The taste of passionfruit in a cake is delicious and the taste of this torte is unforgettable. If you are able to find passionfruit in your area, you will not regret baking this up for a lovely Sunday afternoon treat.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons passionfruit puree, divided
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a springform pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper, again coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/4 cup passionfruit puree. Repeat and then add the rest of the flour. Stir just until combined, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool pan in cake for 15 minutes.
- While the cake cools, whisk together remaining passionfruit puree and powdered sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over cake, then let cake cool completely in pan. Remove the sides and bottom of the pan and serve.
- Make your own ground almonds – check out this video!
- You can substitute the passionfruit puree for another tart juice – lime, lemon, grapefruit.
- Plan to make a dark cup of coffee to go with this.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Adapted from Baking Bites