Chocolate Caliente // Peruvian Drinking Chocolate
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 100 grams of drinking chocolate bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of salted butter
- Bring water and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and add the regular milk, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. Stir to combine and allow to boil for 2 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder. Remove one cup of the hot milk mixture and add to the small bowl with the chocolates. Stir to dissolve chocolate and cocoa powder. Return the chocolate mixture to the pot. Cook over low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of water (you can use the same bowl from the chocolate) and add to the milk mixture; stirring continuously. Add the vanilla extract and butter. Stir and cook over low heat for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and serve hot.