Cake

Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake [TWD]

Sometimes I find it hard for me to dream about things to come. I find it hard to put my hopes and desires into words. Recently, I have been encouraged to “dream again.” I have been asked what I would do if I could do anything without failing. That question should be a wide open door to everything for us. Unfortunately, that very question seems to only tighten the knot that forms in my stomach when I think about my future. For me right now, my hopes and dreams seemed limited to small blocks of time and day-long baking projects.

Although I may not feel like dreaming about my own life, I found some of my dreams coming true this week. When I first brought the Baking From My Home to Yours Cookbook home, the recipe that continually jumped off the page at me was a delicious looking chocolate layer topped with peanut caramel goo. Finally, the group baked this in our very own homes to the delight of anyone nearby.

Overall, I enjoyed this dessert. I would make it again. I may opt to use a different chocolate cake recipe, one that I find to be slightly more moist. And I may get clearer directions on the caramel temperature so that I am not guessing at the length of boiling time (obviously longer than the suggested 5 to 10 minutes). Nevertheless, wonderful idea and delicious dessert!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake is being served up for Tuesdays With Dorie. This weeks TWD recipe was chosen by Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy. Enjoy more Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cakes by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesdays With Dorie website.

32 Responses to “Caramel Peanut Topped Brownie Cake [TWD]”

1. My caramel took longer than 5-10 minutes too. More like 15 minutes. Glad you like the brownie-cake. I thought it was great but I agree that I might do a different cake recipe if I make it again. Love that first photo. PS. Dare to keep dreaming…Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Posted by CB | October 7, 2008, 1:10 am
  2. I hope as time passes that knot in your stomach goes away. I don’t have it anymore when I think of my own future, but I do get it when I think of my son’s. He is so unsettled right now and doesn’t know what he wants. Life is not a piece of cake….too bad it wasn’t otherwise it would be wonderful!

Posted by HoneyB | October 7, 2008, 4:34 am
  3. I agree – I get a knot in my stomach the minute I think about my dreams. I’d rather just confine my aspirations to baking projects too. This, too, shall pass, right? In the meantime, that is one lovely looking brownie cake you’ve got there. Fantastic job!

Posted by Engineer Baker | October 7, 2008, 5:09 am
  4. Well wish me luck, this is my first recipe with TWD and I will be making it once the kids head off to school! Yours looks divine!

Posted by Amanda | October 7, 2008, 7:08 am
  5. Your cake looks lovely. I always enjoy reading what you have been up to and have given you an award that you can see on my blog.

Posted by Andrea | October 7, 2008, 7:31 am
  6. I get a knot in my stomach too but mostly when I think about my children’s futures. Oh, well, I guess we all have something to worry about, right? You certainly don’t have to worry about that cake, it looks fantastic! :)

Posted by LyB | October 7, 2008, 7:49 am
  7. ah, dreams are great, even the small ones.your cake looks amazing, the topping is just so gooey and oozy and fantastic!

Posted by mimi | October 7, 2008, 9:33 am
  8. I agree about the dry cake and a more exact measure for cooking the caramel. Yours looks great- so gooey!

Posted by Jodie | October 7, 2008, 9:38 am
  9. well you don’t have to worry about your cake, because it is gorgeous! great job!

Posted by Sarah | October 7, 2008, 9:40 am
  10. Wow, that cake looks like a dream come true! I made that caramel topping once for a cheesecake and I cooked it too long – it got kind of hard. Yours looks just right.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | October 7, 2008, 10:08 am
  11. I find the small baking dreams to be pretty damn fulfilling. Glad this one came around for you! Looks great!

Posted by rainbowbrown | October 7, 2008, 10:12 am
  12. I agree! I definitely would make this again, but with a different cake recipe! Yours looks fantastic!

