This was a delicious combination of soft and sweet and I loved every bite. This would be a great dough to have on hand in your freezer and when company comes by, you could grate, bake, smear, grate, bake, serve. Then, smile.
- 200g butter (or 2 sticks), softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup passionfruit jam
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat butter until it is smooth. Add egg yolks and sugar, beat until light & fluffy. Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix on low speed until the ingredients are all incorporated. Separate in two equal parts, roll into balls, wrap with plastic and freeze for 30 minutes or longer (up to one month!).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Grate one of the dough halves with the largest holes on a grater. Gently fill the baking dish with grated, frozen dough. Pat gently only to be sure it is level and the corners are filled in. Bake for 20 minutes. At this point, grate the other half and place in a bowl in the freezer until you are ready to use it.
- Remove shortbread bottom from the oven. Spread jam evenly over the shortbread bottom. Sprinkle remaining frozen, grated dough over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating about halfway through.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly on a cooling rack and cut into squares to serve.