Blog

Linzer Sables [TWD]

AlfajoresMaybe some people loved these. I didn’t.

Where should I begin? They were crunchy. (Maybe mine were too thin.) They were hard to get off the cookie sheet. (The first few came off fine, then as they firmed up, they broke.) The flavor of cloves were too strong. (I could have omitted it, but normally I like it.) I don’t like mouthfuls of powdered sugar. (I know, I could have omitted this too.) My plan was to sandwich Apple Cranberry Butter from Trader Joe’s but instead of butter, it was more like syrup. So I had to use strawberry jam. (Boring!) Yeah, so these were not my favorite.

Personally, I would much rather enjoy delicious Alfajores – a butter shortbread sandwiched with Peruvian Manjar Blanco┬áthan these cookies. I would rather a fun peanut butter jam thumbprint cookie than these sables.

Again, maybe you loved them. Maybe you have tasted the originals. Maybe I would like a different recipe? (Any suggestions?) As for me, I won’t be making this particular recipe again. What about you? Do you like Linzer Sables? Did you enjoy Dorie’s version of Linzer Sables? Or better yet…have you tried Alfajores?

Linzer Sables are being served up for Tuesdays With Dorie. This weeks TWD recipe was chosen by Noskos of Living the Life (where you will find this weeks recipe). Enjoy more Linzer Sables by visiting the blogroll at the Tuesdays With Dorie website.

21 Responses to “Linzer Sables [TWD]”

1. That dainty cookies look so delicious, and very pretty.Cheers,Elra

Posted by Elra | December 2, 2008, 12:54 pm
  2. WOW Gretchen Noelle! How delicate, how dainty… and perfect!What an accomplishment… you must have been predisposed for Holiday baking, carryins such a perfect name for the season!

Posted by vibi | December 2, 2008, 1:43 pm
  3. Come to think of it, I liked these cookies, but how could they beat alfajores? Beautiful, yes, and good with tea, but probably not the one I’d pick up in a cookie assortment. Yours look beautiful though. Happy travelling!

Posted by Engineer Baker | December 2, 2008, 2:57 pm
  4. I really liked these cookies. I have never had the Alfajores. I will have to try them!

Posted by What's for Supper? | December 2, 2008, 3:13 pm
  5. I really liked these cookies. I have never had the Alfajores. I will have to try them!

Posted by What's for Supper? | December 2, 2008, 3:13 pm
  6. I really liked these cookies. I have never had the Alfajores. I will have to try them!

Posted by What's for Supper? | December 2, 2008, 3:13 pm
  7. I think these cookies were more pretty than tasty. Your’s look great!

Posted by pinkstripes | December 2, 2008, 3:29 pm
  8. even though you didn t like these . they look nice :) I haven t tried them so I can t judge. Have a nice trip.

Posted by Snooky doodle | December 2, 2008, 3:42 pm
  9. I've only had Linzer Sables from a bakery and they were excellent. These look pretty.Safe & discovery travels!

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | December 2, 2008, 4:53 pm
  10. Those cookies look really good, even if it wasn’t how you wanted. Heh, I tried using the future blogging thing, but yeah, it doesn’t quite work…Have a good trip, Gretchen!

Posted by Christina | December 2, 2008, 5:28 pm
  11. they look beautiful, even if they weren’t your thing! checking out the alfajores now. they look delicious :)

Posted by kim | December 2, 2008, 5:31 pm
  12. They look great anyway.

Posted by Cafe Johnsonia | December 2, 2008, 5:43 pm
  13. well, grumpy would probably be right there with you in the “not liking field”. I however loved them. More for me I guess (like I need them! lol)

Posted by HoneyB | December 2, 2008, 8:26 pm
  14. I love these cookies! How can you resist a shortbread buttery cookie with jam and powdered sugar?

Posted by Kim | December 3, 2008, 6:54 am
  15. Lovely presentation. Glad this group includes someone from Peru. A good friend in grad school was from Lima and told me lots about the wonderful food there.

Posted by Cynthia | December 3, 2008, 5:28 pm
  16. I just think these are some of the prettiest cookies ever. Wishing you safe and happy travels!

Posted by Susan from Food Blogga | December 3, 2008, 7:48 pm
  17. I’ve never had those. At least they’re pretty, even if they were too crunchy for you!

Posted by The Blonde Duck | December 4, 2008, 2:47 pm
  18. But, dear Gretchen, they do look so pretty…that alone would be enough to entice me :-)

Posted by sunita | December 5, 2008, 8:17 am
  19. It is alright to not care for them, although I echo everyone else that they are positively, perfectly, sweet looking. Excellent job!p.s. telling my blog to post “on a later date” never works for me either. sometimes i think i am just missing something obvious.

Posted by L*Joy | December 6, 2008, 5:41 pm
  20. These are gorgeous! I love how you made miniature cookies too w/ the cutouts!

Posted by RecipeGirl | December 7, 2008, 8:30 am
  21. Elra – Thanks!Vibi – Thanks! I love holiday baking, it is just hard with it being summer here!Engineer Baker – Cannot beat alfajores! Never!Whats For Supper – You need to try alfajores. Definitely!Pinkstripes – They were pretty, but no the taste wasn’t incredible.Snooky Doodle – They were pretty, but not so tasty.Tanna – I need to try other recipes, they might be better.Christina – Glad to know I am not the only one!Kim – Make the alfajores. Make the alfajores. Make the…Cafe Johnsonia – Thanks!HoneyB – Glad you enjoyed them!Kim – I would just like my shortbread cookie to be flakier. Yum!Cynthia – Thanks! Oh, the food here is incredible!Susan – Thanks!Blonde Duck – They were more pretty than tasty.Sunita – Thanks, looks can be deceiving.LJoy – Good to know I’m not alone!Recipe Girl – Thanks! I couldn’t leave the mini ones out!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | December 22, 2008, 7:51 am