Basics

DIY: Aji Amarillo Molido // Peruvian Yellow Pepper Paste

Aji Amarillo PasteA very common use of aji amarillo is as a paste which forms the base of another food. You can purchase some through some internet sources. But, if you are like me, you may be able to get the peppers fresh and want to make your own. Here’s how.

Aji Amarillo Paste

First, cut both ends off of the pepper. Slice the pepper lengthwise down the middle. Use a teaspoon and remove the seeds and veins.

Aji Amarillo PasteCover the peppers with water and place the pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly, then peel the skin from the pepper.

Aji Amarillo Paste In a large saute pan, heat the oil and then add the peeled peppers. Saute until the pepper begin to brown slightly. Transfer peppers to a blender, or my preferred method, use a hand blender to blend peppers into a sauce. Use as needed when making special Peruvian dishes.

Aji Amarillo Paste

Ingredients

2 pounds of fresh Peruvian yellow peppers
1/4 cup oil

Preparation

1. Remove both ends off of the pepper & slice lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape away the seeds and veins.
    2. Cover the peppers with water and place the pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly, then peel the skin from the pepper.
    3. In a large saute pan, heat the oil and then add the peeled peppers. Saute until the peppers begin to brown slightly. Transfer peppers to a blender, or my preferred method, use a hand blender to blend peppers into a sauce.
    4. Store in the refrigerator or freeze small portions for later use.

Yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups

Originally published on Canela & Comino on Feb 16, 2008.

15 Responses to “DIY: Aji Amarillo Molido // Peruvian Yellow Pepper Paste”

1. Beautiful photos!

Posted by eatme_delicious | February 17, 2008, 1:18 am
  2. Oh I cant wait to see the upcoming recipie. I love peppers.

Posted by glamah16 | February 17, 2008, 1:24 am
  3. I’ve only tasted the store-bought paste and never made my own. I was introduced to this wonderful condiment many years ago by a Peruvian woman who ran a food pantry for a Boston community hospital. The aji amarillo was a revelation!

Posted by Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) | February 17, 2008, 10:54 am
  4. The possibilities are endless for ways to uses this sauce. Thank you for sharing!

Posted by LisaRene | February 17, 2008, 12:55 pm
  5. Ashley – Thanks!!Glamah – Yes, I must get busy, musn’t I?Lydia – I am just so impressed that you have used it before! Yeah! I *love* the taste!!LisaRene – You are more than welcome!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 17, 2008, 7:24 pm
  6. i’ve never had this type of pepper – the color is gorgeous! i’m going to try to find them.

Posted by michelle @ Us vs. Food | February 17, 2008, 7:51 pm
  7. Very interesting. I’m pretty sure I haven’t had this type of pepper.

Posted by Kalyn | February 17, 2008, 8:26 pm
  8. What gorgeous peppers! Your pictures are beautiful. Peruvian cuisine is one of my absolute favorites. Last night on the Food Network, a Peruvian woman won the Ultimate Recipe Challenge for her roasted chicken with aji amarillo cream sauce. She won $25,000!

Posted by StickyGooeyCreamyChewy | February 18, 2008, 5:06 pm
  9. Can not wait to try some of your recipes! We love spicy food and especially peruvian. We have a place to eat at in San Francisco that is Peruvian and we go as much as our pocket book lets us! Your site will be perfect so we can try some of your recipes! I will be sure to let you know when we do!

Posted by Chez Denise et Laudalino | February 18, 2008, 5:12 pm
  10. What kind of oil are you using? I’m excited to make this for the inlaws, they’re peruvian, and always bring back aji sauce…

Posted by Randal | February 18, 2008, 11:51 pm
  11. Michelle – I hope you are able to find them! They are delicious!Kalyn – They are wonderful. If you ever get the chance, do try them!SGCC – So glad you love Peruvian food!! I’m amazed that a Peruvian recipe won a challenge like that, the cuisine is so often under appreciated. I am glad for her!Denise – Please do try some of these recipes, Peruvian food is so worth making in your own kitchen.Randal – I used vegetable oil, but you could also use Canola. I think olive oil has too strong of a taste and wouldn’t fair well with the peppers. Peruvian in-laws? How interesting!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | February 19, 2008, 9:13 am
  12. I did find some peppers and now want to make the paste. Can this paste be stored? If so, how should I store it? Thanks for the great pictures and directions!

Posted by brancaj | October 11, 2008, 9:55 pm
  13. Brancaj – Glad you were able to find the peppers! If I want the paste to last a few extra days, I typically add a bit of vinegar to make it last longer. Truthfully, I imagine you could store it in the freezer, even in smaller portions so it can be easily used. Hope that works for you!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | October 12, 2008, 2:17 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] and is found between 30,000 – 50,000 on the Scoville Scale. For several dishes, the pepper is prepared as a paste, but for many others, it is cut into strips and added to dishes like lomo saltado. Aji Amarillo is [...]

2. [...] were served a variety of breads, including a goblet of thin breadsticks and rolls made with aji amarillo paste and chicha de jora. Those rolls are STILL on my mind. We pored over the menu, seeing so many [...]

Provecho Peru - April 22, 2013