Breakfast is an important meal, everyone says so. Too often we are in a rush cannot truly enjoy a decent, balanced breakfast. On the weekends, I find myself taking more time to prepare something to enjoy late morning to savor, to enjoy and to not simply rush through.
In my mind, I had wanted to make cinnamon rolls with sweet potato because, very simply, I love sweet potato! I always cook up extras when I am including sweet potato in a meal with hopes that those extras will be baked into something delicious. This particular weekend, I decided to make a batch of sweet potato cinnamon rolls. I was thrilled with how the dough came together, the filling wasn’t overwhelming and they had filled the pan without any space to spare.
Then, I had to go to a meeting. I asked a friend to turn them off in exactly ten minutes. Leave them in the oven, no problem, just turn them off. Yeah…an hour later the oven was turned off and the orange colored cinnamon rolls had turned into hard, charred brown rocks. Yuck! Of course, I still had them in my mind and had more sweet potato. So, the very next day I baked up another batch. I watched them carefully and didn’t allow anyone else to babysit my baking that day.
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 tablespoon of instant yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm water (100F to 110F)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 1/2 cups of flour, divided
- 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of drinkable plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of powdered orange rind or orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- Combine yeast, water and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a large bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until yeast is dissolved and allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour and mix for 2 minutes. Add mashed sweet potatoes, egg, yogurt, sugar and butter mixing until combined. Add orange rind, salt, baking soda and remaining flour, 1 cup at a time. Stir with a wooden spoon or with your hands until the dough forms. Knead gently, if needed, to bring the dough together.
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover loosely, and let rise in a warm place (85F), free from drafts, about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 10- x 18-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with Filling, leaving a 1-inch border. Roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, starting at 1 long side. Cut into 12 slices, and arrange in a lightly greased 15 x 10 inch baking pan. Cover loosely, and let rise in a warm place (85F), free from drafts, for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake rolls at 400F for 17-20 minutes until lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove rolls from oven, and invert onto a baking sheet. Invert again, onto a cooling rack or a serving platter. Let cool 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Â© 2011-2013 Provecho Peru. All Rights Reserved.
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls are being served up for Bread Baking Day – Breakfast Breads. Bread Baking Day was started by Zorra and this month is being hosted by Melissa at Baking a Sweet life.