Tree Tomato // Sachatomate

1. Blair says:

You should try tomate de arbol juice, it is one of the things I miss most about living in that part of the world!

2. Deborah says:

Another thing I have never heard of before – what a great dish!

3. Karen says:

Funny! I love all of your potential ideas. Beautiful photos! The spoon one is excellent…how did you do it?

4. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

Well, I don’t think I have access to any of those things, but it’s worth a look. That sauce looks fabulous! I could see myself spooning it on everything!

5. Ann says:

Oooh… I want to try this!

6. A. Grace says:

i’m pretty sure i’d just eat this by the spoonful. or better yet, i’d bring the entire bowl up to my mouth and pour it down my throat. awesome! :)

7. Suzana says:

I like it a lot and, yes, we have it here in Portugal (even if it’s still a little luxury to buy it – it’s very expensive). This sauce is a must try!

8. Cakespy says:

This looks exceedingly good–for a spice lover like myself, sounds like heaven!

9. Jessy and her dog Winnie says:

That looks delicious! I bet it has a nice spicy kick!

10. Kalyn says:

You’re amazing. I realize you’re a whole continent away, but still I’m impressed how you keep coming up with things I’ve never seen or tasted! Sounds delicious.

11. Ether says:

There is a peruvian restaurant near me, and I love the food. I’d love to learn how to make some of the dishes- particularly the vegetarian dishes. Some of my favorites of theirs are (descriptions from their menu):Ajiaco: Spicy peruvian potato and cheese stewMote Chorreado: Peruvian corn tossed with fresh tomatoes in a spicy cheese saycePastel de Quinua: Andean grain layered with assorted cheeses and peruvian hot peppersI’ve attempted recipes I’ve found for Papas a la huancaina, but it never comes out at all like it is at the restaurant. It is much richer and more savory at the restaurant, and at home it’s like a trashy breakfast food. Hmm.I’d love suggestions on how to make some of these, or cookbooks. So far my searches have come up rather short. I’ve added your blog to my feed reader and look forward to reading more from you!

12. Laurie Constantino says:

Fascinating Gretchen. Like others, I’ve never seen or heard of this fruit before, and I know for sure I won’t be able to find it in Alaska! But I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for it on my travels. Thanks for the education!

13. Aran says:

I have never seen tree tomatoes. That is so wonderful that you have access to so many different varieties of fruits and vegetables. So lucky!

14. katiez says:

I’ve never heard of a tree tomato…and if I’ve seen one I would have assumed it was a persimmon…Very interesting…Now I’ll have to watch for them – but probably not hear in France. Spain, maybe…

15. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen tree tomatoes in the markets here, but that hot sauce looks amazing, so I will make a trip to our large Latino supermarket in Providence to see what they have. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

16. Yaelian says:

Nice recipe.I am so glad to have found your blog as I fell in love with Peruvian food while visiting Peru, twice.I am still dreaming of lucuma ice cream,which must have been the best ice cream flavour I have ever had.

17. Rebecca says:

I’ve never seen these tomatoes-I love their color! I just made salsa last week-a recipe from a Mexican friend-I always end up having to add a LOT of salt, but it’s sooo good!

18. Jaime says:

how neat! i have never seen this type of tomato before…

19. michelle @ the smackdown says:

i’ve seen a couple of posts about these in the past month. i’ve never had them before, and now i really want to track them down. this sounds great!

Blair – I did read about the juice and I imagine it is wonderful. When I see them again, I will be sure to pick them up.Deborah – Glad I could introduce you to something new!Karen – Thanks! Literally, spoon in left hand, camera in right hand and snapped away!SGCC – It *was* fabulous. It is so gone now!Ann – You definitely should try it!A. Grace – Yes, it is worthy of the spoonful!Suzanna – How fun to know that you have it in Portugal. I got about 10 tomatoes for USD$1.50.Cakespy – You would enjoy this then!Jessy – It was delicious, including the kick!Kalyn – Oh, just wait…there’s more!Ether – Glad you enjoy Peruvian food! I have been working on the huancaina sauce for a while and haven’t gotten it to where I love it. The ajiaco & pastel I haven’t tried yet. The Mote…That I am curious about. Doesn’t sound like something I know…do you know what region of Peruvian food they are cooking? Likely from the mountains, but if they told you what area, that would help.Laurie – So glad to introduce you to something new!Aran – I am very lucky here!Katie – Let me know if you do find them!Lydia – I hope you can get your hands on them, they are great in this sauce!Yaelian – Lucuma ice cream?!? I haven’t even brought up lucuma yet on the blog. I will one day!Rebecca – Hope you run across them one day.Jaime – It was delicious!Michelle – You should try this! You know you want to!