Blog

Rustic Surprise [BWJ]

Pizza RusticaThere are those moments when you look at a recipe and it is almost as if the Hallelujah chorus breaks out – you know you have found the one! On that special day when you are sure to impress, you bring out the recipe, excited about your secret success around the corner. But, it seems like those are always the recipes that turn out “not as good as you expected” and you wish you hadn’t hoped so high, hadn’t invested so much.

On the other hand, there are a variety of recipes that, if I were truly being honest, I would skip right over. Sometimes it is the difficulty of finding the ingredients. Sometimes it is because the complication doesn’t seem to outweigh the final taste. Sometimes, I just have that feeling that it will wind up in the trash because it just wasn’t “great” and no one ate it.

Pizza RusticaThis weekend, I wavered. This recipe was smack dab in the second set of recipes. Complicated, difficult ingredients, and a recipe that was sure to be left uneaten. But, (thankfully!) I had that sneaky feeling. What if in the end this turns out terrific and I am missing out? What if everyone thinks it is delicious and I wind up left out of knowing it?

Pizza Rustica

The Homemade Ricotta Cheese was what pushed me over the edge. It is not to say that “ricotta” cheese isn’t sold here, because it is. But it is not the ricotta that I know. It is a hard, white, unflavorful brick of a cheese. What was I to do? I decided to try to make it myself and giggled with glee when I tasted it for the first time and found that I had a creamy batch of delicious, spreadable, flavorful ricotta cheese. Because I knew that a “cheese pie” wasn’t going to go over well here, I thought it best to fill it full of spinach. I bought fresh spinach which I cleaned, steamed and drained.

Pizza Rustica
Personally, I thought the crust was delicious. I did use powdered sugar instead of granulated because I am always worried it will wind up gritty if I use regular sugar. I used the Homemade Ricotta Cheese mixed with mozzarella & parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, a little salt and a pinch of nutmeg. As I assembled it, I had that feeling. This was going to be good.

And, it was. It was delicious. Even my DH thought the taste was very good but would have preferred shredded chicken in it or some kind of ham. Good to know for next time!

Pizza Rustica was hosted by Emily of Capitol Region Dining and Raelynn of The Place They Call Home for Tuesdays With Dorie.

29 Responses to “Rustic Surprise [BWJ]”

1. I like the look from the springform pan, and you pulled out all the stops on the filling!

Posted by Marilyn | April 3, 2012, 1:55 am
  2. It does sound like a truly winning combination!

Posted by bellini | April 3, 2012, 6:13 am
  3. Looks delicious & pretty too!

Posted by Im At Home Baking | April 3, 2012, 9:08 am
  4. I made homemade ricotta, too – such a difference! I really like the look of your spinach pie – very, very appetizing (and pretty, so tall and thick).

Posted by Karen @ SoupAddict | April 3, 2012, 9:52 am
  5. Glad you liked it! I thought the sweet crust was a little TOO sweet for the savory filling, but great idea to use spinach as well, that’s always a great partner for ricotta.

Posted by Genkinaonnna | April 3, 2012, 10:11 am
  6. Oh this look so lovely baked in a springform! what a great idea. and homemade ricotta puts any other form of ricotta to shame, it’s so dang easy too. What lovely photos! so excited to meet you via TWD!

Posted by Ace @ the toasted sprinkle | April 3, 2012, 10:48 am
  7. Spinach is a great idea. I bet it really livened up the filling.

Posted by Allison | April 3, 2012, 11:24 am
  8. Though I’ve eaten my own Pizza Rustica for the past two days straight, YOURS is making me drool all over again! Love the springform pan, and the addition of spinach.

Posted by Jen | April 3, 2012, 12:14 pm
  9. It looks amazing! I love the addition of the spinach!

Posted by Heather | April 3, 2012, 12:40 pm
  10. I’m going to have to try the homemade ricotta. Seems quite popular.

Posted by Heather | April 3, 2012, 1:34 pm
  11. LOL, I think we would have rathered some other fillings than just prosciutto and cheeses, but yours looked great :) And you have inspired me to make my own ricotta since I have recently fallen in love with it! You should try the pie dough with regular sugar, it doesnt come out grainy at all! :)

Posted by Alice | April 3, 2012, 4:38 pm
  12. Your pizza rustica looks fantastic, especially with the spinach.

Posted by Wendy | April 3, 2012, 5:59 pm
  13. What a beautiful pizza! I love how it looks with the spinach and I am so impressed that you made your own ricotta cheese. I am sure it was way better than store bought. Great post!

Posted by Elaine | April 3, 2012, 7:00 pm
  14. How lovely.
    Homemade ricotta is a thing of beauty (I can eat it by the spoonful). It looks like you certainly turned this one into a winner!

Posted by Cher | April 3, 2012, 9:29 pm
  15. home-made ricotta.. nice!!! i too went with spinach.. and added a bit of feta to it!! your pie really looks good!!

Posted by baker in disguise | April 4, 2012, 5:07 am
  16. Beautiful pie! I like the look of it with springform pan..

Posted by Ferda | April 4, 2012, 9:57 am
  17. Homemade Ricotta and spinach sounds heavenly. I was on the fence about making it but I’m so glad I did too!

Posted by Megan's Cookin' | April 4, 2012, 10:38 am
  18. your photos are great and really, love your filling choices! wish I had put a few different things in ours! :)

Posted by Alice | April 4, 2012, 12:39 pm
  19. Such a lovely rustica! And homemade ricotta…wow! How impressive! Nicely done!

Posted by Kathy | April 4, 2012, 5:48 pm
  20. Stunning!
    I need a slice.

Posted by MyKitchenInHalfCups | April 4, 2012, 8:59 pm
  21. Love the look of the pie baked in a loose bottom pan! Makes it look almost like a deep-dish pizza :-)

Posted by Janis | April 5, 2012, 5:03 am
  22. Love the look of doing it in the straight-sided cake pan! Excellent idea…. very nice end result :)

Posted by Stephanie B | April 5, 2012, 9:45 am
  23. It looks great, especially with the homemade ricotta.

Posted by KateDJ | April 6, 2012, 9:03 am
  24. It’s not always easy to adapt recipes when you might not have all the ingredients on hand and I’m impressed that you decided to make your own ricotta! It looked lovely. May I ask what recipe you used?

Posted by PetitPlat | April 7, 2012, 10:01 am
  25. I made ricotta too! YUM!! And I liked all your substitutions.

Posted by lauren | April 8, 2012, 5:05 pm
  26. that looks so delicious filled with greens! and homemade ricotta made it extra special, i’m sure.

Posted by steph (whisk/spoon) | April 9, 2012, 2:22 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] that reason, when we made the Pizza Rustica a couple weeks back, I decided to forgo the visit to the cheese counter and try to MAKE CHEESE at [...]