Peanut Butter Munchies

Peanut Butter Munchies

Almost two weeks ago, I sent a batch of cookies with a friend to share with his family. I got the report back that they absolutely loved them! I got to thinking that most people here in Peru don’t generally eat homemade cookies. They enjoy packaged sweets like Oreos, chips ahoy, vanilla cookies, and so many others. But moms don’t have a plate of warm cookies and a tall glass of milk waiting for their kids when they get home from school.

For my friends’ birthday last week, I thought about making and baking a cake to take. But, the bus ride is long, I am not always assured to have a seat and the temperature is uncontrollable. Cakes can topple, melt, slide and generally arrive destroyed! Instead, I decided to make a variety of cookies to share as the birthday dessert.

I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies, honey pecan snaps, and these peanut butter munchies. I must say that the entire time I was preparing the peanut butter munchies, I kept saying to myself, “this is the first and last time I make these.” Why? I felt like there was a lot of handling of the doughs and they were time-consuming to prepare. I just didn’t feel as though they would be worth it.

I was proved wrong when they were the coveted cookie after lunch was over. I was asked to make them again the next day for another friend’s family. I was asked to make them so a little girl could take them to school and sell them. I suppose that was the first time to make them and not the last. These were excellent cookies when you want one that will impress!

Peanut Butter Munchies

• 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup of peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar

Preparation

1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and baking soda; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of peanut butter; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla, beat well. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Form chocolate dough into 32 balls each about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Set aside.
  3. For the filling, combine the powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of peanut butter in a medium bowl; beat until smooth (knead by hand if necessary). Shape mixture into 32 balls.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350F. On a work surface, slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball; top with a peanut butter filling ball. Shape the chocolate dough around the peanut butter filling, completely covering the filling. Roll dough into a ball. Repeat.
  5. Arrange cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly flatten with bottom of a glass dipped in the 2 tablespoons of sugar. (I found it easier to dip the ball in the sugar and then press down with the glass.)
  6. Bake cookies about 8 minutes or just until set and surfaces are slightly cracked. Let cookies cool on a cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

1. Vicarious Foodie says:

Uh oh–“a lot of handling of the doughs” doesn’t sound like something I could handle. These look so good though! Wish I could try one.

2. Ann says:

Ooh… these look to die for!

3. My Sweet & Saucy says:

These cookies look great! I love the surprise peanut butter middle!

4. My Sweet & Saucy says:

These cookies look great! I love the surprise peanut butter middle!

5. emiglia says:

I’ve never been as into peanut butter as I have been after I left the states. I had my mom bring me some because the stuff here just isn’t up to snuff. These peanut butter cookies look awesome!

6. Dana McCauley says:

How interesting that baking cookies isn’t popular in Peru. Is that because cookies aren’t a big part of their food heritage?

7. dobetter says:

Yum! I love the peanut butter sneaking in the chocolate. Your friend must have loved them!

Dana, I think that most do not have ovens. When there are community ovens, they may bake an occasional cake but the process of making cookies is way more involved in terms of the baking process. Cookies really are not something they have been brought up on.

9. Erin says:

These look wonderful! I love anything with peanut butter. I bet they were the perfect birthday treat! I love reading about the things you find out about the culture and customs in Peru; it’s so interesting.

10. Susan from Food Blogga says:

How come I never get b-day gifts as delicious as this? And PB is my fave!

11. jasmine says:

These look amazing…I need to do some thank you baking…these might be them…j

12. RecipeGirl says:

Peanut butter munchies sound like something we would most enjoy!

13. farida says:

I read the title of your post aloud while my daughter was playing nearby. needless to say, she overheard and screamed ‘mom, let’s make it”. that’s what peanut butter makes to her:)) great recipe! I should make these for my daughter one day.

14. Tarah says:

I made those same exact cookies! I thought the same things when I decided to make these not to long ago. I was thinking “Jeez.. this is annoying,” as I’m forming the balls. It took a lot of patients and time (which I totally don’t have).But, in the end, it was worth it.And your look like they came out wonderfully!

15. mimi says:

i just had to click and see what the surprise was! these cookies look absolutely too yummy for their own good!

16. diva@theSugarBar says:

these are like the ultimate peanut butter cookies. they look fantastic! love the outside and inside concept.

17. culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess says:

Oh my they look fabulous 🙂

18. Deborah says:

I have been on a total cookie kick lately – and these look delicious!

19. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

Well, if this puddle of drool in front of me is any indication, they must be good.

20. Cookie baker Lynn says:

I, too, shy away from cookies that require lots of handling, but often they’re the best ones. Yours are definitely keepers! I must add this recipe to my file.

21. Brilynn says:

Those do sound like a lot of work compared to drop cookies, but they look well worth it!

22. Christine says:

Yum Peanut Butter Munchies! The middle looks great!

23. Anonymous says:

I’ve made these a few times and they are always a big hit. I don’t bother with flattening them or the sugar on the outside, though… hasn’t kept everyone from totally loving them.The thing is that they’re actually easy, but the ball step just takes up a lot of time.- Camille

24. chou says:

This is the second filled cookie I’ve seen today and I feel inspired.

25. Dana says:

Cookies always travel well — good choice. And these look FAB.

26. amada says:

You are RIGHT! Baking homemade cookies just isn’t in style here… 🙂 Every time I’ve baked cookies, everyone just drools over them, and it’s not because I’m such a great cook (although my husband aspires for me to be ;). I LOVE peanut butter, and this recipe calls for just the right amount… it’s spendy here! I don’t know about a recipe that requires a lot of handling dough though, I don’t know if they’d ever make it to the cookie sheet! 🙂 Where in Peru are you?We’re in Trujillo. It seems like you left me a comment on my blog, and I was gone at the time, so I’m going to go look it up.Thanks for sharing this recipe. I don’t know how you come up with so many delicious ones!AmyTrujillo, Peruhomeschoolblogger.com/amada

27. Aparna says:

I have been reading your blog for sometime but could never leave comments till now (a memory problem on my PC which has been taken care of).I (and my daughter) love peanut butter so these munchies are just what we would love. Shall try them out.

28. Amy says:

PB and chocolate – a match made in heaven! These look so delicious, I’m definitely going to try them! 🙂

29. Jaime says:

a lot of work, but they are so cute!