Blog

Rugelach [TWD]

RugelachNever have I tasted a “real” Rugelach. In reading about these delicate spiral cookies, I learned they are Jewish in history and are typically made without dairy ingredients of any kind. The Rugelach that we made this week included a cream cheese dough as well as chocolate in the filling. They often appear as crescents, but I was delighted to find other versions such as pinwheels.

The dough for these came together easily. The filling seemed simple enough. However, I took some shortcuts. I was not about to buy anything for these and therefore used some things I had on hand. The dough was brushed with strawberry jam and sprinkled with sliced almonds, dried cranberries and dark chocolate chips. Yes, I am fully aware that chopping up the chocolate chips would have been a great idea, I was just feeling rushed and lazy the day I made these. My laziness creeped over into forgetting about the egg wash and sugar sprinkling to top them off.

As these came out of the oven, truthfully I was disappointed. They seemed to be surrounded by a pool of butter and the jam had leaked out to make a stained glass looking crown around each cookie. Of course, the initial taste (still warm, of course) had me wondering. The jam was sticky and chewy and the cranberries were not much better. After they had cooled, I found myself drawn to them a bit more. And the next morning I woke to find less than 10 still on the plate. Seems they were a hit with my friends.

Rugelach are definitely something I would like to make again. But, I have some other flavor combinations in mind. I would really like to try a orange marmalade with dark chocolate combination. I think it would taste incredible. Someone mentioned Nutella, which has me wondering. Peanut butter & jelly, anyone? One person that tried them mentioned they would prefer them a savory roll ups. Hmmm…I cannot help but wonder, do you have any more ideas for me?

Rugelach are being served up for Tuesdays With Dorie. This weeks TWD recipe was chosen by Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal (where you will find this weeks recipe). Enjoy more Rugelach by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesdays With Dorie website. Or, check out other TWD goodies we have enjoyed on past weeks!

35 Responses to “Rugelach [TWD]”

1. wish to try these. they look yummy. I don t mind eating them for breakfast :) i will try them with walnuts and honey like baklava :)

Posted by Snooky doodle | November 4, 2008, 12:55 am
  2. Ciao ! I liked them a lot but not only me : they never arrived to the next morning !

Posted by natalia | November 4, 2008, 1:41 am
  3. i’ve made them several times with various self modifications (i.e. using a pate sucree recipe). The sogginess I’ve gotten before and it seems like you need to keep everything quite dry (i.e. thin layer of thick jam, not watery). And while it’s a challenge, it’s critical to wrap them nice and tight otherwise they crumble. The butter will leak a bit in the oven regardless, but it should end up giving a crisply texture.Good luck for next time!

Posted by bubblyjiggly | November 4, 2008, 5:40 am
  4. That’s what I love about these – there are so many different variations. The dough can go with just about anything. I like the filling you chose, but hopefully you find one you like a bit better.

Posted by Engineer Baker | November 4, 2008, 6:30 am
  5. I agree. I think rugelach tastes better after it cools, otherwise it can be too intense. I think you did a great job. They’re not easy to make.

Posted by Susan from Food Blogga | November 4, 2008, 8:11 am
  6. I forgot the egg wash+sugar step too so mine didn't come out as purdy as other TWDers. I have to say I agree about being disappointed. Maybe I'll have to try again, knowing more little tips the 2nd time around. I bet PB&J rugelach would be pretty darn tasty!Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Posted by CB | November 4, 2008, 8:22 am
  7. now I want to try to mke them again too! Yours look great!

Posted by Susie Homemaker | November 4, 2008, 8:32 am
  8. I put sugar on mine and they are not nearly as pretty as yours! :) Of course my sugar is red….Love the pictures of your Rugelach!

Posted by Karen | November 4, 2008, 8:36 am
  9. ooh, a nutella version would be awesome! great job!

Posted by Sarah | November 4, 2008, 8:50 am
  10. I haven’t tried real rugelach either, but the recipe was a great hit! Your pictures are beautifulUlrike from Küchenlatein

Posted by ostwestwind | November 4, 2008, 10:08 am
  11. I think the combos are endless aren’t they.You did a beautiful bread here!!

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | November 4, 2008, 11:02 am
  12. Beautiful! I’m a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

Posted by Beth | November 4, 2008, 12:23 pm
  13. aw, sorry you weren’t impressed, but i bet if you try again, you’ll love them! you’ll probably just have to make sure to roll them snugly. maybe they weren’t chilled enough before baking? i don’t know, but glad your friends liked them!

Posted by mimi | November 4, 2008, 12:47 pm
  14. you did a great job rolling them, they look perfect! sorry you weren't in love with them, but at least they were a hit with your friends :) pb&j sounds great!

Posted by kim | November 4, 2008, 1:31 pm
  15. Rugelach were part of my family’s culinary heritage, and I’ve had (and made) them with all kinds of fillings. Yours look delicious!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | November 4, 2008, 4:07 pm
  16. yes, there are so many filling possibilties! i love the thought of you friends sneaking them in the middle of the night!

