Waldorf Salad for Christmas
Waldorf Salad is a delicious combination of tart apples, crisp celery, sweet raisins and crunchy nuts, that can be served for holidays or anytime!
I love making meals with friends into special gatherings, because they are! We celebrated last week with a delicious meal. It wasn’t a traditional Peruvian meal of rice, stew, and salad but instead included dishes that would typically be served at Christmas time. The salad I chose to serve was one I have never seen or tasted here in Peru but it seems to be included in all of the Christmas Meals “on paper.” I am still not sure who must create the written versions, because most people haven’t heard of the things they include. Nevertheless, I chose to make Waldorf Salad using the variety of ingredients available here and had high hopes that some of the guests might enjoy it.
They thought the Waldorf Salad looked like ceviche, and I have to admit, it did. But thankfully, they were all willing to try a few slices of the apples and truth be told, they were hooked!
Between the tart apples, crisp celery, sweet raisins and crunch of the nuts, this Waldorf Salad was truly a winner! Everyone commented on how tasty it was and my husband, known for refusing anything with celery, made sure to ask for the last serving after everyone had gone home. In just a week, I have managed to make this Waldorf Salad 3 times. Three! We love the delicious combination and I think you will too!
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large crisp apples, such as Gala
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3 cups torn lettuce (Bibb, Romaine)
- To make the dressing, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, parsely, honey, lime zest, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- To make the salad, cut apples into thin slices and place in a medium bowl. Cover quickly with lime juice and stir to prevent browning. To the apples, add celery, raisins and pecans.
- Pour dressing over the apple mixture and stir to combine. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine well. Serve over lettuce.