Cookies

Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread [TWD]

Shortbread seems to be one of those melt in your mouth cookies that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. I remember a roommate of mine baking up a batch effortlessly and us devouring it with equal effort. But, I admit that the floury taste often stood out to me as plain and at times, pasty.

I think that has been remedied. I absolutely loved the taste of brown sugar in the shortbread. The pecans that were studded throughout added a wonderful touch as well. Maybe it is because I rarely use brown sugar, or maybe I had simply tasted nothing like these. But they were delicious!

My only dismay is that they seemed flat and stretched out of shape. The shortbread in the book look perfectly thick with fork pricked holes that did not close up at the first sign of heat. Did I do something wrong? Was the picture in the book an illusion?

Maybe I will have to practice on another batch to see if I can get it right this time. Oh, and so I can eat more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread is being served up for Tuesdays With Dorie Rewind. This weeks TWD recipe, Creme Brulee, was chosen by Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake. Enjoy some of the regular scheduled Creme Brulee by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesdays With Dorie website.

28 Responses to “Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread [TWD]”

1. The cookies still look gorgeous! Like you, I hate shortbread normally…maybe I should give these a try.

Posted by Kait | September 30, 2008, 9:36 am
  2. ooohhh shortbread! I wasn’t a TWD member yet when this recipe was chosen but I’ve heard nothing but good things. I think you’ve just pushed me to make these soon. Yum!Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Posted by CB | September 30, 2008, 9:46 am
  3. i think people just chilled the hell out of the dough right before they baked it, but what’s a little spread, in such a great-tasting cookie! yours look just wonderful.

Posted by Lori | September 30, 2008, 10:50 am
  4. I’m not familiar with the particular recipe you used but I’d guess that your butter was too warm or that the dough got very warm before baking. Next time, try chilling the cut cookies and the baking sheet before you pop them in to the oven.

Posted by Dana McCauley | September 30, 2008, 11:07 am
  5. Glad you loved them so much! They really do look so gorgeous! I have to try making these, but I am a bit scared! They don’t seem easy! haha!

Posted by Teanna | September 30, 2008, 11:23 am
  6. Yes, I think you need to practice some more and I’ll help you eat the next batch ;0)

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | September 30, 2008, 11:42 am
  7. those cookies still look gorgeous. Sometimes imperfection just makes them look a little more homely.. and perhaps a little more delicious! great job there!

Posted by SiHaN | September 30, 2008, 11:56 am
  8. What a bummer they didn’t turn out for you! Did you refrigerate the cut-out cookies before baking? I find that helps with the dreaded spread.

Posted by Mevrouw Cupcake | September 30, 2008, 12:29 pm
  9. I went back and made these too! Yours look great! I refrigerated mine a pretty good bit before I baked them and that helped with the spreading, but mine still weren’t as pretty as Dorie’s. Shortbread cookies are great because they’re so simple and don’t require a lot of ingredients. Glad you found a recipe you’re happy with!

Posted by Erin | September 30, 2008, 12:40 pm
  10. They look beautiful to me! Glad you made this – it’s one I have yet to try.

Posted by Madam Chow | September 30, 2008, 12:48 pm
  11. When I made this shortbread it didnt keep the perfect shape i wanted it to either. You will have to try the brulee another time!

Posted by Tammy | September 30, 2008, 4:33 pm
  12. Mine spread like crazy too – yours didn’t nearly as much. I heard that lowering the butter content might help, as well as freezing rather than just refrigerating the dough.

Posted by Engineer Baker | September 30, 2008, 5:24 pm
  13. I made these this week too! Mine also spread and I wasn’t crazy about the flavor. Glad you enjoyed them – yours look great!

Posted by Tracey | September 30, 2008, 6:03 pm
  14. As others have commented, definitely refrigerate the dough before baking, and you’ll get the nice thick squares (I’ll even refrigerate the cut squares until firm before baking). Regardless, I think think your cookies look fantastic!

Posted by Linda | September 30, 2008, 6:19 pm
  15. your shortbread looks delicious. i think others had similar problems w/them though

Posted by Jaime | September 30, 2008, 8:11 pm
  16. Sortbread is my families favourite cookie….sadly for them I usually only bake cookies at Christmas:D

Posted by Bellini Valli | September 30, 2008, 8:44 pm
  17. I made these a long time ago and the first batch spread on me too. The second batch which was in the fridge a long time didn’t. That must be the difference. They look really great, though. I’d certainly enjoy eating them!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | September 30, 2008, 10:02 pm
  18. These look lovely! Nice and uniform in thickness and shape plus tasty to boot. Who needs holes anyway?

Posted by Lisa magicsprinkles | October 1, 2008, 8:05 am
  19. Your shortbread turned out great. I made them too and was a little disappointed. They did taste good though!

Posted by Mary Ann | October 1, 2008, 9:10 am
  20. I bet the smell of these in the oven was amazing! Good rewind.

Posted by Rebecca | October 1, 2008, 12:47 pm
  21. That shortbread looks so good stacked up like that (and I could eat the whole stack!)

Posted by Mrs. L | October 1, 2008, 2:59 pm
  22. That stack of shortbread looks divine.

Posted by Andrea | October 1, 2008, 6:30 pm
  23. I loved these and plan on making them again for Christmas this year.

Posted by Shari@Whisk: a food blog | October 2, 2008, 8:41 am
  24. Oooh, I love shortbread and I love brown sugar so these look like perfection. Great job!Nancy

Posted by n.o.e | October 2, 2008, 3:34 pm
  25. I think your cookies look perfect. That being said, more cookies is not a bad thing. :)

Posted by LyB | October 2, 2008, 8:22 pm
  26. These look great Gretchen – I think the shape is fine.

Posted by Cakelaw | October 2, 2008, 10:17 pm
  27. A shortbread that’s not bland and floury? I’ll have to give it a try. They look great!

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | October 3, 2008, 1:12 pm
  28. I love shortbread and this recipe sounds like a good one! My mouth is watering a bit right now. Looks like it would go well with tea.

Posted by Esi | October 3, 2008, 5:15 pm