Blog

Pumpkin Muffins [TWD]

Living some place for some time without some things causes change.

pumpkin muffinsComplete and total change. I was excited to make pumpkin muffins this week, partially because the flavor fits perfectly with fall and partly because I have access to cans of real pumpkin. I was looking forward to the incredible flavor that I remember when eating loaves of pumpkin bread from years past. But when I made these, all I could think of was squash. Real life, honest-to-goodness vegetable squash.

Don’t get me wrong, they tasted good, not bad. But, you see…you cannot get cans of pumpkin year round in Peru or even seasonally and the pumpkins come in for about a week and they charge an arm and a leg since they know the gringos are the only crazy ones who want to buy them. They even call orange pumpkins “calabaza americano” or American Squash.

All these years, any and every recipe that called for pumpkin would thoughtlessly and effortlessly get replaced with sweet potatoes. Typically I would boil one or two extra for meals and then peel and mash the bright orange flesh. Anytime I saw pumpkin, I read sweet potato. It was as though the automatic translator in my mind not only worked from Spanish to English but also from English to English or from US to Peru. And on days when I am really not thinking I translate from English to Spanish – for myself.

Anyways, all that to say…I think these would be really tasty with sweet potato instead of pumpkin. I did make a few slight changes when I baked these. I used a bit less butter (3/4 cup for one batch), replaced the raisins with dark chocolate chips and used pecans. I did bake them the full amount of time although as soon as the buzzer went off I remembered that several people commented on them being done early.

Pumpkin Muffins were chosen by Kelly of Sounding My Barbaric Gulp for Tuesdays With Dorie.

30 Responses to “Pumpkin Muffins [TWD]”

1. have yet to try a pumpkin muffin, will try them soon.

Posted by Big Boys Oven | October 21, 2008, 3:54 am
  2. Too funny how your brain works, isn’t it? I do think that these would be awesome using sweet potatoes though.

Posted by Engineer Baker | October 21, 2008, 4:44 am
  3. I think sweet potato would work also!

Posted by HoneyB | October 21, 2008, 4:58 am
  4. Ciao ! I love your picture ! and your stories about peruvian cuisine (I’m sharing it with a peruvian friend right now)

Posted by natalia | October 21, 2008, 5:01 am
  5. the del sisters used sweet potatoes – i think that’s a great idea.

Posted by lusciousfood.com | October 21, 2008, 6:21 am
  6. i bet the chocolate chips would be great…good job!

Posted by Sarah | October 21, 2008, 7:09 am
  7. Big Boys Oven – You should certainly try one, especially this fall!Engineer Baker – Yes, I realize that it has “converted” and I think sweet potatoes would be perfect!HoneyB – Yes! I shall have to try them that way!Natalia – Wonderful! I love to share my tales!Lucious Food – I will have to check theirs out. I think it sounds perfect!Sarah – Mmm…they were very good in these!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 21, 2008, 10:33 am
  8. Mmm, I think sweet potato would be excellent! These look great – I like that you used chocolate chips!-Amywww.singforyoursupperblog.com

Posted by Amy | October 21, 2008, 10:43 am
  9. i agree that sweet potato would be a great substitute! your muffins came out beautifully.

Posted by kim | October 21, 2008, 12:43 pm
  10. You know, that is really an excellent point. I just reflexively buy pumpkin because it is easy to find and I “like pumpkin.” But is it really pumpkin I like (I can’t imagine eating pumpkin puree straight out of the can!) or the spice combination traditionally thought of as “pumpkin pie spice?” Hmmmm. I WOULD eat a sweet potato straight, however, and am so intrigued by your idea of using sweet potatoes in this recipe. Your muffins look beautiful, either way!

Posted by Cathy | October 21, 2008, 1:02 pm
  11. They look beautiful! I love the addition of chocolate chips. I bet these would be great as sweet potato muffins!

Posted by Erin | October 21, 2008, 1:35 pm
  12. I think sweet potatoe muffins with chocolate chips sounds wonderful. Your muffins look great.

