Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread [TWD]

1. Kait says:

The cookies still look gorgeous! Like you, I hate shortbread normally…maybe I should give these a try.

2. CB says:

ooohhh shortbread! I wasn’t a TWD member yet when this recipe was chosen but I’ve heard nothing but good things. I think you’ve just pushed me to make these soon. Yum!Clara @ iheartfood4thought

3. Lori says:

i think people just chilled the hell out of the dough right before they baked it, but what’s a little spread, in such a great-tasting cookie! yours look just wonderful.

4. Dana McCauley says:

I’m not familiar with the particular recipe you used but I’d guess that your butter was too warm or that the dough got very warm before baking. Next time, try chilling the cut cookies and the baking sheet before you pop them in to the oven.

5. Teanna says:

Glad you loved them so much! They really do look so gorgeous! I have to try making these, but I am a bit scared! They don’t seem easy! haha!

6. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

Yes, I think you need to practice some more and I’ll help you eat the next batch ;0)

7. SiHaN says:

those cookies still look gorgeous. Sometimes imperfection just makes them look a little more homely.. and perhaps a little more delicious! great job there!

8. Mevrouw Cupcake says:

What a bummer they didn’t turn out for you! Did you refrigerate the cut-out cookies before baking? I find that helps with the dreaded spread.

9. Erin says:

I went back and made these too! Yours look great! I refrigerated mine a pretty good bit before I baked them and that helped with the spreading, but mine still weren’t as pretty as Dorie’s. Shortbread cookies are great because they’re so simple and don’t require a lot of ingredients. Glad you found a recipe you’re happy with!

10. Madam Chow says:

They look beautiful to me! Glad you made this – it’s one I have yet to try.

11. Tammy says:

When I made this shortbread it didnt keep the perfect shape i wanted it to either. You will have to try the brulee another time!

12. Engineer Baker says:

Mine spread like crazy too – yours didn’t nearly as much. I heard that lowering the butter content might help, as well as freezing rather than just refrigerating the dough.

13. Tracey says:

I made these this week too! Mine also spread and I wasn’t crazy about the flavor. Glad you enjoyed them – yours look great!

14. Linda says:

As others have commented, definitely refrigerate the dough before baking, and you’ll get the nice thick squares (I’ll even refrigerate the cut squares until firm before baking). Regardless, I think think your cookies look fantastic!

15. Jaime says:

your shortbread looks delicious. i think others had similar problems w/them though

16. Bellini Valli says:

Sortbread is my families favourite cookie….sadly for them I usually only bake cookies at Christmas:D

17. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

I made these a long time ago and the first batch spread on me too. The second batch which was in the fridge a long time didn’t. That must be the difference. They look really great, though. I’d certainly enjoy eating them!

18. Lisa magicsprinkles says:

These look lovely! Nice and uniform in thickness and shape plus tasty to boot. Who needs holes anyway?

19. Mary Ann says:

Your shortbread turned out great. I made them too and was a little disappointed. They did taste good though!

20. Rebecca says:

I bet the smell of these in the oven was amazing! Good rewind.

21. Mrs. L says:

That shortbread looks so good stacked up like that (and I could eat the whole stack!)

22. Andrea says:

That stack of shortbread looks divine.

23. Shari@Whisk: a food blog says:

I loved these and plan on making them again for Christmas this year.

24. n.o.e says:

Oooh, I love shortbread and I love brown sugar so these look like perfection. Great job!Nancy

25. LyB says:

I think your cookies look perfect. That being said, more cookies is not a bad thing. :)

26. Cakelaw says:

These look great Gretchen – I think the shape is fine.

27. Cookie baker Lynn says:

A shortbread that’s not bland and floury? I’ll have to give it a try. They look great!

28. Esi says:

I love shortbread and this recipe sounds like a good one! My mouth is watering a bit right now. Looks like it would go well with tea.