the larger size. As for decorating, just make a batch of regular buttercream and pipe decorations out on a sheet of wax paper. When I first started messing around with it, I needed to work on control and just piping helped me out.

31. Rebecca says:

yummy!! I really needed a good carrot cake recipe. It looks delish. I liked your post, too! We are all learing our own lesson, right!?

32. Amy says:

I love your idea of using ramekins for the cakes, then splitting them — I may try this next time I make a cake. Your cake looks just adorable (and delicious!) I love that cream cheese frosting; I’ve made it before.PS – I gave you a (well-deserved) award! Stop by my blog to check it out. :)

33. Cookie baker Lynn says:

Your carrot cake looks just right. I’d certainly take a piece!Yes, with your eyes and ears open, the learning never stops.

34. Lori says:

Nice pics. Looks great.Smart people know that they don’t know. Isnt that so true!

35. Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats says:

Lovely cake. It looks very luscious. How interesting that you have moved to Peru – I always enjoy your Peru origin recipes as well.

36. Jayne says:

Your little cake looks great! And I agree about the frosting – it’s not enough.

37. mimi says:

these little cakes look great, your decorating is beautiful! one day later and i’m still drooling over all these carrot cake photos!

38. Jenny says:

Last time I made this cake, that is how I decorated mine. Your cakes look lovely, so cute in mini and with a generous icing, just how I like them.

39. Kevin says:

That layered carrot cake looks so good!

40. kim says:

i am definitely a learner too! :) i think your mini-cake looks great! even if there aren’t any little piped carrots or whatnot, i don’t think this cake needs it… looks great as you’ve done it, and even by itself is such a lovely color/texture :)

41. Tartelette says:

Beautiful job! I am thinking you could easily do the amount of oil in half oil and half buttermilk. You would keep fat and moisture and get some tang from the taste.Your cake is making me hungry!!

42. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

Carrot cake is one of my very favorites (the other being German Chocolate).Your cake here looks divine and so mositly good!Wish I had a piece.

43. Donna says:

Your cake looks lovely! Don’t sell yourself short! I think you did an awesome job of decorating it. Bravo!

44. Liliana says:

You did a great job on your cake. It looks wonderful!

45. Cecilia says:

I thought your cakes came out nicely and came out nicely. Did you make mini cakes? I’m fast becoming a fan of mini cakes.If you don’t mind me asking, what brought you to Peru?Just so you know, Kristi Yamaguchi is doing flawlessly on Dancing with the Stars.

46. MrsBethorama says:

I love your mini cakes and think they are fabulously decorated!

47. Zakia / The Frosted Bake Shop says:

your cakes look perfect! i love the idea of mini cakes.

1. December 8, 2012

[…] Surprises like when guests bite into a slice of cake and then I tell them that it has zucchini, carrots, or even […]