Posted by steph- whisk/spoon | November 4, 2008, 7:09 pm
  17. I totally agree about the nutella! I didn’t bother to chop my bigger chocolate chips up either :)

Posted by HoneyB | November 4, 2008, 8:01 pm
  18. I loved these too, but need to work on my rolling up skills!!

Posted by Tammy | November 4, 2008, 8:19 pm
  19. Your flavor combo sounds delicious! I previously had the same issue with the butter and fillings oozing, and I have found that freezing the shaped cookies and popping them directly into the oven really helps retain their shape and minimizes the ooze factor. Good luck! ;)

Posted by Linda | November 4, 2008, 8:56 pm
  20. Great minds, what with all these different jams, I too wondered how peanut butter would behave with this dough. Just seems like a natural pairing. I also wondered about cocoa mixed with cinnamon and sugar rather than chunk chocolate. Possibilities?Yours look delish and yes I liked them too. Sassy little morsels in disguise of a really easy to make cookie.Great Work!AmyRuth

Posted by AmyRuth | November 4, 2008, 9:15 pm
  21. You did a great job!!

Posted by Em | November 4, 2008, 9:32 pm
  22. Sorry you were disappointed.Did you chill them before baking?

Posted by chocolatechic | November 5, 2008, 10:41 am
  23. I love the idea of making them with a savory filling. I’m getting so many great ideas from the blogs this week!

Posted by confectiona | November 5, 2008, 11:20 am
  24. Bonjour, I’ve been following your blog for months now. You’ve received an award on my blog. Check it out!Bisous from La Mom in Paris

Posted by La Mom | November 5, 2008, 5:42 pm
  25. These look great! I want to try a savory filling too, but I’m having a hard time coming up with ideas!

Posted by Erin | November 5, 2008, 9:44 pm
  26. Snooky Doodle – The walnuts and honey sound delicious!Natalia – That is funny! Glad you and others liked them!Bubbly Jiggly – Thanks for the tips, I am sure they will help when I make them again!Engineer Baker – Thanks!Susan – True, the flavors were "less intense" the next day.CB – Glad to know I was not the only one! PB&J – yum!Susie – Hope you do! I hope to make them again soon!Karen – Red sugar – what fun!Sarah – Nutella did sound good to me. Now I am thinking Dulce de Leche.Ulrike – I am not even sure I know what is in "real" rugelach. One day. One day.Tanna – Yes, I hope to try some other combinations. Yum!Beth – Great idea.Mimi – Yes, I think another round is in order since I think practice makes perfect!Kim – Thanks, I think I was disappointed they looked nothing like the book. Oh well.Lydia – Glad to know a "real" rugelach eater approves of mine! ;)Steph – Yes, they were done and gone in no time!Kevin – Thanks!HoneyB – I wonder if it may be better to chop them fine next time though?Tammy – I can appreciate practicing the rolling…I still feel as though I need practice!Linda – Thanks! I feel like I did freeze them before baking them, but I may be wrong.AmyRuth – Hehe! Interesting ideas…I am now thinking about dulce de leche. mmm….Em – Thanks!DTW – You definitely need to try Nutella. I had it overseas before it made it big in the US.Chocolate Chic – I think I actually froze them before baking.Confectiona – Savory sounded good…now to try out a few ideas!La mom – Thanks! I will be right over!Erin – Thanks! I need to give it some thought too!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | November 6, 2008, 6:36 pm
  27. Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

Posted by gabe's girl | November 6, 2008, 10:03 pm
  28. Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

Posted by gabe's girl | November 6, 2008, 10:03 pm
  29. Your blog is so nice. You do such a wonderful job!

Posted by gabe's girl | November 6, 2008, 10:03 pm
  30. Maybe throw some almond paste in the center . . . then again, everything is better with almond paste. If they didn’t really grab your attention, though, I’m all for waving goodbye and going back to a favorite recipe. :)

Posted by chou | November 7, 2008, 7:19 am
  31. Yours look fantastic, regardless.

Posted by Jacque | November 7, 2008, 9:58 pm
  32. They look wonderful! I am big fan of this cookie and have been told by many a Jewish friends that I make a superb one, especially for a Christian- you all have a fun group.

Posted by Kim | November 8, 2008, 8:19 am
  33. These would be so good with a savory filling. They look really good as you made them though, they didn’t need the egg wash. :)

Posted by LyB | November 9, 2008, 9:56 pm
  34. Gretchen, lovely looking rugelach! They would go perfectly well with my morning tea! Yum!

Posted by farida | November 13, 2008, 5:52 pm
  35. Gabe’s Girl – Thanks!Chou – Mmmmm, almond paste!Jacque – Thanks!Kim – That is funny. Really funny!LyB – Yeah, I still thinking about the savory filling, but now I have seen another sweet filling that I want to try!Farida – Thanks! You are very kind!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | November 15, 2008, 8:59 am