Aucayacu

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

Neighbors came by to offer a bag of 100 oranges for $3.50. I knew everyone would enjoy eating the oranges, but the ladies offered to make fresh squeezed orange juice for us all.

With dull knives they sat and peeled them all as they counted out each and every one. The neighbor had shorted us and they went back to let him know and collect the remaining oranges.

They had to squeeze the juice from every orange half.

Orange juice turns into more of an orange drink by adding water and sugar, boiling it and then having to cool it down. Some still preferred to eat the orange.

9 Responses to “Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice”

1. I’m with the cute kiddo! I’ll go for the orange.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | September 4, 2008, 2:06 pm
  2. Such beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. Isn’t South America special?

Posted by Clumbsy Cookie | September 4, 2008, 3:06 pm
  3. Sounds like they’re making what we call “orange ade” — might be a bit sweet for me, so I’d stick with the fresh squeezed juice. Great photos.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | September 4, 2008, 8:35 pm
  4. That sounds like so much fun. I would love to have such neighbors!

Posted by RecipeGirl | September 4, 2008, 10:26 pm
  5. Lovely pictures! I wish I could visit Peru again….

Posted by Yaelian | September 5, 2008, 11:37 am
  6. How wonderful to have fresh oranges! I’m curious why they peeled them — did they save the peels and use them for something else? Or was it to make the oranges easier to squeeze by hand?

Posted by Barbara | September 5, 2008, 5:09 pm
  7. Anything made by hand with love it delish in my book!I’ve missed your posts and glad to see I have a couple here to catch up on! Cheers!

Posted by Erinn@SundayDish | September 5, 2008, 6:03 pm
  8. Epic neighbors! The boiled version sounds like an orange syrup, which I’m thinking would be a great addition to iced tea.

Posted by Christina | September 6, 2008, 4:20 pm
  9. I just love your kitchen visits! So glad I dropped by in time to see another one!

Posted by Ann | September 7, 2008, 4:07 pm