Recipes

Ceviche de Champiñones // Mushroom Ceviche

Ceviche is traditionally made with fish, but this is a wonderful twist on a traditional treat. This can be served as a perfect summer salad…refreshing and delicious.

Mushroom CevicheCebiche de Champiñones // Mushroom Ceviche

Ingredients

1/3 cup of freshly squeezed key lime juice
4 garlic cloves
1 aji limo pepper
1 tablespoon of minced cilantro
1 tablespoon of minced parsley
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
1 pound of white mushrooms, sliced thick
1 red onion, julienned
salt and pepper

Preparation

1. In a blender, combine lime juice, garlic, aji, cilantro, parsley, and ginger. Blend until fully liquefied. Add oil slowly to allow for emulsion. Pour over sliced mushrooms in a medium sized bowl. Add onion and mix to coat. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine; stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. To serve, line a plate with lettuce, top with mushroom mixture and accompany with boiled & peeled sweet potato, choclo and canchita.

Yield: Serves 4
Source: Adapted from Cebiches del Peru

Originally posted on Canela & Comino on Apr 19, 2008.

19 Responses to “Ceviche de Champiñones // Mushroom Ceviche”

1. Very interesting. I think this would be very good with the lime, ginger and cilantro flavors. Very savory! And the crunch of the red onions…fantastic.

Posted by dobetter | April 19, 2008, 11:29 am
  2. That Mushroom Ceviche looks good. The mango ceviche also sounds really good!

Posted by Kevin | April 19, 2008, 3:25 pm
  3. Mmm, this looks wonderful. I love the lime juice and cilantro in it.

Posted by Cookie baker Lynn | April 19, 2008, 4:06 pm
  4. I am a big fan of Ceviche but I’ve never heard of or tasted mushroon Ceviche before. Very creative!

Posted by Lina | April 19, 2008, 7:28 pm
  5. I never realized that things other than fish could be ceviche. Thanks — a wonderful and informative post!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | April 19, 2008, 10:18 pm
  6. I love mushrooms and this recipe is new to me. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I’ve never heard of Ceviche before. Interesting!

Posted by Chuck | April 20, 2008, 1:39 am
  7. Thanks for this unique mushroom dish. Sounds very refreshing.

Posted by Lisa | April 20, 2008, 10:17 am
  8. I definitely need to make this for my dad. He enjoys eating marinated mushrooms and this would be a perfect dish to accompany a springtime meal. Thanks for the little lesson. I wasn’t aware that ceviche wasn’t solely for fish!

Posted by Christina | April 20, 2008, 11:14 am
  9. What a great entry for the event.Count me in among those who have never heard of anything but seafood ceviche!

Posted by RecipeGirl | April 20, 2008, 12:31 pm
  10. I love that every country has an interpretation of this dish. In Provence, we call it escabeche and use tomato paste and white wine with whole coriander seeds. I am looking forward to trying your version!

Posted by Tartelette | April 20, 2008, 1:34 pm
  11. This sounds wonderful Gretchen and mushrooms are one of my favorite things.

Posted by Julie | April 20, 2008, 1:49 pm
  12. sounds so refreshing gretchen! we call it escabeche in spain, so good!

Posted by Aran | April 20, 2008, 4:54 pm
  13. Wow! Does that work? I never thought anything besides seafood could be “ceviche”-I must try this.

Posted by Emiline | April 20, 2008, 5:58 pm
  14. very interesting recipe. love the idea of fresh herbs in the salad.

Posted by farida | April 21, 2008, 12:10 am
  15. Amazing! I love mushrooms with fresh herbs. Wonderful entry, Gretchen.

Posted by Suzana | April 21, 2008, 5:09 am
  16. This sounds fantastic – lots of my favorite flavors. I will definitely be saving this one! I also did not know that ceviche was not limited to seafood. Thanks for the info!

Posted by Cara | April 21, 2008, 7:59 am
  17. I have actually never had a ceviche. This sounds delicious!

Posted by Deborah | April 21, 2008, 1:19 pm
  18. Hello, I’m having fun viewing Lisa & Holler’s roundup and I think you are the first to prepare a cold mushroom salad. Love the combination of lime and ginger with the other spices. I would have never thought to serve the mushrooms with sweet potatoes! Interesting combination I will have to try, I know my husband would love it!

Posted by LisaRene | April 21, 2008, 10:43 pm