Dessert

Real Butterscotch Pudding [TWD]

Whenever I have thought of butterscotch, I think what came to mind were butterscotch chips and pudding cups with caramel colored cream inside. Never had I ever considered that butterscotch actually meant butter and scotch…and brown sugar.

real butterscotch puddingReal Butterscotch Pudding

Ingredients

1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
3 Tablespoons water
1 3/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Scotch whiskey

Preparation

1. Combine the brown sugar and water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and bring contents to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Lower the heat and boil for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the milk and the cream and bring to a boil.
    2. Beat sugar and egg yolks together in a medium bowl for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk and beat just to mix, then add the cornstarch and salt. Beat on low, just to blend.
    3. While slowly beating the mixture, very slowly pour in the hot milk mixture, beat for a few seconds, then pour everything back into the saucepan. Whisk without stopping over medium heat–making sure to get into the edges of the pan–until the pudding thickens and a few bubbles rise to the surface and pop (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer contents back to the mixing bowl.
    4. With your beater on low add the butter, vanilla and scotch and mix until everything is evenly blended.
    5. Divide the pudding equally into 6 ramekins. If you don’t want a skin to form, place a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of each pudding to create an airtight seal. Refrigerate the pudding for at least 4 hours.

Yield: Makes 6 servings
Source: Adapted from BFMHTY by Dorie Greenspan

Real Butterscotch Pudding was chosen by Donna of Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases for Tuesdays With Dorie.

28 Responses to “Real Butterscotch Pudding [TWD]”

1. great job! i thought the scotch taste was prevalent, but perfect.

Posted by Sarah | December 23, 2008, 7:52 am
  2. Looks Great! I never put together the whole Butter & Scotch combo either! :)

Posted by Sabrina | December 23, 2008, 8:39 am
  3. I m no t a big fan of butterscotch but paired with some banana cakes i think its amazing :)

Posted by Snooky doodle | December 23, 2008, 9:34 am
  4. Talk about innovative. Those cakes are darling.

Posted by rainbowbrown | December 23, 2008, 10:09 am
  5. Glad you liked the pudding. It was rather decadent wasn't it? I didn't make it in the food processor either. Too many horror stories! Gorgeous photos as always!Have a wonderful holiday!Donna Spatulas & Corkscrews

Posted by Donna | December 23, 2008, 10:23 am
  6. Looks fabulous.

Posted by chocolatechic | December 23, 2008, 11:46 am
  7. I just loved this pudding so much! I don’t think I would ever use a food processor to make pudding, just too complicated! :)

Posted by LyB | December 23, 2008, 12:50 pm
  8. Wow! The recipes look great, but I’m even more impressed by how you always make them look so beautiful. :) Ironically, I will have to try some after Christmas, when I actually have time to cook!–Anne B.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2008, 1:11 pm
  9. Your pudding looks great!

Posted by Cristine | December 23, 2008, 1:42 pm
  10. I don’t have a food processor either so I just used the wire whisk. Nothing wrong with good ole handy work!

Posted by HoneyB | December 23, 2008, 3:09 pm
  11. looks great, especially with those banana cakes

Posted by spike. | December 23, 2008, 3:44 pm
  12. wow, i think you win for most beautiful color in your pudding this week! happy holidays!

Posted by Jaime | December 23, 2008, 3:57 pm
  13. Thick or thin — this stuff is addictive.

Posted by confectiona | December 23, 2008, 3:58 pm
  14. butterscotch soupd with banana cakes–sounds like you came up with a winner afterall!

Posted by steph- whisk/spoon | December 23, 2008, 5:21 pm
  15. Wow, good for you to press on! I did not make this, but I was going to use my blender. too. I just ran out of time and energy! Good job!

Posted by Gabe's Girl | December 23, 2008, 5:30 pm
  16. Wow, good for you to press on! I did not make this, but I was going to use my blender. too. I just ran out of time and energy! Good job!

Posted by Gabe's Girl | December 23, 2008, 5:30 pm
  17. Wow, good for you to press on! I did not make this, but I was going to use my blender. too. I just ran out of time and energy! Good job!

Posted by Gabe's Girl | December 23, 2008, 5:30 pm
  18. Gretchen, you sound like me – my husband thought it was a bit boozy, but I didn’t (and I don’t drink!). I thought it was a great recipe, too. Those little banana cakes look wonderful, by the way.

Posted by Madam Chow | December 23, 2008, 8:16 pm
  19. Can’t wait to see what’s coming! I love the rich color of yours.

Posted by Shari@Whisk: a food blog | December 23, 2008, 9:58 pm
  20. This looks heavenly!

Posted by My Sweet & Saucy | December 24, 2008, 12:24 am
  21. I love butterscotch pudding but it’s not something that I find served in most restaurants. But honestly “butterscotch soup with banana cakes”?? Sounds even better! YUM!

Posted by Mrs. L | December 24, 2008, 1:51 pm
  22. Looks great Gretchen – I am sure that your guests enjoyed their “soup”. The banana cakes served with it are just gorgeous.

Posted by Cakelaw | December 24, 2008, 6:58 pm
  23. The pudding looks luscious! Merry Christmas and the wonderful holidays, Gretchen!

Posted by Vera | December 25, 2008, 1:03 am
  24. I’ve never heard of butterscotch here in Lima, but this pudding looks really amazing!!!By the way, I hope you have a merry Christmas here in Perú!!

Posted by Yamile | December 25, 2008, 12:01 pm
  25. Sarah – I found the taste balance perfect!
    Sabrina – Too funny, no?
    Snooky Doodle – It actually did taste really good with the cake.Rainbowbrown – Thanks, I liked them!
    Donna – I think the food processor was overrated. Although I haven’t tried it. Maybe I’m missing out?
    ChocolateChic – Thanks!
    LyB – It was delicious, wasn’t it!
    Anne B. – Thanks! I hope you do enjoy some of them!
    Cristine – Thanks!
    HoneyB – No, there is nothing wrong with making things by hand. Literally.
    Spike – Thanks!
    Jaime – Hehe, Thanks!
    Confectiona – True, so true!!
    Steph – The combination was delicious, that is for sure!
    Gabe’s Girl – Thanks! You should definitely try it, it was tasty!
    Madam Chow – I definitely did not think it was too boozy, I thought it was perfect. I liked my little cakes too!
    Shari – Mmmm…it was delicious too!
    Sweet & Saucy – Thanks!
    Mrs. L – Too funny. Soup it was!
    Cakelaw – Thanks! I enjoyed the combination of the two!
    Vera – Thanks!
    Yamile – Thanks! I don’t think butterscotch is something common here although I have found many Peruvians who enjoy the flavor.

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | December 26, 2008, 8:54 am
  26. This looks delicious. And I have to laugh…I just finished making the Butterscotch Tartlets from the “Baked” cookbook – my first time making butterscotch too — and I have a feeling it’s not going to harden properly either. The recipe said the ‘scotch should be very thick when removed from heat, but mine did not thicken up even though I left it on for about two minutes longer than suggested. Just put in the fridge for the firm-up so we’ll see. Thanks for giving me a good idea for “soup” though in case I find the same! :)

Posted by Little Miss Cupcake | December 27, 2008, 10:13 am
  27. That butterscotch pudding looks really good! Now I am craving some…

Posted by Kevin | December 28, 2008, 2:03 pm
  28. wow, your pudding has such a lovely dark color! it looks great. glad you enjoyed it in “soup” form too :)

Posted by kim | December 31, 2008, 12:33 pm