For me, the Lentil Bell Pepper Salad was certainly the star of the Mediterranean meal this past month. It was not only flavorful but also incredibly nutrient rich!
I truly enjoy lentils, specifically “Baby Lentils” since the larger ones somewhat fall apart and I just don’t enjoy them. I brought French Lentils back from the states with me years ago and treasured the way they didn’t disintegrate into a lentil paste and never thought I would have found anything quite like them here. I stumbled upon Lentejas Bebe one day and have never gone back since. They are the perfect base for this delicious salad!
- 1 cup baby lentils, washed & soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Place the soaked lentils in a medium saucepan with water, lentils and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are softened but not mushy.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and key lime juice.
- Add cooked lentils, bell pepper and cilantro to the dressing. Stir to combine.