Jugo de Cocona // Cocona Juice

1. Don Ball says:

Thank you so much for this post. I can’t tell you how much I envy your situation, having a kitchen in the middle of what’s arguably the world’s greatest food pantry. I had Cocona juice two years ago in the Iquitos area and it was a revelation! I can’t wait until this summer, when I’ll be in Peru and will be able to have some again. Okay, here’s an offbeat question for you: are you familiar with Pepian? The most common type is Pepian de Choclo, but I once had a Pepian de Garbanzo in Lambayeque. Apparently it’s a regional variation. But it was outstanding and I’ve been dying to make it at home. You wouldn’t happen to have a recipe for it would you? Thanks!Don

Don, I have worked on the pepian de choclo recipe a few times without deciding on a final version. The pepian de garbanzo, I have not tried. I think I have a recipe in one of the cookbooks I have here, you are welcome to email me and I can try to get that typed up for you. I am not as familiar with the cuisine of the north as I am with others.

3. Kalyn says:

Very interesting! I’ve never seen or heard of this type of fruit.

4. Julie says:

Is it similar to a persimmon? It sort of looks like one.

Julie, Good question. That was what I had thought for a while. But, based on their scientific families they are different. Cocona comes from the Solanaceae family (nightshade family includes potatoes, eggplant, tomato, capsicum) and the persimmon from the Diospyros family. The cocona grows on a plant or shrub and the persimmon on a tree. I admit the cocona looks like the Hayicha persimmon, but I don’t think they are the same thing.

6. Christina says:

Gretchen, I always learn something new whenever I read your blog! This definitely sounds intriguing and I’ll be on the lookout for coconas.

7. Kim says:

Hi Gretchen, I am truly fascinated with this post and the other food items. Wonderful site.

8. Hygeian Stew says:

Thank you for this interesting post, I’ve never heard of this fruit before.

9. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

What an interesting post! I have never heard of a cocona before. Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance to an eggplant or tomato.

10. Lindsey says:

I have never heard of this fruit. It looks amazing though!! Great Job!

11. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

Gretchen that looks really beautiful. I would love to try this. I always wonder when I’ve not seen or heard of something when I go to look will I find it’s always been there or will I not be able to find it at all.

12. Jaime says:

how interesting!

13. Cakelaw says:

This looks really interesting Gretechn – is a conona like a persimmon?

14. culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess says:

I’ve never seen those before, how interesting :)

15. Anonymous says:

Most importantly, what does it TASTE like?

16. Kevin says:

I have never seen a cocona before. It sounds really interesting!

17. Tartelette says:

How would you describe the taste? I once worked with a guy who kept talking about them but I never tried them. I love that despite our actions to mess it up, nature is still a giant food pantry :)

18. katiez says:

There are so many interesting, naturaly foods in the world…. We get such a small sampling here.I need to travel more.Very interesting post!

19. Layla says:

We call this fruit naranjilla in Ecuador, it also known as lulo in Colombia. I can find them frozen whole or frozen pulp here in the US,it would be awesome if these become popular and we could actually get fresh ones.

20. bbaking says:

I have absolutely never seen one of these before! I will have to try one if I see one somewhere.

21. tigerfish says:

This is all new to me. Thanks :)Came from WHB roundup.

22. Y says:

I’ve never seen or heard about this fruit before, but it sounds very interesting. Would love to know what it tastes like. Is it similar to any other fruit?