Magnificent Mangoes

Here in Peru, we have a variety of mangoes to choose from. Mango season is just about over here and I wanted to share most of my favorite ways to eat them.

Mango CrispMango Crisp

4 cups of chopped peeled ripe mango (about 4 pounds)
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons of butter, melted
1/3 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
3 tablespoons of cold butter, cut in cubes

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Make filling by combining the mango, sugar, cornstarch, lime juice and butter, tossing gently to combine. Place mango mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3. Prepare topping by combining flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and ginger, stirring well. Cut in cubes of butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over mango mixture. Bake at 400F for 40 minutes or until browned.

Yield: Serves 8
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

Originally posted on Canela & Comino in April 2008.

1. Laurie Constantino says:

I would be very happy if I had enough access to mangoes that I could tell the difference between the varieties. I was just looking at a Mango French Toast at and now this Crisp, which sounds wonderful. I’m most taken with your pictures of mangoes from the tree to the box. Great visuals!

2. Tartelette says:

You know me, how I love preserve jars to cook desserts in so I am loving that cobbler in a jar. Love the flavors of this cobbler!

3. Kevin says:

Look at all those wonderful mangoes! I never even though about doing a mango crisp. It sounds like a great idea!

4. AYE Admin says:

That is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a long time. That would be so neat to have that kind of access to fresh mangoes! Yum!I’ve given you an award so go and check it out! :)

5. Karen says:

Okay, your photos are getting more and more inspiring! Love them! Your food always looks wonderful!

6. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

I used to have a beautiful mango tree years ago at our former home. I really miss it. Now, I have to buy them at the store like everyone else! 🙁 I love your crisp! It looks delightful!

7. Aran says:

Love, love, love it!!

8. Ann says:

Oh yum! I adore crisps and I have a love-hate relationship with mangoes. This just might be the breakthrough recipe!

Laurie – I do love that we have so many varieties and I actually know what to do with them! Thanks for your comment about the production photos – they were an afterthought!Tartelette – Thanks! Your work is an inspiration for me! :)Kevin – Thanks! It was tasty!Holly – Thanks so much for my award! What an honor!Karen – Thanks! I so appreciate it!SGCC – you had a mango tree? I am jealous!!!Aran – Thanks! I thought of you the whole time I was making these! Ann – I hadn’t done a mango crisp before and I really liked it!

10. Deborah says:

I just tried my first fresh mango about a year ago. I really do love them! I would have never thought to have them in a crisp – it sounds wonderful!

11. abby says:

wow, that looks fabulous! i shall have to try and divert my next mango from a smoothie into something like this… thanks for sharing with the monthly mingle.

12. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

You’re so lucky to get a variety of mangoes; here we get just one at a time, all year round. My husband is a mango fanatic; I’m forwarding this post to hime!

13. Mansi Desai says:

Mangoes are my favorite fruits, no doubt about it!! this looks fabulous, and I’m surely making it!!:)

14. Cakelaw says:

I love mangoes, so any dish containing mangoes is a winner for me. I miss them already (sigh).

15. MeetaK says:

I am another mango lover!! And this is such a perfect dessert idea. I love the flavors! Great for the MM!

16. Bellini Valli says:

For the Royal Foodie Joust I have to come up with something made from mangoes. My dilemna is I can’t choose from all the delicious sounding recipes out there…even though I have never had a mango in my life!!! So as you can see I would have to sit on the fence at the moment on whether I enjoyed mangoes or not:D

17. Jaime says:

this looks tasty! i love mangoes and cannot see why others like my husband don’t!

18. Layla says:

Hi Gretchen, It’s so great to see that you have a new site, I was looking for Canela & Comino for a while now! I love mangoes and I am looking forward to trying this recipe!

19. Elizabeth says:

Mangoes… I love mangoes and am suitably envious of you living where mangoes grow so that you can have as many mangoes as you want without having to take out a second mortgage on the house.

I never thought of having mango crisp. I bet it’s wonderful.