Markets

Market Mornings #5

Late yesterday afternoon, I returned from a wonderful, memorable week in the jungle city of Aucayacu. I have so many stories and pictures to share. But, I thought I would start with a simple selection of market shots.

The city of Aucayacu has no supermarket. There are small corner stores and then the market where you would buy meats, fruits, vegetables along with clothes, cleaning products and haircuts. I was on a search for sachapapa because I had heard that the yearly harvest had arrived. There were none to be found, but I ran across some other interesting things!

A Large Corner Stand in the Aucayacu Market

Pituco – A Root That is Boiled, Peeled and Eaten

Breatfruit Seeds and Dale Dale
Dale Dale is another root which is boiled, peeled and eaten.

A Stand in the Market with Pituco and other Tropical Fruits

Ladies Shell the Beans to Sell

Plantains Sold From the Back of a Motocar

6 Responses to “Market Mornings #5”

1. Cute pictures! I love those kinds of markets and didn’t know that Batman himself was selling plantains somewhere in Peru!

Posted by Clumbsy Cookie | June 27, 2008, 7:59 am
  2. That pituco looks intriguing. How is it cooked?

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | June 27, 2008, 1:08 pm
  3. Love all the photos of food and the “bat mobile”!

Posted by Mrs. L | June 27, 2008, 1:55 pm
  4. It’s hard to imagine living somewhere with no supermarkets. I have to say, I would enjoy shopping at a big open air market like that. It’s so interesting to see all of the native produce that I’ve never heard of before. :)

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | June 27, 2008, 11:05 pm
  5. Your weekend markets are so extensive! Beautiful. I’d love to try the breadfruit seeds!

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | June 28, 2008, 1:25 pm
  6. What an exotic collection of produce. I have never even seen most of the fruits and veggies you have shown. Thanks for enlightening me.

Posted by Susan from Food Blogga | July 1, 2008, 3:24 pm