Disappearing Shortbread [BWJ]

1. Passionfruit!! Good one… i substituted with plum!! Yours really came out well…:)

2. smarkies says:

Oooh… passionfruit! That sounds delicious!

3. Ckay says:

Your shortcake looks delicious.
    I loved it, and though I’d reduced the butter by 1/3 it still was great!
    Thanks for baking along!

Passionfruit jam… ooooh I must be dreaming! I don’t think they’ll sell it in Switzerland.
    Shall we swap? I send you the rhubarb :-)

4. Pati says:

It looks great! I love passion fruit, I will try it on my next batch!

5. Lola says:

Passionfruit sounds like a great idea and your pictures turned out very nice.

6. iluvsweets says:

Passion fruit! Oh, that sounds delicious. The adjustments you made sound great. Beautiful results!

7. Susan says:

Nice post. I made 1/2 the recipe to, and was very tempted to pre-bake the bottom. Good ideas!

8. Clivia says:

Your squares look perfect!

9. Judy says:

I think you were very wise to bake only half the dough, especially because it freezes so well. Your shortbread looks very delicious.

10. I made it with quince, since there´s no rhubarb, but the passionfruit is even better. I have some in my fridge, saved from the last ones of the summer and will make it soon! Nice pictures!

11. Rebecca says:

That is beautiful! The fruit must have tasted wonderful.

12. Alice says:

I think using these for a Christmas cookie would be great and yours turned out SO perfect! :)

13. melissa says:

passion fruit–that is genius!

14. Karen says:

hm, I don’t think I have every had passionfruit. Guess I need to try it. Fun to have pans that make designs on the shortbread! :)

15. Cher says:

Very lovely – I am sure the passionfruit jam made for a wonderful filling :-)

Thanks for baking a long this week.

16. Kathy says:

Simply beautiful…passionfruit sounds luscious!

17. Peggy says:

Your bottom layer looks so fluffy. I think I pressed too much on that one — my top was much better. Great substitution.

18. Hi Gretchen, What beautiful shortbread you made! I love the lightness and fluffy look. I think I over-baked mine because I didn’t feel the middle was set enough. Next time I may use less fruit (I used 2 cups). I also really like the idea of using less sugar in the crust. I am glad to know it still tasted good and I will do as you did next time and use less sugar. Thanks! Blessings, Catherine

19. Katrina says:

Ooh, passionfruit jam–yum. Love the yellow. This shortbread is dangerously good, enough that I stuck it all in the freezer for later. ;)

20. Mary Hirsch says:

Gretchen, This is why I like baking with people from around the world. Quince or passionfruit would never have been my choice of filling for Hungarian shortbread. Not in a million years. But now, since I really like this pastry bar, I will try them. When I make them again, I am going to use less sugar and less butter, too. And, your pre-baking the bottom layer was smart. I didn’t read the pre-chatter comments so didn’t do that and I felt my bottom layer was not entirely done. It still was delicious, however. I loved making these bars.

21. Alicia says:

Passionfruit sounds lovely! I agree with adding a bit more jam next time:)

22. Ferda says:

I love quince, sorry that your attempt for the jam didn’t work out.. Passionfruit sounds delicious though..

I halved the dough recipe but used the whole jam recipe by mistake.. It was very very tasty.. I am happy for my mistake after reading your comment about, you would like more jam in it..

23. Melanie says:

I’ve never had passionfruit before. I must try now! Wonderful pictures!!
    We loved this one too. I don’t have much experience making shortbread so I didn’t really have any expectations of how it should turn out. All I know is that this was yummy!!!

24. sanya says:

Passionfruit jam! That sounds amazingly delicious! I doubled the amount of rhubarb jam and loved the taste, it did make the shortbread a bit soggy though!
    Love your photos!

25. Trudy says:

My sister Patty (who is also doing the twd baking) linked to your post and your site. I was so excited to read some of your posts – I lived in Peru from 1967-1976 and remember so well the challenges of learning to cook in Peru – and how delicious the food was! I look forward to reading more of your posts; I’m bookmarking your site right now!

Happy cooking!

26. Marlise says:

I love your jam selections. And the pictures make your cake look delicious.

27. Saira says:

Lovely Shortbread :-)

28. Allison says:

Definitely not traditional shortbread (or at least not the tradition I am used to). Passion fruit sounds great. Now I am wishing I had chosen a more exotic jam.

29. Andrea says:

Hello Gretchen, what lovely pictures you took of the different stages of preparation – your passionfruit shortbread looks so delicious – great choice! Love your post!

Thank you also for your very nice comment – one of my daughters just told me to say “Hello” and is giggling right now, she was the first one I showed your comment to, her name is Gretchen. So she is sending a big “Hello” from Gretchen in Germany to Gretchen in Peru!

30. Looks like you found a new favorite. Great idea using passionfruit.

31. Kim says:

Your pictures are beautiful!

32. Elaine says:

Your photos are lovely. I bet the shortbread was delicious with passionfruit jam.

33. Hello, this shortbread looks so delicious mmmm…. ;)
    I told you that i was so happy that you’d come back and because of that i left i present for you in my blog. Hope you’ll like it

34. Teresa says:

I think passionfruit jam sounds like a great substitution. This was so wonderfully good. If it wasn’t so rich, I don’t think any would have lasted overnight.