Dessert

Simple Apple Tart

I have a job here. Use the apples.

The trees are giving an abundance of fruit at my friends’ home and she has put me in charge of baking with all the apples. I am finding myself searching for more and more recipes that use apples. My first apple recipe was a simple apple tart found on Smitten Kitchen. It was eaten up quickly, for breakfast. I made the crust out of all white whole wheat flour (I had never used it before!) and the syrup didn’t seem to work well for me. But, the concept was delicious and much appreciated.

Do you have a “perfect” apple recipe? Your favorite apple pie? Let me know, I have a few bushels more to use!

11 Responses to “Simple Apple Tart”

1. that is rustic and gorgeous at once.

Posted by bee | September 22, 2008, 11:08 am
  2. I don’t have any perfect recipes, but I did just add some shredded apple to my waffles yesterday morning! I suspect it would work for pancakes as well… Mmmmm. Apple cinnamon pancakes. I wish it were breakfast time again! The tart looks amazing. The crust looks delicious…I bet I could eat at least half of it in a sitting! :)

Posted by Sarah | September 22, 2008, 12:55 pm
  3. This tart looks delicious. Like something you’d find in a pastry shop!I made a good apple recipe the other day that I haven’t put on my blog yet, but you can find it on my RecipeGirl.com site if it sounds good to make… Caramel Apple Bars… completely decadent! I made it and then gave it to the teachers at school!

Posted by RecipeGirl | September 22, 2008, 2:41 pm
  4. The tart looks just lovely, Gretchen. I’ve been wanting to try white whole wheat flour, myself. It looks like it made a perfect crust for you.I have a caramel apple pie with raisins on my site somewhere. It is very easy to make and always popular.

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | September 22, 2008, 5:15 pm
  5. Your tart/galette looks delicious. I love the mounds of sliced apples! We’re overrun with apples here too, so I’ll have to check out this recipe.

Posted by Shari@Whisk: a food blog | September 22, 2008, 8:21 pm
  6. How about making apple sauce and apple butter to keep some of the harvest for later? Otherwise, I saw a caramel apple pie the other day that looked incredible – if I can figure out where, I’ll let you know LOL!

Posted by PheMom | September 22, 2008, 9:30 pm
  7. I too have loads of apples to use up. I might just try this tart as it looks so good.

Posted by Kitchen Goddess | September 23, 2008, 12:20 pm
  8. One of my favorites is an apple spice bread. The recipe is from an old New York Times cookbook; the loaf is like banana bread, but more dense, and it freezes well. In years when I’m organized, I make several loaves in the Fall and store them in the freezer.

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | September 23, 2008, 10:04 pm
  9. At our local farmer’s market, the mushroom seller has invented the perfect concoction for late-season chanterelles and prime-harvest apples from her neighboring fruit seller. She offers samples in little tubs for passersby. Try it:large handful chanterelle mushrooms, diced1 shallot, minced1 clove garlic, minced1/4 apple or more to taste, minceddash of desert wine (optional)spoonful of cream (optional)salt and pepper to tasteSaute mushrooms, garlic, and shallot in butter for five minutes. Add the apple, wine (if using) and cook for another five minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream. Serve on toast, orzo pasta, gnochi, or brown rice. Good luck using your apples! I am in the same predicament. All my neighbors have apple trees, and I seem to be the only one picking the fruits. I can’t keep up with the trees, though, and our street is beginning to smell like apple cider.

Posted by Kydoime | September 24, 2008, 4:47 pm
  10. that tart looks amazing!! i love anything apple

Posted by Jaime | September 28, 2008, 12:25 am
  11. I make a candied apple pie that is always requested for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. It’s a basic apple pie (deep dish, of course) but it’s topped with a mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, whipping cream (just a tad), and chopped pecans. Yummy!I’m also planning on making apple butter for Christmas gifts this year. I haven’t found the perfect recipe yet though.

Posted by Holly | September 28, 2008, 7:48 am