Blog

Lime Loaf Cake [BWJ]

Lemon Loaf CakeI will admit it, I like Starbucks. There are plenty of people who have issues with the large coffee chain and promote the grassroot roaster, the little guy, the corner coffee shop and so on. I think that is terrific. But something I have learned about myself is that I really like consistency. I like going somewhere and knowing what is good, knowing what to request. Don’t get me wrong, I am always willing to try new things, to ask for new dishes at restaurants or to throw together a new recipe. All once I have had my morning coffee.

Lemon Loaf CakeSo many times I have shown up early for a morning meeting to have those moments to savor what I most appreciate at Starbucks: Grande Cafe Americano and a slice of Lemon Loaf. For me the bitter coffee paired with the sweet tart “breakfast” cake is more delicious than I can express with words. Although I can make myself a delicious cup of French pressed coffee each morning or visit my local(!) Starbucks, the thing that is ever so sad is that the Lemon Loaf has not been recreated here in Peru. Sure, we have delicious desserts and drinks you couldn’t even dream up using ingredients you have never heard of. But, no Lemon Loaf.

Lemon Loaf CakeAll that to say I certainly had high hopes for the Lemon Loaf Cake this week. I set aside some lemons that were sent to us from the jungle so I could use them instead of the standard lime that I typically use for tart desserts. But when I finally had the chance to look carefully at the recipe, I was dismayed to see there was only zest and no actual juice going into the Loaf. No juice?!? What is worse is the jungle lemons are not “pretty” and their zest would not have been welcome in my cake. Back to the standard limes I went.

Lemon Loaf CakeWhile this was “okay,” it was not GREAT and it was certainly not Starbucks’ Lemon Loaf (not that it ever claimed to be, I was just really hopeful!). Speaking of Starbucks Lemon Loaf – does someone have *THAT* recipe?! I am glad to have done this to see that I did get a nice fresh flavor from zest alone – although I do think the flavor was best on the second day. I served this with a delightful {Microwave} Lime Curd made from all those leftover limes I had zested.

Lemon Loaf Cake was hosted by Truc of Treats and Michelle of The Beauty of Life for Tuesdays With Dorie.

25 Responses to “Lime Loaf Cake [BWJ]”

1. I agree should have been more lemony!! But your photographs are gorgeous!!! I love the slices!!

Posted by baker in disguise | April 17, 2012, 5:31 am
  2. For me it came out very lemony and the smell was amazing too!

Posted by Im At Home Baking | April 17, 2012, 6:12 am
  3. Ah, the missing part of the recipe is that after you use the zest in the cake you drizzle a glaze made from the juice of one lemon and 1/4 c sugar over the hot cake right out of the oven. Poke it all over with a toothpick first so the glaze seeps in.
    This is my husband’s favourite. i have been making it for a long time.

Posted by Elizabeth | April 17, 2012, 6:33 am
  4. Love the pictures and the idea of curd. I added the juice of a lemon, that gave it a nice lemon flavor.

Posted by jane | April 17, 2012, 7:12 am
  5. I think most of us agree this cake needed a glaze or something. Lime is a great alternative!

Posted by Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes | April 17, 2012, 7:30 am
  6. Your cake looks great.. I like the subtle lemon zest flavor of it.. I found it too dense though, it definitely needs some cream, curd something to eat with, in my opinion..

Posted by Ferda | April 17, 2012, 11:15 am
  7. I loved it with lemon curd. Your lime curd looks just perfect – I bet it amped up the flavour beautifully.

Posted by Teresa | April 17, 2012, 3:49 pm
  8. Lovely!!! That curd looks so delicious :)

Posted by Taji | April 17, 2012, 4:18 pm
  9. Great post! It was very interesting to hear about the opportunities of baking in a different country. Creative idea to serve it with lime curd.

Posted by Janet | April 17, 2012, 5:58 pm
  10. Lime zest & lime curd sounds lovely.

This was a nice loaf, but definitley not S’bucks lemon loaf :-)

Posted by Cher | April 17, 2012, 8:58 pm
  11. Lime curd is one of my favorites. Always a good addition to anything citrus. I love your photos.

Posted by Lynn | April 17, 2012, 9:09 pm
  12. Pretty pictures! The lime curd does look great. My fave Sbux combo is a Hazelnut Americano with a Cranberry scone :-)

Posted by A | April 17, 2012, 9:49 pm
  13. Great pictures! And I love the idea of lime loaf. I developed an obsession with citrus curd last summer, and made lemon curd, lime, curd, lemon-lime curd, and lemon-lime curd ice cream!

Posted by gaaarp | April 18, 2012, 7:08 am
  14. Mine was pretty lemony but I added the juice of one lemon to the batter. I love your pictures!

Posted by Julia | April 18, 2012, 12:51 pm
  15. I love the idea of lemon curd. I did enjoy the loaf, but the curd would have been a great addition.

Posted by Carlene | April 18, 2012, 11:46 pm
  16. YUM! Lime sounds so yummy. I read on another blog that the flavors were better the next day, so I better go pull my lemon curd outta the fridge and try some today!! :)

Posted by Frolicking Night Owl | April 19, 2012, 12:26 am
  17. all those teeny limes look like a lot of work, and I’ve never heard of a microwave curd! the things I learn from all of the TWD’ers!

Posted by Marilyn | April 19, 2012, 11:51 am
  18. Your lime loaf looks fantastic! The curd looks really yummy too!

Posted by Julie F | April 19, 2012, 12:48 pm
  19. Thanks for stopping by my blog at http://www.praycookblog.com It is so fun baking with the group! IF you get the Starbucks Lemon Loaf … will you let me know? When I took this lemon loaf to friends the comment was, “Oh I hope it is as good as Starbucks.” Sadly, it was not. ha! ha!

Posted by Catherine Daugherty | April 19, 2012, 7:45 pm
  20. Your slices do really look perfect…I hope Starbucks brings their lemon loaf cake to Peru soon.
    : )

Posted by Amanda @ Auntie Treats | April 20, 2012, 9:00 am
  21. Lime curd sounds so good, I will have to try that! I hope that the lemon loaf comes down to you soon (or an equivalent recipe)!

Posted by Erin E | April 21, 2012, 7:07 pm
  22. i know how you feel…there used to be a small coffee shop near my first job that had a glazed lemon loaf cake that i loved. ina garten had a couple of good lemon loaf cake recipes.

Posted by steph (whisk/spoon) | April 23, 2012, 3:13 pm
  23. I’m so happy to have discovered your gorgeous blog! Your lemon cake looks absolutely perfect.
    -Lisa