Beverages

Jugo de Cocona // Cocona Juice

Fruit juice is a refreshing treat in Peru, and the best part is that so many of the fruits here are made into juice. Cocona juice is commonly served in the jungle of Peru, but I make it quite often when the cocona is available here in the stores. It has a unique flavor, one certainly worth trying!
Cocona Juice

Cocona Juice

Ingredients

4 cocona fruits
1 cup of sugar

Preparation

1. Place 4 cocona fruits in a pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and allow them to simmer until the color changes from yellow to slightly brown, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.

2. Remove stems and place the entire fruit in the blender and puree. Strain the pureed cocona to remove the seeds and the peel. Place the strained, pureed cocona into a 2 liter pitcher and stir in 1 cup of sugar. Fill with water to reach 2 liters, stirring to combine well. Chill and serve.

Yield: 8 cups

22 Responses to “Jugo de Cocona // Cocona Juice”

1. Thank you so much for this post. I can’t tell you how much I envy your situation, having a kitchen in the middle of what’s arguably the world’s greatest food pantry. I had Cocona juice two years ago in the Iquitos area and it was a revelation! I can’t wait until this summer, when I’ll be in Peru and will be able to have some again. Okay, here’s an offbeat question for you: are you familiar with Pepian? The most common type is Pepian de Choclo, but I once had a Pepian de Garbanzo in Lambayeque. Apparently it’s a regional variation. But it was outstanding and I’ve been dying to make it at home. You wouldn’t happen to have a recipe for it would you? Thanks!Don

Posted by Don Ball | May 16, 2008, 9:56 am
  2. Don, I have worked on the pepian de choclo recipe a few times without deciding on a final version. The pepian de garbanzo, I have not tried. I think I have a recipe in one of the cookbooks I have here, you are welcome to email me and I can try to get that typed up for you. I am not as familiar with the cuisine of the north as I am with others.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | May 16, 2008, 10:11 am
  3. Very interesting! I’ve never seen or heard of this type of fruit.

Posted by Kalyn | May 16, 2008, 10:12 am
  4. Is it similar to a persimmon? It sort of looks like one.

Posted by Julie | May 16, 2008, 11:19 am
  5. Julie, Good question. That was what I had thought for a while. But, based on their scientific families they are different. Cocona comes from the Solanaceae family (nightshade family includes potatoes, eggplant, tomato, capsicum) and the persimmon from the Diospyros family. The cocona grows on a plant or shrub and the persimmon on a tree. I admit the cocona looks like the Hayicha persimmon, but I don’t think they are the same thing.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | May 16, 2008, 11:51 am
  6. Gretchen, I always learn something new whenever I read your blog! This definitely sounds intriguing and I’ll be on the lookout for coconas.

Posted by Christina | May 16, 2008, 12:19 pm
  7. Hi Gretchen, I am truly fascinated with this post and the other food items. Wonderful site.

Posted by Kim | May 16, 2008, 3:41 pm
  8. Thank you for this interesting post, I’ve never heard of this fruit before.

Posted by Hygeian Stew | May 16, 2008, 5:25 pm
  9. What an interesting post! I have never heard of a cocona before. Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance to an eggplant or tomato.

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | May 16, 2008, 6:11 pm
  10. I have never heard of this fruit. It looks amazing though!! Great Job!

Posted by Lindsey | May 16, 2008, 7:43 pm
  11. Gretchen that looks really beautiful. I would love to try this. I always wonder when I’ve not seen or heard of something when I go to look will I find it’s always been there or will I not be able to find it at all.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | May 16, 2008, 8:34 pm
  12. how interesting!

Posted by Jaime | May 16, 2008, 11:09 pm
  13. This looks really interesting Gretechn – is a conona like a persimmon?

Posted by Cakelaw | May 17, 2008, 2:54 am
  14. I’ve never seen those before, how interesting :)

Posted by culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess | May 17, 2008, 10:53 am
  15. Most importantly, what does it TASTE like?

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008, 1:24 pm
  16. I have never seen a cocona before. It sounds really interesting!

Posted by Kevin | May 17, 2008, 3:17 pm
  17. How would you describe the taste? I once worked with a guy who kept talking about them but I never tried them. I love that despite our actions to mess it up, nature is still a giant food pantry :)

Posted by Tartelette | May 17, 2008, 3:37 pm
  18. There are so many interesting, naturaly foods in the world…. We get such a small sampling here.I need to travel more.Very interesting post!

Posted by katiez | May 18, 2008, 3:02 pm
  19. We call this fruit naranjilla in Ecuador, it also known as lulo in Colombia. I can find them frozen whole or frozen pulp here in the US,it would be awesome if these become popular and we could actually get fresh ones.

Posted by Layla | May 19, 2008, 12:05 am
  20. I have absolutely never seen one of these before! I will have to try one if I see one somewhere.

Posted by bbaking | May 19, 2008, 7:28 am
  21. This is all new to me. Thanks :)Came from WHB roundup.

Posted by tigerfish | May 20, 2008, 3:20 am
  22. I’ve never seen or heard about this fruit before, but it sounds very interesting. Would love to know what it tastes like. Is it similar to any other fruit?

Posted by Y | May 20, 2008, 9:11 pm