Blog

White Loaves [BWJ]

White LoavesIt is amazing how much time can go by before you realize you are out of practice at something. Something you were once so familiar with, you let it slide – just a little bit – and the first time back, it feels oddly foreign. That was the sense I had making these delicious loaves of bread.

Basic bread loaves are incredibly are an incredibly important recipe to have in your file. I admit, I don’t really have a “go to bread.” You know the kind, the loaf of bread you don’t even pull out a cookbook for and you have thrown it together without a second thought. Those people that always said “making a loaf is easier than running to the grocery store” must have at least a few “make this every week” kind of recipe.

White Loaves 1For a first-time-back-to-yeast activity, these were perfect! The dough came together easily and nicely. After proofing my yeast, I added almost half the flour and almost half the water and stirred that all together. I repeated that and had a wonderful smooth dough on my hands. Without closely following the recipe, I melted the butter and had forgotten the salt, so I added it to the melted butter and kneaded that in with the last bit of flour. At this point, I thought the dough was just perfect.

The rises were simple and quick, one of the wonderful things about a humid, hot, sunny, summer day! My original plan was to leave both loaves plain white. Of course, as I patted out the second loaf, I couldn’t stand the idea of two plain loaves and whipped up a quick chocolate cinnamon filling.

White Loaves 2I baked until the loaves reached 200F on an instant thermometer and quickly pulled them out to cool. As I write, I am finishing my first piece of the plain loaf. I added nothing to it, just wanted to taste it as is. And I am pleased.

Make your own Basic White Loaves!

White Loaves are being served up for Tuesdays With Dorie. This weeks TWD recipe was chosen by Laurie of Slush and Jules of  Someone’s in the Kitchen.

29 Responses to “White Loaves [BWJ]”

1. Nice to meet you with Julia again ;-)

Posted by Ulrike | February 7, 2012, 8:47 am
  2. Wow! Those look great! This is fun getting to see how everyone else’s turned out and see if anyone made any modifications!

Posted by Shirley | February 7, 2012, 9:03 am
  3. This is great looking at everyone’s bread. Looks like this turned out well!

Posted by Shirley | February 7, 2012, 9:05 am
  4. I love your step-by-step photos. And toast with the jam makes me wish I had some of this bread left for breakfast.

So glad you are back on the baking train with us! :)

Posted by laurie | February 7, 2012, 9:48 am
  5. Ho, I have come round to the idea that homemade white bread is good! So much more than Wonder bread ;-)

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | February 7, 2012, 11:26 am
  6. Gorgeous loaves – can’t wait to try this again and get a pretty loaf with a correct rise! :)

Posted by Jessica of My Baking Heart | February 7, 2012, 12:36 pm
  7. good to see you back with TWD! what a nice looking loaf. next time, i think i’ll try melting the butter, too…sounds like an easier way to incorporate it.

Posted by steph (whisk/spoon) | February 7, 2012, 5:51 pm
  8. My dream is to one day make all our bread from scratch! I have loved seeing others’ variations on the bread – it has given me lots of ideas.

Posted by Karen/Shortbread | February 7, 2012, 9:21 pm
  9. The chocolate and cinnamon sounds great! Your bread looks yummy :)

Posted by Robin | February 8, 2012, 1:04 pm
  10. Everyone turned out such lovely loaves this week.
    I have some go to recipes, but I definitely still need to look :-)

Posted by Cher | February 8, 2012, 5:56 pm
  11. I’d love to make more bread from scratch, and this recipe certainly was inspirational to do so. Really enjoyed your photos and the composition. If you find a go to recipe let me know!

Posted by Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva | February 8, 2012, 7:23 pm
  12. Great loaves! Looking forward to baking with you. Cheers!

Posted by Rachel B | February 8, 2012, 11:07 pm
  13. What great photos! Chocolate and cinnamon sound like a perfect pair!

Posted by Laura | February 9, 2012, 1:27 am
  14. Such fabulous bread…I think it’s a consensus that this was a winner!

Posted by Liz | February 9, 2012, 12:03 pm
  15. your chocolate loaf sounds delicious! Great job!! :) Is it pretty warm where you are?

Posted by Alice | February 9, 2012, 6:44 pm
  16. I enjoyed your photos! Isn’t this fun looking at everyone’s pictures and seeing what they did? I look forward to our future projects ‘together’!

Posted by Jessica | February 9, 2012, 11:39 pm
  17. Reading everybody’s posts today is making me hungry. :)

Love reading your post. Unrelated to the recipe, how did you get such great pictures? I find that most of mine come out with a hue of yellow because of my kitchen lighting.

Posted by Amanda | February 10, 2012, 12:16 pm
  18. Your loaves look wonderful! The toast with jam is making me hungry!

Posted by Erin E | February 10, 2012, 8:21 pm
  19. I’m finally getting a chance to read everyone’s posts and I wish I still had some of this bread left, now! I’d love to try the chocolate-cinnamon filling some time, too.

Posted by Teresa | February 20, 2012, 10:57 pm