DIY: Aji Amarillo Molido // Peruvian Yellow Pepper Paste

Aji Amarillo PasteA very common use of aji amarillo is as a paste which forms the base of another food. You can purchase some through some internet sources. But, if you are like me, you may be able to get the peppers fresh and want to make your own. Here’s how.

Aji Amarillo Paste

First, cut both ends off of the pepper. Slice the pepper lengthwise down the middle. Use a teaspoon and remove the seeds and veins.

Aji Amarillo PasteCover the peppers with water and place the pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly, then peel the skin from the pepper.

Aji Amarillo Paste In a large saute pan, heat the oil and then add the peeled peppers. Saute until the pepper begin to brown slightly. Transfer peppers to a blender, or my preferred method, use a hand blender to blend peppers into a sauce. Use as needed when making special Peruvian dishes.

Aji Amarillo Paste

Ingredients

2 pounds of fresh Peruvian yellow peppers
1/4 cup oil

Preparation

1. Remove both ends off of the pepper & slice lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape away the seeds and veins.
    2. Cover the peppers with water and place the pot on the stove. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly, then peel the skin from the pepper.
    3. In a large saute pan, heat the oil and then add the peeled peppers. Saute until the peppers begin to brown slightly. Transfer peppers to a blender, or my preferred method, use a hand blender to blend peppers into a sauce.
    4. Store in the refrigerator or freeze small portions for later use.

Yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups

Originally published on Canela & Comino on Feb 16, 2008.

1. eatme_delicious says:

Beautiful photos!

2. glamah16 says:

Oh I cant wait to see the upcoming recipie. I love peppers.

3. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I’ve only tasted the store-bought paste and never made my own. I was introduced to this wonderful condiment many years ago by a Peruvian woman who ran a food pantry for a Boston community hospital. The aji amarillo was a revelation!

4. LisaRene says:

The possibilities are endless for ways to uses this sauce. Thank you for sharing!

Ashley – Thanks!!Glamah – Yes, I must get busy, musn’t I?Lydia – I am just so impressed that you have used it before! Yeah! I *love* the taste!!LisaRene – You are more than welcome!

6. michelle @ Us vs. Food says:

i’ve never had this type of pepper – the color is gorgeous! i’m going to try to find them.

7. Kalyn says:

Very interesting. I’m pretty sure I haven’t had this type of pepper.

8. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

What gorgeous peppers! Your pictures are beautiful. Peruvian cuisine is one of my absolute favorites. Last night on the Food Network, a Peruvian woman won the Ultimate Recipe Challenge for her roasted chicken with aji amarillo cream sauce. She won $25,000!

9. Chez Denise et Laudalino says:

Can not wait to try some of your recipes! We love spicy food and especially peruvian. We have a place to eat at in San Francisco that is Peruvian and we go as much as our pocket book lets us! Your site will be perfect so we can try some of your recipes! I will be sure to let you know when we do!

10. Randal says:

What kind of oil are you using? I’m excited to make this for the inlaws, they’re peruvian, and always bring back aji sauce…

Michelle – I hope you are able to find them! They are delicious!Kalyn – They are wonderful. If you ever get the chance, do try them!SGCC – So glad you love Peruvian food!! I’m amazed that a Peruvian recipe won a challenge like that, the cuisine is so often under appreciated. I am glad for her!Denise – Please do try some of these recipes, Peruvian food is so worth making in your own kitchen.Randal – I used vegetable oil, but you could also use Canola. I think olive oil has too strong of a taste and wouldn’t fair well with the peppers. Peruvian in-laws? How interesting!

12. brancaj says:

I did find some peppers and now want to make the paste. Can this paste be stored? If so, how should I store it? Thanks for the great pictures and directions!

Brancaj – Glad you were able to find the peppers! If I want the paste to last a few extra days, I typically add a bit of vinegar to make it last longer. Truthfully, I imagine you could store it in the freezer, even in smaller portions so it can be easily used. Hope that works for you!

1. March 31, 2012

[…] and is found between 30,000 – 50,000 on the Scoville Scale. For several dishes, the pepper is prepared as a paste, but for many others, it is cut into strips and added to dishes like lomo saltado. Aji Amarillo is […]

2. April 22, 2013

[…] were served a variety of breads, including a goblet of thin breadsticks and rolls made with aji amarillo paste and chicha de jora. Those rolls are STILL on my mind. We pored over the menu, seeing so many […]