Lentil Bell Pepper Salad
For me, the Lentil Bell Pepper Salad was certainly the star of the Mediterranean meal this past month. It was not only flavorful but also incredibly nutrient rich!
I truly enjoy lentils, specifically “Baby Lentils” since the larger ones somewhat fall apart and I just don’t enjoy them. I brought French Lentils back from the states with me years ago and treasured the way they didn’t disintegrate into a lentil paste and never thought I would have found anything quite like them here. I stumbled upon Lentejas Bebe one day and have never gone back since. They are the perfect base for this delicious salad!
- 1 cup baby lentils, washed & soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Place the soaked lentils in a medium saucepan with water, lentils and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are softened but not mushy.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and key lime juice.
- Add cooked lentils, bell pepper and cilantro to the dressing. Stir to combine.