Maple Snack Cake

I grew up hating maple syrup. Well, maple syrup as in maple flavored corn syrup. I did not taste real maple syrup until just a few years ago. I don’t think I knew there was such a thing! When the real stuff is involved, I have a little weakness. Probably because I just have a lot of catching up to do in the maple syrup eating department. You know it is good for more than just pancakes!

So, when I saw a recipe for a maple cake, I went weak in the knees. Of course I had to try it! I enjoyed making and baking this, but the eating part went very slow. This turned into an incredibly dense cake which, in turn, was eaten very slowly. My friends had gobbled up so many other things, so I was surprised to see this one take so long to devour.

Either way, this is a wonderful fall-tasting treat. Do you enjoy maple syrup? What is your favorite thing to use it in – besides on pancakes?

Maple Snack Cake

• 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon of whipping cream
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, toasted

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. To prepare cake, combine maple syrup, sour cream, butter, vanilla and egg; stirring well with a whisk.
  3. Combine flour, baking soda, 1/4 cup pecans, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add syrup mixture to flour mixture; stir until well blended. Pour batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
  4. To prepare frosting, combine powdered sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons syrup, cream, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake; sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans.

1. Happy cook says:

My sister send me a wholt big bottle of maple syrup when my hubby went o visit them.This cakes really looks yumm.

2. slush says:

That cake looks freakin awesome. Cant wait to give it a try!

3. Cakelaw says:

I saw this on Facebook and had to come right over – yum!!! the frosting sounds especially fab – it would never make it to the cake!

4. Susan from Food Blogga says:

I love anything with maple syrup, sweet and savory! I inherited it from my mom, so I’ll have to remember this when she visits.

5. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

There is no comparison between the real maple syrup and the make believe, you just can’t believe. The frosting looks so good with the pecans!

6. CookiePie says:

Ooooh – that cake looks fantastic! I love maple syrup, especially grade B, which is less refined and darker. The fake stuff is just awful!

Happy Cook – A whole bottle of syrup would sure be fun to play with!Laurie – I hope you do, I think you will enjoy it!Cakelaw – Haha! My friends were liking the beaters and bowl of the frosting since I told them to wait on the cake.Susan – Oh good, I think you will like it.Cookiepie – I love the real stuff. Someone brought me some from Vermont, by far my favorite!

8. Barbara says:

Does any store in Lima sell real maple syrup? I would desperately love to find a source here. This has been one ingredient I’ve desperately missed since moving to Peru from the United States.

Sorry Barbara, I haven’t seen real maple syrup here yet. It is one of those “please bring me…” items. Hopefully one day…

10. Snooky doodle says:

this cake looks delicious 🙂 i have to try it .

11. Half Baked says:

I loove maple syrup and this cake looks really tasty!! I’ll have to bookmark this recipe:)

Snooky Doodle – Hope you do!Half Baked – I hope you enjoy it!