Posted by Teanna | October 7, 2008, 10:39 am
  13. I asked myself that question a thousand times before I changed careers. Sometimes it helps to just grab a notebook and once a day answer the questions: What is the best life for me? What do I want? You’ll get there. ;)

Posted by Rebecca | October 7, 2008, 10:49 am
  14. Clara – Thanks for you encouragement! HoneyB – I am glad I only have myself to worry about and don’t have to think about the lives of any children at this point.Engineer Baker – Baking projects are so…do-able! A piece of cake does seem to make things better!Amanda – Good luck, I am sure it will turn out great!!Andrea – Thanks so much! I look forward to picking up my award!LyB – True, I am sure we can all worry about something.Mimi – Thanks!Jodie – A better chocolate cake (with a bit of coffee in it) would put this over the edge!Sarah – Thanks!Lynn – It was delicious. I bet the sauce would be great over cheesecake. Maybe a brownie base, cheesecake over it and caramel peanut sauce over the top?Rainbowbrown – Baking dreams seem wonderful at times. Just enough to keep me on track!Teanna – Definitely a do-over but with delicious adjustments!Rebecca – It is true, I need to keep at it. Thank you!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 7, 2008, 11:01 am
  15. I agree about the caramel- more explicit instructions would have been good, especially for people who have never made a caramel before.Beautiful cake, I’m glad it turned out for you!

Posted by Sweet Charity | October 7, 2008, 11:05 am
  16. This could easily show in a cooking magazine… the light, textures and everything else about your picture, are great! BRAVO!

Posted by vibi | October 7, 2008, 12:13 pm
  17. Your cake looks perfect! I like your openness about dreaming and what you would do if you couldn’t fail. I find myself in the same spot and find it easier to just go bake a cake instead. Thanks for sharing a part of yourself.

Posted by Shari@Whisk: a food blog | October 7, 2008, 12:37 pm
  18. Yum! your cake looks delicious. Some times it’s easier to act (bake) than to worry…

Posted by pinkstripes | October 7, 2008, 3:30 pm
  19. It’s hard to imagine what we would do if we knew we couldn’t fail. I hope that baking gives you some happiness for now. Your cake looks perfect! I think baking is such a great escape sometimes.

Posted by Erin | October 7, 2008, 3:55 pm
  20. great photos. Glad you liked it! thanks for making my pick

Posted by Tammy | October 7, 2008, 5:39 pm
  21. Beautiful Gretchen! Marvelous topping.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | October 7, 2008, 7:22 pm
  22. I really enjoyed this recipe, but agree with you: next time I would use a cake that is more moist than this one.

Posted by Marthe | October 8, 2008, 5:19 am
  23. That looks so good!

Posted by Kevin | October 8, 2008, 5:46 am
  24. Your cake looks just like the book, well done!

Posted by Mevrouw Cupcake | October 8, 2008, 8:19 am
  25. i am definitely feeling the same way as you about my dreams… i wish there was an easy answer, but i think i’d resent it if there were ;)your cake looks superb!! great job. i agree that the cake recipe was a little dry, though.

Posted by kim | October 8, 2008, 12:16 pm
  26. What a photogenic cake! Looks like yours turned out perfectly!

Posted by Rachel | October 8, 2008, 8:39 pm
  27. Sweet Charity – I can appreciate good directions when something can turn from sweet to bitter in a matter of moments!Vibi – Thanks for the nice compliments!Shari – Isn’t it easier to just bake when we feel a bit overwhelmed? Pinkstripes – Thanks. It is easier for me to be in the kitchen than face life sometimes!Erin – Baking is certainly my escape. Tammy – Oh, I certainly enjoyed your pick – YUM!Tanna – Thanks!Marthe – That just gives us an excuse to bake it again!!!Kevin – Thanks! It was!Mevrouw Cupcake – Oh thank you!Kim – Sorry you are feeling the same way. It is true, I suppose if they were easy, maybe we wouldn’t appreciate them quite the same.Rachel – Thanks!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 9, 2008, 11:39 am
  28. I love your brownie cake. The topping looks wonderful. I can’t wait to see your biscotti cookies.

Posted by Flourchild | October 9, 2008, 2:00 pm
  29. aah this looks amazing! shame I’m not allowed peanuts when I’m pregnant! yum!

Posted by bbaking | October 10, 2008, 1:54 am
  30. i think many of us have been waiting to make this cake! it was certainly good but perhaps maybe it looks slightly better than it tastes?

Posted by Jaime | October 12, 2008, 8:23 pm
  31. where is trhe recipe I dont see it?

Posted by Emilia | October 23, 2008, 5:09 pm
  32. Flourchild – MMmmm…it was really delicious!Bev – So sorry!Jaime – Yes! It was one of the first things that caught my eye!!Emilia – You can find the recipe on the hosts blog: http://weetreatsbytammy.blogspot.com/2008/04/april-cupcake-hero-earth-day.html

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 23, 2008, 5:12 pm