Markets

Market Mornings #1

One of the things that fascinates me here are the markets. I wish I could spend hour after hour walking through and visiting the many booths, seeing what they are selling. I am in awe of the people and how much work they do to sell their wares.

I wish you could walk along beside me as I visit the markets in the mountains and in the jungle…even markets here in Lima! Since you cannot, I hope to bring you photos of the people and their products.

Abarrotes in Huamachuco, La Libertad

Huamachuco sits high in the mountains and is one of the largest cities for people hours away. Most markets here in Peru have a “beans and rice” section where bags are displayed of things such as split peas, pigeon peas, lentils, black beans, quinoa, dried fava beans and on and on. You buy by weight and must clean and sort everything before cooking it.

What the bulk section like in your store?

15 Responses to “Market Mornings #1”

1. I love this idea, Gretchen! Can’t wait to see the Peruvian markets through your “eyes.” There are few things more beautiful that bags of multicolored dried beans and grains…the above is no exception!

Posted by Amy | May 17, 2008, 8:07 am
  2. Oh, wonderful! One of my favorite things is to see markets in different parts of the world! More, please! (Gretchen since we are on flickr together-did you know that there is a GROUP that is ALL market photos, just like this one?! I just joined.)

Posted by Rebecca | May 17, 2008, 8:11 am
  3. I wish my bulk section looked this good! What fun! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | May 17, 2008, 8:14 am
  4. Bulk doesn’t look that good here for sure! Great idea Gretchen!

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | May 17, 2008, 9:04 am
  5. Beautiful! Don’t you just love the markets, I would go in Italy and just revel in the multitude of choices and ideas would flow like water….unfortunately the money didn’t flow as easily :)Carrie

Posted by C.L. | May 17, 2008, 10:15 am
  6. I can only dream to have this much variety on hand at our farmers markets Gretchen:D

Posted by Bellini Valli | May 17, 2008, 11:28 am
  7. Wherever we travel, I always go to the local markets. This photo reminds of the markets in Mexico that I love so much.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | May 17, 2008, 8:41 pm
  8. I can definitely say that there is nothing like this here! Most markets don’t even sell in bulk, so this is quite interesting.I have nominated you for an award here:http://kitchenlaw.blogspot.com/2008/05/putting-up-plum-jam.html

Posted by Cakelaw | May 18, 2008, 5:20 am
  9. Oh wow, I would love to see something like that! I’m fascinated by markets, too. Keep the pictures coming!I love your blog!

Posted by Cheryl | May 18, 2008, 8:21 am
  10. Great market – I could spend hours there!

Posted by nicisme | May 18, 2008, 10:48 am
  11. I love visiting the local food markets when I visit places. What a lovely selection of goodies in the photo.

Posted by culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess | May 18, 2008, 11:24 am
  12. wooooowwwwwwwwwwwww

Posted by Aran | May 18, 2008, 12:47 pm
  13. That is so cool! Love all the choices. We have a few really good markets here in Atlanta that we frequent. Sharona May

Posted by Sharona May | May 18, 2008, 5:05 pm
  14. I love pictures of the markets from around the world! In fact, I had a plan to visit Azerbaijan this summer and take tons of pictures of the markers there, but my plans changed and I am not going:( But my friends there promised to take a tour for me and take some shots:) I may be posting them once they get back to me, if they don’t procrastinate:)And I would love to see more from Peruvian markets! Great idea!

Posted by farida | May 19, 2008, 6:22 pm
  15. what a wonderful experience. wish i could join you on one of your market mornings! :)

Posted by Jaime | May 20, 2008, 8:31 pm