Bread

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls

Sweet Potato Cinnamon RollsBreakfast is an important meal, everyone says so. Too often we are in a rush cannot truly enjoy a decent, balanced breakfast. On the weekends, I find myself taking more time to prepare something to enjoy late morning to savor, to enjoy and to not simply rush through.

In my mind, I had wanted to make cinnamon rolls with sweet potato because, very simply, I love sweet potato! I always cook up extras when I am including sweet potato in a meal with hopes that those extras will be baked into something delicious. This particular weekend, I decided to make a batch of sweet potato cinnamon rolls. I was thrilled with how the dough came together, the filling wasn’t overwhelming and they had filled the pan without any space to spare.

Then, I had to go to a meeting. I asked a friend to turn them off in exactly ten minutes. Leave them in the oven, no problem, just turn them off. Yeah…an hour later the oven was turned off and the orange colored cinnamon rolls had turned into hard, charred brown rocks. Yuck! Of course, I still had them in my mind and had more sweet potato. So, the very next day I baked up another batch. I watched them carefully and didn’t allow anyone else to babysit my baking that day.

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls

Yield: Makes 12 rolls

Source: Adapted from Southern Living

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon of instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup of warm water (100F to 110F)
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • cooking spray
  • Filling
  • 1/4 cup of melted butter
  • 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon

Preparation

1. Combine yeast, water and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a large bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until yeast is dissolved and allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
  2. Add 1/2 cup of flour and mix for 2 minutes. Add mashed sweet potatoes, egg, yogurt, sugar and butter mixing until combined. Add orange rind, salt, baking soda and remaining flour, 1 cup at a time. Stir with a wooden spoon or with your hands until the dough forms. Knead gently, if needed, to bring the dough together.
  3. Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover loosely, and let rise in a warm place (85F), free from drafts, about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
  4. FILLING: In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 10- x 18-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with Filling, leaving a 1-inch border. Roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, starting at 1 long side. Cut into 12 slices, and arrange in a lightly greased 15 x 10 inch baking pan. Cover loosely, and let rise in a warm place (85F), free from drafts, for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400F.
  6. Bake rolls at 400F for 17-20 minutes until lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Remove rolls from oven, and invert onto a baking sheet. Invert again, onto a cooling rack or a serving platter. Let cool 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls are being served up for Bread Baking Day – Breakfast Breads. Bread Baking Day was started by Zorra and this month is being hosted by Melissa at Baking a Sweet life.

29 Responses to “Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls”

1. Clever! I’ve used sweet potato and pumpkin in quick breads but never in a yeast dough. This is a very good idea that I plan to try.Thanks!

Posted by Dana McCauley | May 22, 2008, 8:54 am
  2. Love those cinnamon roll kind of mornings. Beautiful.

Posted by rainbowbrown | May 22, 2008, 10:13 am
  3. They look awesome Gretchen! I often want to me cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but by the time they are done proofing, its lunchtime, which always makes me turn to a muffin or coffeecake first.

Posted by slush | May 22, 2008, 10:19 am
  4. WOW!! They look great and the recipe sounds wonderful! I’m glad I found your blog!

Posted by pearlsandchocolate.com | May 22, 2008, 11:05 am
  5. Wow, so delicious :)

Posted by culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess | May 22, 2008, 12:40 pm
  6. Oh, wow! Sweet potatoes are baked into cinnamon bread? That’s a slice of heaven, I tell you.

Posted by Susan from Food Blogga | May 22, 2008, 3:04 pm
  7. Those sound so good! I don’t think about using sweet potatoes enough, really.

Posted by Hannah | May 22, 2008, 4:21 pm
  8. Those look so good! Just look at the thick swirls of cinnamon. I really like the sound of using the sweet potatoes!

Posted by Kevin | May 22, 2008, 7:35 pm
  9. Mmmm… they look delicious! Are you making next week’s TWD challenge? Cause it’s pretty similar.

Posted by Isa | May 22, 2008, 9:55 pm
  10. What a great combination — I never think to use sweet potato in baking, except to make pie. Will definitely try these.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | May 22, 2008, 10:11 pm
  11. What a great idea! I would have never thought to use sweet potato in a cinnamon roll. They look just wonderful!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | May 22, 2008, 11:45 pm
  12. Oh wow! I’ve never even thought to make sweet potato cinnamon rolls. There’s a pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe I’ve been eyeing for a while though. These look delicious!

Posted by eatme_delicious | May 22, 2008, 11:55 pm
  13. Yum! I’ll be trying these!!!

Posted by ~Kimberly | May 23, 2008, 2:12 am
  14. I have seen a pumpkin version of these…of course they would excellent plain but just add a cream cheese icing for a less calorie wise version and I am in heaven:D

Posted by Bellini Valli | May 23, 2008, 8:58 am
  15. Such a great idea! I just learned that sweet potatoes are great for people with hypoglycemia – of which I am one! Will add your recipe to my must do listErika

Posted by Erika (SWEET PEA) | May 23, 2008, 9:11 am
  16. Oooh, the frustration of leaving a baked good in someone else’s care! Good for you for whipping up another batch. They look wonderful.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | May 23, 2008, 9:15 am
  17. I have never had sweet potato cinnamon rolls, although I have bookmarked many recipes for them! These look delicious – I’m glad you made another batch!

Posted by Deborah | May 23, 2008, 10:12 am
  18. What a great recipe! I recently tried a sweet potato cheesecake…sweet potato is great for anything!

Posted by Hillary | May 23, 2008, 2:27 pm
  19. That sounds like a wonderful combination! I feel like buying some sweet potatoes now, just to throw into something.

Posted by Garrett | May 23, 2008, 7:04 pm
  20. When I first saw the title I though the sweet potatoes were in the filling — how unusual and delicious to put them in the dough.

Posted by Susan/Wild Yeast | May 24, 2008, 12:07 am
  21. You’re killing me with those photos…that is just plain torture!

Posted by My Sweet & Saucy | May 24, 2008, 1:29 am
  22. You’re killing me with those photos…that is just plain torture!

Posted by My Sweet & Saucy | May 24, 2008, 1:29 am
  23. Cinnamon rolls are my favorite sinful breakfast item… but I have never tried them with sweet potatoes. I bet they are tender (like potato bread) and sweet… yum Gretchen!

Posted by Aran | May 24, 2008, 5:14 am
  24. I LOVE sweet potatoes. I used to eat sweet potato baby food until I was 7 years old because I couldn’t get enough of the stuff. So I naturally think that this recipe sounds AMAZING! The rolls look great, and I’ll have to try out this recipe in the near, near future.

Posted by Cecilia | May 24, 2008, 11:38 am
  25. Why do we have so many stories about turning off an oven?!! So glad you were able to redo these. They look fabulous. Sweet potatoes in bread do change everything. I’ve only tried it a few times but the results were excellent.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | May 24, 2008, 3:02 pm
  26. So very yum.My husband would love these!

Posted by Janna | May 24, 2008, 4:23 pm
  27. These look so good – you’d never guess that they contained sweet potato by looking at them. I’ll have these for brekky any day.

Posted by Cakelaw | May 25, 2008, 6:54 am
  28. This reminds me of sweet potato casserole tat has cinnamon in it. Sweet potato and cinnamon naturally go well with each other so I can already imagine how this tastes

Posted by Jude | June 4, 2008, 9:53 pm
  29. Great idea to use sweet potato. Your rolls look delicious. And yes, breakfast ist the most important meal of the day. :-)

Posted by zorra | June 7, 2008, 2:27 am