On many visits to the Andes mountains, I enjoyed the simple foods and the delicious spicy sauces that were served. There was just a different taste and texture to the sauce there.
Fresh cheese is produced throughout the mountain region and you will surely find crumbled fresh cheese mixed into the hottest of sauces. This particular sauce mixes both the red and green rocoto peppers along with the very unique herb, Huacatay to add a distinct, unforgettable flavor. This hot sauce was a perfect accompaniment to Peruvian Quinoa Soup. Although you may not be able to find these ingredients where you are, I hope you get the chance to try this when you visit Peru.
- 1 green rocoto, seeded and chopped
- 1 red rocoto, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) huacatay leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Combine the green & red rocoto peppers, the huacatay leaves and oil in a blender and puree until almost smooth. Add the salt and vinegar and continue to blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl and add lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, add the queso fresco.