Grains

Butternut Squash Risotto

This risotto includes pureed butternut squash, which I was lucky enough to find at the supermarket. Butternut squash is an excellent addition to winter foods with it qualifying as one of the World’s Healthiest Foods. Another winter squash such as pumpkin or zapallo loche could also be substituted.

butternut squash risottoButternut Squash Risotto

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of roasted butternut squash puree (or other winter squash)
2 tablespoon of butter, divided
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice
3/4 cup of dry white wine
3 cups of vegetable broth, kept hot
3/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Pinch of nutmeg

Preparation

1. Heat the 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add rice while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook for 2 more minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring often, until the wine nearly evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding the broth in 3/4 cup increments and stirring often until the rice is creamy (not soupy) and soft but still al dente, about 25 minutes.
    2. Remove from the heat and add the roasted squash, cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter; stirring vigorously until butter melts. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt and nutmeg to taste. Serve immediately.

Yield: Serves 4
Source: Adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Cooking

25 Responses to “Butternut Squash Risotto”

1. This is my favourite risotto think. I originally tried it at a spa and had to go home and make it:D

Posted by Bellini Valli | June 15, 2008, 10:03 am
  2. One of my favourite risottos!

Posted by nicisme | June 15, 2008, 10:06 am
  3. I love butternut squash, so this looks fabulous to me. Would you believe, I’ve never made risotto. Nowdays, it’s because that type of rice is so not South Beach friendly, but I don’t know why I never made it before I was eating this way. I did used to eat it a lot. (I would definitely eat some of yours if I had a chance!)

Posted by Kalyn | June 15, 2008, 11:43 am
  4. This is always welcome to my table. I love risottos and butternut is a favorite. Only in the last few years have I made them at home. When I decided that a dish that every Italian housewife made using what was available could not be so hard to do, I’ve had success after success.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | June 15, 2008, 11:50 am
  5. One of my very favorite winter dishes! Your risotto looks really appealing!

Posted by Ann | June 15, 2008, 1:16 pm
  6. This looks delicious! I discovered this past December that I really like butternut squash, so I’ll have to give this a try!

Posted by Erin | June 15, 2008, 2:27 pm
  7. wow..that looks great!!!Thanks for visiting my site! As for the banana bread..chocolate chips would be a great addition! I have a post on my blog for banana chocolate marble cake that is to die for! Check it out!

Posted by Leslie | June 15, 2008, 2:45 pm
  8. Your risotto is such a happy color – you know it’s going to taste good and be good for you, too.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | June 15, 2008, 7:01 pm
  9. I love butternut squash. Unfortunately, no one else in my family will eat it. :( Your risotto looks perfectly delicious, though. I’m sure I would enjoy it!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | June 15, 2008, 8:07 pm
  10. That looks so delicious…a perfect homey meal!

Posted by My Sweet & Saucy | June 15, 2008, 10:36 pm
  11. Yummm. Looks like something my whole family would enjoy. Gotta try this one!

Posted by dobetter | June 15, 2008, 11:26 pm
  12. I love risotto — it’s really quite easy to make, and once you’ve got the technique, you can make it with anything. My absolute favorite is mushroom risotto, made with both dried and fresh mushrooms.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | June 16, 2008, 5:50 am
  13. oh gretchen, this looks fantastic!!

Posted by Aran | June 16, 2008, 10:54 am
  14. I have never tried to make risotto but this one looks great. Butter, wine and garlic – I’m in!

Posted by bobby | June 16, 2008, 11:30 am
  15. Oh this sounds so yummy, I love the idea of the squash and the flavor of nutmeg, and the color is so pretty.Sadly, I’m horrible at making risotto, the consistency is always off. Any tips????

Posted by Erinn | June 16, 2008, 12:31 pm
  16. Making risotto is on my list of things to do…yours look absolutely scrumptious!

Posted by Hillary | June 16, 2008, 1:46 pm
  17. If you come to Toronto, I’d love for you to try my husband’s award winning risotto. He’s the chef a Pangaea Restaurant and his mushroom risotto is a signature dish on the menu

Posted by Dana McCauley | June 16, 2008, 5:45 pm
  18. Nice looking risotto! Butternut squash risotto is one of my favorite risottos. The sweet squash goes well with the creamy risotto with its parmesan cheese.

Posted by Kevin | June 16, 2008, 5:58 pm
  19. This is one of my favorite risottos. Looks delish!

Posted by RecipeGirl | June 18, 2008, 8:48 pm
  20. I love butternut squash, and I bet it is fantastic in risotto!

Posted by Deborah | June 19, 2008, 12:01 pm
  21. butternut squash is one of my favorite foods – especially in risotto. I don’t see my beloved winter squashes much in summer blogging, so I’m happy to see it make an appearance!

Posted by Cara | June 19, 2008, 9:33 pm
  22. Risotto can be scary if you get it wrong, but this looks perfect! I made buuternut squash risotto once based on a Jamie Oliver recipe and it turned out a gluggy disgusting mess – it was binned!

Posted by Cakelaw | June 20, 2008, 7:58 am
  23. I make risotto lots in the winter – my favorite way to use up the leftover bits of anything!This looks perfect!

Posted by katiez | June 22, 2008, 2:42 pm
  24. Your blog features a delicious array of recipes; the way you’ve chosen to present your recipe collection is admirable. We’d like to pass along a gift to you; it’s an acclaimed service that any cook with a recipe collection would feel honored to use. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested.

Posted by Sophie | June 25, 2008, 1:50 pm
  25. The texture looks so nice and creamy. I wish I had some arborio in the pantry right now.

Posted by Jude | June 26, 2008, 12:02 am