Posted by Peggy | October 21, 2008, 1:49 pm
  13. I love hearing how things are different there in Peru. I bet sweet potatoes would be good as well!

Posted by Karen | October 21, 2008, 3:34 pm
  14. OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Sweet potato. Nice substitution. And chocolate chips. And pecans. Fantastic! I will have to try your recipe. Yummy!Always wanted to visit Peru. Well, Machu Pichu actually. Looking forward to reading your blog.

Posted by TeaLady | October 21, 2008, 5:17 pm
  15. Oooh, what an idea: sweet potatoes. I am a transplant to the South, and for the longest time I’d be disappointed whenever I saw Sweet Potato Pie (thinking it was pumpkin pie, my favorite). But now I’m used to it, and I think the muffins would be amazing.Nancy

Posted by n.o.e | October 21, 2008, 6:55 pm
  16. I used chocolate chips too – a great substitution I think!

Posted by Tammy | October 21, 2008, 7:01 pm
  17. You’re right – it is just like a squash. I’ve had sweet potato substituted and I could not tell a difference!

Posted by BC | October 21, 2008, 8:05 pm
  18. Love the idea of sweet potato. It’s a lot easier to handle than pumpkin as well.

Posted by Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats | October 21, 2008, 8:57 pm
  19. I love the interchangeable aspect of sweet potatoe and pumpkin. They are both delish. Yes, chocolate chip was my favorite. You muffins look beautiful.AmyRuth

Posted by AmyRuth | October 21, 2008, 11:21 pm
  20. Pumpkin or sweet potato, this recipe looks like a winner. I want one right now with my hot coffee.

Posted by Kim | October 22, 2008, 7:01 am
  21. I am just jealous that you are in Peru! Sweet potato works great, and many squash also. I just bought Dories book so I plan to join this week. Congrats are working with what you’ve got.

Posted by Amber | October 22, 2008, 9:30 pm
  22. Great job! They look delicious!

Posted by Heather B | October 22, 2008, 9:35 pm
  23. Amy – Thanks!Kim – Sweet potato is one of my favorite things!Cathy – It is true. Sometimes we choose things out of habit, not because we really like them!Erin – Thanks! They tasted good with the chocolate.Peggy – I will have to try them like that, I agree!Karen – Thanks, I love sharing how things are diferent!Tealady – All things tasty together! I would also love to visit Machu Picchu!noe – I too am very used to sweet potatoes and find myself really wanting them!Tammy – Perfect!BC – I think sweet potato would have been much better!Sherry Trifle – I think so as well. Easier for me to find as well!AmyRuth – They do seem interchangeable to some extent. Thanks!Kim – Me too…but they are already gone!Amber – I am so glad you will be joining us!Heather – Thanks so much!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 23, 2008, 12:52 am
  24. Sweet potato muffins–now there’s something I haven’t tried, but I’m sure they would be equally tasty.

Posted by Liz | October 23, 2008, 1:27 am
  25. Your muffins look delicious!

Posted by Marthe | October 23, 2008, 5:29 am
  26. These muffins were just so-so for me too. Yours look lovely, though. I’ll bet the chocolate chips were great in them.

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | October 24, 2008, 10:18 am
  27. Mmmm chocolate chips and pecans. I bet that tasted awesome. Bummer it wasn’t a favorite but I can’t wait to see what you do for the chocolate cupcakes next week!Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Posted by CB | October 24, 2008, 12:57 pm
  28. It would be interesting to taste these side by side: sweet potato and pumpkin. Too bad they didn’t meet your expectations!

Posted by Shari@Whisk: a food blog | October 25, 2008, 10:51 am
  29. Sweet potatoes, I love that idea! You are quite resourceful, I’ll have to try that trick sometime! :)

Posted by LyB | October 27, 2008, 9:22 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] muffin recipes –  Sweet Potato Muffins (I replaced the pumpkin with sweet potato from these Pumpkin Muffins) and Full of Grains Muffins – and an Overnight Breakfast Casserole that was so simple, my [...]