Rugelach [TWD]

1. Snooky doodle says:

wish to try these. they look yummy. I don t mind eating them for breakfast :) i will try them with walnuts and honey like baklava :)

2. natalia says:

Ciao ! I liked them a lot but not only me : they never arrived to the next morning !

3. bubblyjiggly says:

i’ve made them several times with various self modifications (i.e. using a pate sucree recipe). The sogginess I’ve gotten before and it seems like you need to keep everything quite dry (i.e. thin layer of thick jam, not watery). And while it’s a challenge, it’s critical to wrap them nice and tight otherwise they crumble. The butter will leak a bit in the oven regardless, but it should end up giving a crisply texture.Good luck for next time!

4. Engineer Baker says:

That’s what I love about these – there are so many different variations. The dough can go with just about anything. I like the filling you chose, but hopefully you find one you like a bit better.

5. Susan from Food Blogga says:

I agree. I think rugelach tastes better after it cools, otherwise it can be too intense. I think you did a great job. They’re not easy to make.

6. CB says:

I forgot the egg wash+sugar step too so mine didn't come out as purdy as other TWDers. I have to say I agree about being disappointed. Maybe I'll have to try again, knowing more little tips the 2nd time around. I bet PB&J rugelach would be pretty darn tasty!Clara @ iheartfood4thought

7. Susie Homemaker says:

now I want to try to mke them again too! Yours look great!

8. Karen says:

I put sugar on mine and they are not nearly as pretty as yours! :) Of course my sugar is red….Love the pictures of your Rugelach!

9. Sarah says:

ooh, a nutella version would be awesome! great job!

10. ostwestwind says:

I haven’t tried real rugelach either, but the recipe was a great hit! Your pictures are beautifulUlrike from Küchenlatein

11. MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

I think the combos are endless aren’t they.You did a beautiful bread here!!

12. Beth says:

Beautiful! I’m a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

13. mimi says:

aw, sorry you weren’t impressed, but i bet if you try again, you’ll love them! you’ll probably just have to make sure to roll them snugly. maybe they weren’t chilled enough before baking? i don’t know, but glad your friends liked them!

14. kim says:

you did a great job rolling them, they look perfect! sorry you weren't in love with them, but at least they were a hit with your friends :) pb&j sounds great!

15. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

Rugelach were part of my family’s culinary heritage, and I’ve had (and made) them with all kinds of fillings. Yours look delicious!

16. steph- whisk/spoon says:

yes, there are so many filling possibilties! i love the thought of you friends sneaking them in the middle of the night!

17. HoneyB says:

I totally agree about the nutella! I didn’t bother to chop my bigger chocolate chips up either :)

18. Tammy says:

I loved these too, but need to work on my rolling up skills!!

19. Linda says:

Your flavor combo sounds delicious! I previously had the same issue with the butter and fillings oozing, and I have found that freezing the shaped cookies and popping them directly into the oven really helps retain their shape and minimizes the ooze factor. Good luck! ;)

20. AmyRuth says:

Great minds, what with all these different jams, I too wondered how peanut butter would behave with this dough. Just seems like a natural pairing. I also wondered about cocoa mixed with cinnamon and sugar rather than chunk chocolate. Possibilities?Yours look delish and yes I liked them too. Sassy little morsels in disguise of a really easy to make cookie.Great Work!AmyRuth

21. Em says:

You did a great job!!

22. chocolatechic says:

Sorry you were disappointed.Did you chill them before baking?

23. confectiona says:

I love the idea of making them with a savory filling. I’m getting so many great ideas from the blogs this week!

24. La Mom says:

Bonjour, I’ve been following your blog for months now. You’ve received an award on my blog. Check it out!Bisous from La Mom in Paris

25. Erin says:

These look great! I want to try a savory filling too, but I’m having a hard time coming up with ideas!

Snooky Doodle – The walnuts and honey sound delicious!Natalia – That is funny! Glad you and others liked them!Bubbly Jiggly – Thanks for the tips, I am sure they will help when I make them again!Engineer Baker – Thanks!Susan – True, the flavors were "less intense" the next day.CB – Glad to know I was not the only one! PB&J – yum!Susie – Hope you do! I hope to make them again soon!Karen – Red sugar – what fun!Sarah – Nutella did sound good to me. Now I am thinking Dulce de Leche.Ulrike – I am not even sure I know what is in "real" rugelach. One day. One day.Tanna – Yes, I hope to try some other combinations. Yum!Beth – Great idea.Mimi – Yes, I think another round is in order since I think practice makes perfect!Kim – Thanks, I think I was disappointed they looked nothing like the book. Oh well.Lydia – Glad to know a "real" rugelach eater approves of mine! ;)Steph – Yes, they were done and gone in no time!Kevin – Thanks!HoneyB – I wonder if it may be better to chop them fine next time though?Tammy – I can appreciate practicing the rolling…I still feel as though I need practice!Linda – Thanks! I feel like I did freeze them before baking them, but I may be wrong.AmyRuth – Hehe! Interesting ideas…I am now thinking about dulce de leche. mmm….Em – Thanks!DTW – You definitely need to try Nutella. I had it overseas before it made it big in the US.Chocolate Chic – I think I actually froze them before baking.Confectiona – Savory sounded good…now to try out a few ideas!La mom – Thanks! I will be right over!Erin – Thanks! I need to give it some thought too!

27. gabe's girl says:

Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

28. gabe's girl says:

Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

29. gabe's girl says:

Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

30. chou says:

Maybe throw some almond paste in the center . . . then again, everything is better with almond paste. If they didn’t really grab your attention, though, I’m all for waving goodbye and going back to a favorite recipe. :)

31. Jacque says:

Yours look fantastic, regardless.

32. Kim says:

They look wonderful! I am big fan of this cookie and have been told by many a Jewish friends that I make a superb one, especially for a Christian- you all have a fun group.

33. LyB says:

These would be so good with a savory filling. They look really good as you made them though, they didn’t need the egg wash. :)

34. farida says:

Gretchen, lovely looking rugelach! They would go perfectly well with my morning tea! Yum!

Gabe’s Girl – Thanks!Chou – Mmmmm, almond paste!Jacque – Thanks!Kim – That is funny. Really funny!LyB – Yeah, I still thinking about the savory filling, but now I have seen another sweet filling that I want to try!Farida – Thanks! You are very kind!