Sopa a la Minuta // Minute Soup
Before “instant soup” existed in Peru, cooks would make minute soup – which was ready in just minutes because of the small amounts of ingredients and thin noodles. Often, we make this to fit our preferences by using different noodles and offering the milk to add to you own bowl, if desired.
- 2 teaspoons of canola oil
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of minced red bell pepper
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground oregano
- 6 cups of hot water
- 1/2 pound of angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Add tomato, bell pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Crumble the beef into the onion mixture and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and oregano. Pour hot water into the mixture and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add milk. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.