Biscuits & Scones

Popovers! [BWJ]

Sometimes food seems magical to me. Marbled cakes look amazing to people who have never made one. Certain stews are made from such a variety of ingredients and all too often, it is mystery what and how much, but they are delicious! But this one is truthfully one that has always seemed to mystify and amaze me.

The ingredients are brought together using a blender or handblender, making the beating or mixing part much easier. The batter is smooth and pourable and easily you can fill muffins cups, ramekins or if you are chic, a true popever pan. The temperature and timing has often been the part I have never really “mastered” until now! I followed the numbers to a “T” and got great results! You have to understand, I am a “checker.” I need to make sure things are moving along correctly, and that usually means opening the oven to take a peek at what is going on. This time, I didn’t! And my trust and patience were greatly rewarded!! The popovers turned out better than I could have imagined! I have always found that the popovers have unpopped by the time I go to eat them. Usually they deflate as soon as they come out of the oven, which usually deflates my ego! Imagine my surprise when these popovers did nothing of the sort! They stayed golden, perfect puffs even as we enjoyed eating them.

Popovers! [BWJ]

Yield: 9 servings

Source: Adapted from Baking With Julia

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preparation

1. Prepare a muffin pan by coating the cups with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 425F.
  3. Combine eggs, flour, milk, water, salt and butter in a blender or in a cup or bowl of a hand blender. Blend until completely combined and the batter is smooth. Pour into prepared muffin cups, about 1/4 cup of batter per cup.
  4. Bake at 425F for 25 minutes, then turn down to 350F and bake for 15 more minutes. Avoid opening the oven.
  5. Transfer popovers to a cooling rack. Eat them while they are still hot!

Have you ever eaten a popover? What do you eat them with?

Provecho!

12 Responses to “Popovers! [BWJ]”

1. these are really looking good.. making me take back my verdict on this recipe!! the pic with a popover broken in half and then filled with some preserve looks fantastic!!

Posted by baker in disguise | August 21, 2012, 9:22 am
  2. Wonderful pictures! You made beautiful popovers, so glad you liked them!

Posted by Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes | August 21, 2012, 9:43 am
  3. Beautiful popovers and photos.. I enjoyed mine with feta and honey..

Posted by Ferda | August 21, 2012, 11:10 am
  4. Beautiful popovers! :)

Posted by Jessica of My Baking Heart | August 21, 2012, 11:52 am
  5. Perfect! So glad these worked so well for you

Posted by Spike | August 21, 2012, 1:09 pm
  6. Your picutures are great and they must be delicious filled with butter and jam.

Posted by Ckay | August 21, 2012, 1:28 pm
  7. I can’t wait to make these for my grand kids. Should I call them ‘magic muffins’ or ‘monster muffins’?
    Whatever they are called they are delicious.

Posted by Cindy Harris | August 21, 2012, 5:50 pm
  8. Your photos are lovely – makes me want to get some more popovers in the oven right away!

Posted by Teresa | August 22, 2012, 3:03 pm
  9. Gorgeous photos and popovers! I love how you popped the top and added the jam. We had fun with these too! A keeper for sure.

Posted by Cathleen | August 22, 2012, 11:41 pm
  10. Mmmm, popovers! Yours look fabulous. Perfectly crispy on the outside with a nice big hole in the center.

Is that jam inside your popover? I’ve never seen jam in popovers although I’ve heard that many people do that. Our favourite thing with popovers is chicken a l’orange. With LOTS of orange gravy.

For me, popovers suddenly became foolproof when I started making sure that the eggs and milk began at room temperature before mixing the batter. I use our family recipe for popovers which calls for the fat to be heated in the muffin tins til smoking hot and then the batter poured into the hot fat. Mum always used the fat from the roast beef but we never have a roast large enough to produce that amount of fat. I use olive oil laced with a little butter.

Posted by Elizabeth | August 23, 2012, 5:46 pm
  11. Congratulations! They´re really perfect.

Posted by Yamile Barraza | August 27, 2012, 2:37 pm
  12. Your popovers came out beautifully – love the pictures with the jam filling.

Posted by Cher | August 27, 2012, 9:45 pm