Res a la Cerveza Negra // Dark Beer Braised Ribs
If you are looking for a stew rich in flavor, this is a top choice! The short ribs are braised in a dark beer sauce for enough time to make them soft and tender. You could use a different cut of beef if you prefer.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) short ribs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 bottle Cusqueña Cerveza Negra (substitute Guinness Stout or another dark beer)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup of Peruvian Pisco
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine flour, salt & pepper. Add beef to the flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the beef to the skillet and fry over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until the beef is lightly browned. Remove beef and keep warm.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for about 4 minutes or until the onion is lightly browned. Return the beef to the pan and add the stout beer, beef broth and cilantro. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Stir in the sugar and pisco. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Add butter and stir. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
If you are not able to find Peruvian Pisco, substitute with brandy.
This is delicious with rice, but could also be served with mashed potatoes or fettuccini alfredo.